ColorTrace crashes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Erwan Robert-Thomasson

ColorTrace crashes

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 4:36 pm

hi,
here is a bug I encountered with 14.3
just wanted to color trace a video clip to color grade the TV version.
after selecting every correct shot I hit "copygrade and exit" and davinci resolve crashes.

here is the log file : https://mab.to/7N9LT03I4

I tried changing setting in the ColorTrace window but it'd invariably crash

workaround was to create a timeline with 10 clips, color trace it with no bug, paste it to the main timeline and then do it again with the 10 followind clips...

erwan

Marc Wielage

Re: ColorTrace crashes

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 6:09 am

What OS? What hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, I/O)? What type of camera source files?

I have run into irregularities before with ColorTrace where I've seen it crash just when the scroll bar is adjusted and the thumbnails move from left to right. Frustratingly, this would happen after I did 60 or 70 or 80 shots, and then when I scrolled to the next 10 shots... boom. But that was several years ago with Resolve 12.

Since 12.5, it's been pretty stable. Are these big timelines? Complex node windows? With features, I find I generally get faster system performance by chopping the film down to 20-minute timelines, then re-assembling everything for final delivery. If I do it in 20-minute increments, ColorTrace works fine for me.

In one memorable incident, the computer crashed and basically lost the session. As luck would have it, we had a backup and wound up using all the stills to provide all the DRX grades, and I was able to rebuild the entire session in a few hours. But that was an extreme example -- I suspect the computer was unstable because the internal drive was in the process of failing.

But in general, ColorTrace is reliable and is ideal for what you're trying to deal: copy over color-corrections from an existing project to a newly-edited version of the same project.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Erwan Robert-Thomasson

Re: ColorTrace crashes

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 10:02 am

hi marc,
yes sorry, this was more like a bug report, everything is in the zip file.

windows 10 / dual titan X / dual xeon 2687w / 64go ram / dlink 4k
davinci 14.3
5 min of video clip of mp4 A7S footage

Return to DaVinci Resolve