DaVinci Resolve will no longer open after OS upgrade

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

urquidio

DaVinci Resolve will no longer open after OS upgrade

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 11:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm using DaVinci Resolve 12 on my MacBook Pro for a project and my OS recently automatically updated to High Sierra. However, after that update DaVinci Resolve will no longer open.

When I launch it, it pops up the "DaVinci Resolve 12" startup screen where it says "Looking for Control Surface" and then the application mysteriously quits. Has anyone seen this behavior? What should I do?

I don't want to lose the work that I have done so far on this project, so should I reinstall DaVinci Resolve? Will this erase my old projects? Should I update DaVinci Resolve?

I don't really understand how DaVinci Resolve handles project files. In most programs (e.g., Adobe Premiere or After Effects), you can go to "File" and open a project file that you have placed anywhere in your directory structure, and that file can be copied anywhere and as long as the assets are linked you can open it again with Premiere. However, on Resolve, the files seem to be tied with the program itself and saved in some strange directory structure.

So I am not really sure what I should do to rescue my files and get started working on Resolve again. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance.

urquidio

Re: DaVinci Resolve will no longer open after OS upgrade

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 2:58 pm

So I looked online and found that by default the DaVinci Resolve files are stored in this directory on a Mac:

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Resolve Disk Database/Resolve Projects/Users/<username>/Projects/

I went there and found directories named after each one of my Resolve projects. So if I copy one of these project directories to a safe location, then reinstall DaVinci Resolve, and then copy the directory back here after installation, would I be able to open up the new install of Resolve and seamlessly continue working on that project? Is that all I need to do to save my work on this project? Or do I need to manually backup anything else?

Thanks for your help in advance!

-M

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 2:57 am

A normal Resolve uninstall/reinstall won't touch the existing data.

However, you should certainly make a copy of the Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Resolve Disk Database/Resolve Projects folder for safety.

I've seen a few recent reports of upgrading to High Sierra breaking Resolve 12 systems. I just tested Resolve 12.5.6 on an NVIDIA equipped 5,1 MacPro tower and a 6,1 MacPro cylinder running High Sierra and had no issues. So I'm not sure why this upgrade would make Resolve not run, unless you have an NVIDIA GPU and have not updated CUDA and the NVIDIA Web Driver, if using one.

So if you reinstall Resolve, all your data should still be sitting there, if Resolve runs.

If Resolve does not run, open a Finder window and navigate to /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve and run CaptureLogs. Put the file it generates on a file sharing site and post a link to the file here.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

urquidio

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 4:07 pm

Thanks Dwaine for your reply. I haven't reinstalled DaVinci Resolve yet (still trying to figure out how to do that) but I did run CaptureLogs on the version I currently have and got the following zip file:

DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20180225-080255.tgz
(676.75 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

Please let me know if this file gives you some insight into what might be going wrong with DaVinci Resolve, and if there is a way to fix it.

Thanks!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 9:44 pm

Why are you using 12.3.1 Resolve? At least use 12.5.6, if you want to stick in the 12 era.

Resolve does not see a CUDA capable GPU. Your GT750M should work, so I might suspect you don't have the CUDA driver installed. If you look in Mac System Preferences, do you have a CUDA selection at the bottom? If not, you need to install that. I would recommend CUDA 8.0.90 as a start:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html
Dwaine Maggart

urquidio

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi Dwaine,

Thanks for your reply. I checked my System Preferences and I did have CUDA installed, but I had to update it. Even after doing so, however, DaVinci Resolve 12 still crashes. Here's the latest log file:

DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20180304-104116.tgz
(677.08 KiB) Downloaded 58 times

So I think the next steps are to reinstall DaVinci Resolve 12. I was using 12.3.1 because I was working on a large project and did not want to upgrade/reinstall in the middle of it because of the way that Resolve handles the project files. I was afraid I would lose my work.

But I guess I have to do it now?

Thanks for your help.

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 7:28 pm

Upgrade is bad thing, high Sierra must be installed.to fresh disk. There are a large number of situation where upgrade to high Sierra cause a lots of problems
Every os must be installed.fresh, not over old.os, due many problems about old library, wasting space, mixed version of library and more.

Inviato dal mio E6653 utilizzando Tapatalk

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 6:13 pm

If you were in the middle of a project and concerned with losing your work, it was probably a bad idea to upgrade from 10.10.5 Yosemite to 10.13.2 High Sierra.

I've confirmed 12.3.1 won't run on High Sierra.

So either try 12.5.6 and hopefully your project should be OK.

Or go back to Yosemite and keep using 12.3.1.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve