Very sorry but got to bring up gamma shift.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lloyd Aygun

Very sorry but got to bring up gamma shift.

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 10:24 am

I know this has been going on for years and understand there's been some explanation in the Resolve manual about limitations of computer monitors but what do you all do in this case? I've done a quick correction to send out to a client (to approve the edit) and the gamma shift once opening in QT or VLC is horrible.

What do you all do to make sure you clients are seeing what you want them to? I know they'll be looking at it either on a phone or iPad or Mac so I don't know what to do in order to make sure they get a good image to look at.

Any help is really appreciated.

Resolve Grade 1.jpg
Resolve
Resolve Grade 1.jpg (887.98 KiB) Viewed 1151 times

QT X 2.jpg
QT
QT X 2.jpg (975.66 KiB) Viewed 1151 times

VLC 2.jpg
VLC
VLC 2.jpg (960.11 KiB) Viewed 1151 times

JPOwens

Re: Very sorry but got to bring up gamma shift.

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 6:05 pm

Looks more like a "full range" vs. "Video level" problem to me. What do your 'scopes say?

jpo, CSI

Jim Simon

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Lloyd Aygun wrote:What do you all do to make sure you clients are seeing what you want them to?

The only thing you can do is suggest they watch on a calibrated TV from a hardware player. Keep the computer out of it.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Lloyd Aygun wrote:I know this has been going on for years and understand there's been some explanation in the Resolve manual about limitations of computer monitors but what do you all do in this case? I've done a quick correction to send out to a client (to approve the edit) and the gamma shift once opening in QT or VLC is horrible.

What do you all do to make sure you clients are seeing what you want them to? I know they'll be looking at it either on a phone or iPad or Mac so I don't know what to do in order to make sure they get a good image to look at.

Any help is really appreciated.

Resolve Grade 1.jpg

QT X 2.jpg

VLC 2.jpg

I can see that VLC is oversaturated and this is because you most likely have new P3 screen and VLC preview is not color managed. It's totally wrong. Forget about it on new Mac screens.

2 other grabs. Yes, this is typical mismatch which is related to fact that MOV flagging is still only half decent, so QT X conversion to screen profile is not always based on correct math (mainly wrong gamma).
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 6:56 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Lloyd Aygun wrote:What do you all do to make sure you clients are seeing what you want them to?

The only thing you can do is suggest they watch on a calibrated TV from a hardware player. Keep the computer out of it.

You can do it, but if in 90% clients will watch it on their Mac screens you may end up with not desired look at all.
Key issue here is fact that Resolve (even with managed viewers) gives different preview than QT X (in theory they should match at least for one gamma settings). QT X always uses Rec.709 math (if files are tagged as Rec.709) to go to screen profile. Resolve viewer seems to never match it (well- I sort of established that for Rec.709 OSX color engine uses 1.96 gamma, which is not a choice in Resolve). If someone judges look in Resolve GUI it will mean (specially with 2.4 gamma setting ) massive look mismatch with QT X. This is key issue here, not fact if this view is in line with Rec.709 reference monitor or not.
Now with new P3 screens this became even bigger issue as things go crazy bad if you don't use OSX color managed viewer.

As I said in my other post. You can have Rec.709 2.4 gamma project, export ProRes. It will be tagged as Rec.709 (1-1-1 in file info on Mac). Problem is that QT X when converting to screen profile is not going to use 2.4 gamma (as Resolve did I assume) but whatever is hidden under Rec.709 tagging (which based on my tests is 1.96).
What you can do to fix it is to change ProRes file tagging to 1-2-1 (Rec.709 except for Transfer Function you use value 2 which is Unspecified). Now what you also need to add is old fashion QT gamma tag and use value of eg. 2.2. File gets darker straight away, so good sign. We change gamma to 2.4. This in theory should give us exactly the same QT X preview as Resolve but it still doesn't. Very end of the gamma curve is different and QT X preview is bit brighter at very end of blacks (question - is 2.4 gamma setting in Resolve pure 2.4 gamma curve or some hybrid one?).
QT X relies on file tag, but it understands only few possible settings. Most files are tagged as Rec.709 (1-1-1), but this can be done in Resolve with 2.2 or 2.4 gamma etc. so QT X has no chance to always match to Resolve preview (but it should match for at least one gamma setting, which is probably 1.96 and not a option in Resolve :D ). At least there is someone else who thinks QT uses 1.96 gamma: https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic ... in-export/

Funny enough for Rec.709 flagging with custom 2.2 gamma tag you get 99.99% match between Resolve and QT X preview even on P3 screen with all additional gamut conversion (so looks like there is some fix conversions based on 2.2 going on in the path- probably from Resolve to screen).

Return to DaVinci Resolve