Wrong Colour picker values

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jamie Dickinson

Wrong Colour picker values

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi - Can anyone else confirm this? [I also posted this in LGG] I found this issue where I'm getting very odd values back from the 'Show picker RGB values' option. I found that I get values as I'd expect but only when 'Video Monitoring>Use 4:4:4 SDI' is turned off. When that's turned on I get very odd values which make no sense to me. (I need to have this turned on because it affects the 10bit flag on HDMI out).

I'm on Windows 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Decklink 4k, Desktop Video 10.9.11 (and on 10.9.10) and Resolve Studio 14.3 (same on 14.2.1

Michael Del Papa

Re: Wrong Colour picker values

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Can you be more specific about where exactly you are seeing problems? For example, is this against a known value like on a test pattern? And which colors exactly? There are many reasons a color picker can report a suspicious value.

Hector Berrebi

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 12:46 pm

Michael I have the same issue and posted about it in the past

Its just that, on any color the values are off when monitoring 4:4:4

Almost seems like I'm getting values from the 0:2:2 stream of my dual link SDI connection

I always thought it was a bug in my specific setup having to do with an older Decklink and dual link 4:4:4 monitoring.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Jamie Dickinson

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Yes, I'm using HD SMPTE bars in a Compound clip. With 444 turned off, everything is as I'd expect, black grey or white areas give equal R,G,B values and at the values I'd expect. With 444 monitoring tuned on I get R values nearly always much lower than, G and B (if I remember correctly, grey which should be equal around 038 is giving R=012 G=204 B=204) but white gives around 058. Can anyone else recreate or explain this? (Thanks Hector, I'm not alone!)

Return to DaVinci Resolve