Crashing: GTX1080 vs Titan Xp vs Vega 64 Frontier Edition

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Darren Abate

Crashing: GTX1080 vs Titan Xp vs Vega 64 Frontier Edition

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 11:41 pm

I want to tell you guys about something that surprised me... In a nutshell, it's that Resolve seems to run more reliably for me when using a Radeon Vega 64 Frontier Edition GPU. I'll explain.

Since Version 14 was released, I've been having issues with Resolve crashing very frequently. Way too often. I didn't have this problem with ver. 14 Beta though. Just each version of the full release. I think that was my first experience with a beta version of anything being more reliable than the final release. Anywho...

I was originally running an Asus Turbo GTX1080 8GB GPU. I figured the problem could be that I didn't have enough VRAM so I bought a Radeon Vega 64 Frontier Edition card simply because it's chock full of VRAM -- 16GB of it. Problem Solved. Resolve didn't crash at all and once I played with the drivers for a bit, it seemed that the Vega was providing roughly the same performance as my GTX1080. I can accept that.

But then I got curious... Was the problem actually the amount of VRAM I had or was it an issue with the NVIDIA card vs. the Radeon card? Or both? In order to satisfy my curiosity I ordered a new Titan Xp with 12GB of VRAM to see if it would be as stable as the Vega. Guess what? It crashes too.

So my next question is: is the 12GB of VRAM on board the Titan Xp simply still not enough for a stable Resolve or is it something to do with the NVIDIA card/drivers? Would twin Titans totaling 24GB VRAM solve the problem? Someone weigh in, because I don't think I can spend another 1200.00 on a second Titan just to test my updated theory...

My system:

Intel 6900K 8-core
32GB RAM
Titan Xp 12GB

System Info 2.PNG
System Info 2.PNG (56.59 KiB) Viewed 2469 times

System Info.PNG
System Info.PNG (72.39 KiB) Viewed 2469 times

Jack Fairley

Re: Crashing: GTX1080 vs Titan Xp vs Vega 64 Frontier Editio

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 11:51 pm

Adding a second Titan will not increase your VRAM, it is not additive. 12GB should be plenty comfortable for UHD work, so unless you're doing some insane stuff, my guess is that you have a driver issue, or other system issue. Try using DDU to uninstall your display drivers, and install the latest Nvidia release.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Darren Abate

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 12:00 am

I blew away the Nvidia drivers when I installed the Vega, so when the Titan went in, it also got a fresh install of the latest drivers. I'm wondering is anyone else is having this problem and not realizing that it could be a GPU issue.

So if the VRAM isn't additive, then how does Resolve split up the work if you have two GPUs installed? I didn't realize that was the case.

Jack Fairley wrote:Adding a second Titan will not increase your VRAM, it is not additive. 12GB should be plenty comfortable for UHD work, so unless you're doing some insane stuff, my guess is that you have a driver issue, or other system issue. Try using DDU to uninstall your display drivers, and install the latest Nvidia release.
-------------------------------------
Darren Abate - Colorist

Jack Fairley

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 am

Darren Abate wrote:So if the VRAM isn't additive, then how does Resolve split up the work if you have two GPUs installed? I didn't realize that was the case.

Same data is stored in VRAM of both cards and processed, as far as I understand. There is not a fast enough connection between the two cards to pool the VRAM effectively. Nvidia has NVLink on their (super expensive) niche products for this purpose, but I believe it requires implementation in software to be used.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 3:10 am

Darren Abate wrote:I blew away the Nvidia drivers when I installed the Vega, so when the Titan went in, it also got a fresh install of the latest drivers. I'm wondering is anyone else is having this problem and not realizing that it could be a GPU issue.

So if the VRAM isn't additive, then how does Resolve split up the work if you have two GPUs installed? I didn't realize that was the case.

Jack Fairley wrote:Adding a second Titan will not increase your VRAM, it is not additive. 12GB should be plenty comfortable for UHD work, so unless you're doing some insane stuff, my guess is that you have a driver issue, or other system issue. Try using DDU to uninstall your display drivers, and install the latest Nvidia release.

You need to have the correct CUDA and Nvidia drivers for the card installed. We get good and reliable performance from the Xp so its a setup issue you have.

Resolve accesses the GPUs at a much deeper level than most apps and was written for multiple GPU operation 10 years ago with consistent performance updates over the years. The GPU memory is fully used on each GPU separately and so there are no shared resources.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Darren Abate

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 2:32 am

Peter-- Can you please let me know which version of the Titan Xp drivers you are running? I'm running the latest version (currently 390.77) but I've been having the same problem with every version, and each Nvidia card I've tried (Titan Xp & GTX1080) since ver. 14 came out of beta. I'm only aware of one set of drivers for the Titan Xp, so if there are some others that I should try please let me know. I should reiterate that when I swap out the Titan Xp for the Vega64 FE (running "gaming" set, not "pro" set of drivers -- gaming drivers run faster in Resolve), the problem goes away completely and Resolve is rock solid. With the Nvidia cards installed, I literally have to save after everything I do in Resolve, because it's going to crash. Any idea what else I can try to make it stable?

Best,

D

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
Darren Abate wrote:I blew away the Nvidia drivers when I installed the Vega, so when the Titan went in, it also got a fresh install of the latest drivers. I'm wondering is anyone else is having this problem and not realizing that it could be a GPU issue.

You need to have the correct CUDA and Nvidia drivers for the card installed. We get good and reliable performance from the Xp so its a setup issue you have.

Resolve accesses the GPUs at a much deeper level than most apps and was written for multiple GPU operation 10 years ago with consistent performance updates over the years. The GPU memory is fully used on each GPU separately and so there are no shared resources.

PeterMoretti

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 2:52 am

One thing I would suggest is checking your motherboard's user guide and be sure that you are installing the video card into the correct slot. I was having problems with my system and realized that I had installed my card in the wrong slot (I read the mobo's manual incorrectly). Once I moved it, the problem went away.

Just an idea.

Also, can you post a link to Resolve crash logs?
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Darren Abate

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 5:20 am

The card is indeed installed into the correct slot, which in this case is #1 16x. Status in BIOS confirms running in 16x mode.

I'll try to post a crash log in a few minutes.

D

PeterMoretti wrote:One thing I would suggest is checking your motherboard's user guide and be sure that you are installing the video card into the correct slot. I was having problems with my system and realized that I had installed my card in the wrong slot (I read the mobo's manual incorrectly). Once I moved it, the problem went away.

Just an idea.

Also, can you post a link to Resolve crash logs?
Darren Abate - Colorist

Darren Abate

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 5:29 am

Here is a link to logs that I just generated. Not sure if this is what is needed?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wje6rwutyjw5 ... 7.zip?dl=0

PeterMoretti

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 5:47 am

Have your tried explicitly setting Resolve to use CUDA by going into DaVinci Resolve... Preferences... Hardware Configuration... System and changing the GPU processing mode from Auto to CUDA?
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Darren Abate

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 6:48 am

Yes, it's on manual setting.

PeterMoretti wrote:Have your tried explicitly setting Resolve to use CUDA by going into DaVinci Resolve... Preferences... Hardware Configuration... System and changing the GPU processing mode from Auto to CUDA?
Darren Abate - Colorist

Return to DaVinci Resolve