NAB - The Big Surprise

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Noel Sterrett

NAB - The Big Surprise

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 8:23 pm

I trying to guess what the biggest Resolve surprise from BMD at NAB will be.

I'll vote for a Fusion page. Anyone have something better?

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

JPOwens

Re: NAB - The Big Surprise

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Noel Sterrett wrote:I'll vote for a Fusion page. Anyone have something better?

I was thinking that Resolve would become a node in Fusion, so that we could use it as a camera in the 3-D world.

Be that as it may I am not actually using 14 yet. No need.

jPo, CSI

Noel Sterrett

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 8:58 pm

JPOwens wrote:I was thinking that Resolve would become a node in Fusion, so that we could use it as a camera in the 3-D world.

Each Resolve page would be a node in Fusion. :D

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures

Kays Alatrakchi

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 9:46 pm

For one I'm hoping for a substantial re-thinking of Fairlight integration in Resolve. For the time being I find it to be quite frustrating and poorly implemented.

As far as the Fusion stuff, as some of you might already know, there is a great deal of discontent among some of the users:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=69474

The way I see it is not that Resolve will be brought into Fusion, or that Fusion will become a new page in Resolve, but rather that more and more elements of Fusion will find their way into Resolve. We already started to see this with all of the OFX stuff currently in Resolve. I see more capabilities being added that blur the line between VFX and NLE. Some of it might be as simple as comprehensive titling and graphics implementation. But some of it might be more advanced like the ability to have a true 3D camera tracker, and a rendering engine right into Resolve. At first it could be simple stuff like extruding text and placing it into a shot, but it would grow to include the capability of bringing in geometry from another app like Houdini.

I really see things heading this way, and I see the industry (particularly the indie crowd) heading in that direction also. I know that many of you are lucky to have a single specialty, but from my side of things that is changing quickly, with more and more editors doing grading, some VFX, and audio editing. To me it's only natural that Blackmagic would pick up on those trends, and even set them or accelerate the pace toward the one-man-band type of artist.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Hector Berrebi

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 9:52 pm

Noel Sterrett wrote:I trying to guess what the biggest Resolve surprise from BMD at NAB will be.

I'll vote for a Fusion page. Anyone have something better?

Cheers.

please no... Can't see how adding more trades into Resolve will make it better.
I'd rather have a preference setting allowing me to hide Fairlight :)

But incorporating more Fusion-ness into Resolve's compositing capabilities would be a blessing...
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Tony Martin

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 12:16 am

Hector Berrebi wrote:I'd rather have a preference setting allowing me to hide Fairlight :)

Me 2!
Me 4!
:? ...
Me [n]

Marc Wielage

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 12:41 am

JPOwens wrote:Be that as it may I am not actually using 14 yet. No need.

I said that until I was finally able to switch to v14 a few months ago, and I'm using tons and tons of the new features, particularly some OFX plug-ins and the organizational tools. I still have 12.5 loaded and ready on another boot partition "just in case," but I haven't used it since December.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dermot Shane

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 4:28 am

last year i set aside $4k for two licences of Refusion, thinking Resolve @1k + Fusion @1k = Refusion @2k...

instead i got Resolve for $300... with the audio throughtly messed up and still no useful paint, comp or gfx tools...

love to see what happens next... i''m pretty sure the F'd_light page will get sorted eventualy, but i'm also thinking that man hours needed to haul that trainwreck out of the gully it's in now means the rest of the tools are not gong to see much love in 2018

and i'd love to be just as wrong as last year

Marc Wielage

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 8:00 am

Tough crowd! ;)

Frank Glencairn

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 9:45 am

Hector Berrebi wrote:I'd rather have a preference setting allowing me to hide Fairlight :)

It's already hidden, unless you click on the icon :roll:
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Glenn Venghaus

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 3:39 pm

One persons trainwreck is the other persons amazing gift of a great audio DAW solution. :mrgreen:
Fairlight is amazing with a few small missing pieces here and there. BM , big thanks !!!!
(A ferrari is also a ******* car if you cant find where the on button is and dont want to learn. Nothing to do with the ferrari :lol: :lol: )

But on topic, fusion integration seems like a given at some point in the future, but way to early. First 1-2 years stabilisation , rince out the last bugs etc.

If they clean up the fusion connect function that has more value for the short term. Number one on that list is adding re-conform option to FC clips instead of chiseled path in stone for ever after creation.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Dermot Shane

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 4:58 pm

guess i'm spolied by haveing a more than a decade of seat time on a hero box.... the roundtrip to Fusion has no particular advantage over just exporting plates to Nuke/Flame/Mamba/Mocha on and on, and Fusion is not as competent a tool set in return

that said, i have not tried Fusion9, i had to give up on v8 due to trackers that are really not very good, and no way to import tracks from Mocha

i have no say in the evaluation of the GFX/title tools in Resolve, Deluxe QC fails them, period flat final, so titles and GFX need to be done elswhere already

given the current inablity to cleanly & safely route tracks from edit to deliver, means the compromisd ablity to deliver masters from Resolve, is now unworkable, v12.5 was workable with titles/GFX rondtripped from a system that produces clean professional resualts

nice that there's a prosumer DAW, nice that there's a prosumer GFX/titles tool, folks want that, all good

i'm after best tools, not good enough / prosumer tools, my cleints are paying for "best" resualts, not "good enough/prosumer" resualts

as to learning new tools? my time is better likely spent on Baselight5's Basegrade - there's some color tools that are new, real world developments for the "best" resualts world

and Nucoda has whispered about a free version of their software.

like Glen, i'm thinking it's been a year of consolidaion and cleanup, but i'd love to be wrong and have something surpriseing pop out

Jean Claude

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 6:34 pm

Humbly, I would like Davinci's delivery page, there is a solution to have the ability to send via pipe data directly to another application, for example Fusion (we will save time). In short, a delivery Fusion connect.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

roger.magnusson

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 7:30 pm

True piping capability would be awesome. But not the way Fusion Connect is implemented since that simply writes the frames to disk.

Glenn Venghaus

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 8:09 pm

I have another one... True render farm support (frame based )

Other then that i am patient and fully in line with Dermots thinking regarding quality , whihc in the places he is at is an absolute must. I can much easier live with bugs and a mor adventurous kit. But all major stuf started at some point smaller and with bugs and less feastures. I see through the woods the potenttial and the power of what BM developers have and still can achieve given time.
The future is bright
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Glenn Venghaus

NAB - The Big Surprise

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 8:15 pm

Ps with fusion connect i dont care about fusion. Using it with nuke all the time and custom scripting and works super. One click in resolve to nuke, auto opens with fully build node tree, aces , viewer luts in oace, whetever i have defined , touch-up and back in resolve. Workflow heaven. Think out of the box...
For the non techies , it would be nice if it worked out of the box for other tools as well.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 9:46 pm

I would like to see half of my suggestions in the big davinci thread done.

And a cookie
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Glenn Venghaus

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 11:22 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:And a cookie

Sent...... (might take a while from Amsterdam and may not be fresh when it arrives, but its the thought that counts)

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 2:13 am

Glenn Venghaus wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:And a cookie

Sent...... (might take a while from Amsterdam and may not be fresh when it arrives, but its the thought that counts)

Lovely!
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Kye Leslie

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 3:35 am

Interesting discussion about tighter Fusion and Resolve integration.

I see that there are two worlds now colliding - the industry (which remembers film, is used to round-tripping and knows what interlacing is) and the YouTube and amateur communities (products of the DSLR revolution, who don't remember film, think round-tripping is a PITA and don't know what standards are because VLC and YT play whatever you throw at them).

My reading of the tea-leaves is that BM is trying to capture as much of the lower-end of the market (indie filmmakers, YT crowd, and amateurs) as it can without annoying the industry, who want the very best, and rightly so. If we've learned one thing from big tobacco, it's that if you hook them when they're young you'll have a customer for life, and this is good for BM when some of them will end up with industry careers and will be looking at things like BM cameras and all the fun studio boxes etc. BM is basically a hardware company with Resolve as almost a marketing tool.
This is how I interpret the integration of the editor and fairlight pages, and the radical price drop.

In terms of what I, as an over-enthusiastic amateur, want.. I'm not sure. I like the idea that Resolve gets some of the functionality of Fusion without getting the whole thing (and me having to learn to fly the space shuttle before I can get Fusion to work). Quite a lot of productions would benefit from things mentioned above, like a 3D camera, fancy titles, etc.
But having said that, I got Resolve at 12.5 and the v14 update was like many christmases at once, so I'm still learning all of that. :)

Chip.Murphy

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 6:28 am

Total pie in the sky hope would be for a DAM to try and dethrone Interplay.

But realistically, I really hope we get a 14.5 version that just focuses on enhancing the current build instead of adding a ton of new features.

-importing xmls with offline clips should show offline clips in the media pool

-better xml export support for premiere that shows project resolution in it instead of the current lack of data from resolve.

-smart caching in collaborative projects. Even better if it can utilize available render machines on postgres

-redesigned render workflow. Project prioritization in render queues and automatic splitting of individual source clip projects among render machines. There's no reason an hour long show should only be submitted to a single render box when 10+ are available.

-fix Cineform rendering so it can harness the power of your hardware. No reason for 40 fps when I can get 300 in ProRes.

-make fairlight audio routing easy for colorists.

-encrypt postgres passwords in config files and key files from the project manager.

This is a weird one, but it would be great to see Media Express transformed into a seperate Resolve Play/Capture app. This would be great since we wouldn't have to rely on VLC, Switch or Quicktime and clients could easily download it.

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 7:15 am

QC page for audio and video assets with metadata validation - essentially a paired bookend to the Media page.

For the editors - an updated and expanded Fairlight Pyxis Edit and Mix controller

For the audio folks - ADR/Dubbing Tools
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Leslie Wand

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 9:12 am

i might be a simpleton hereabouts, but what i'd really like, (and for ANY new software version), is for the wrinkles and bugs to be cleared up BEFORE moving on.

that said, i find resolve the LEAST buggy of any nle i've used.
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Dolce Videos

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 11:24 am

I just want a simple thing to be done for better usability. I mean some kind of indicator that autosave process will be started in 3, 2, 1 sec. Just a red dot blinking in the corner of the window before it comes.
Now it is always frustrating me when Resolve abruptly hangs up in the middle of the working process and later I realize that autosave starts.

Noel Sterrett

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 12:19 pm

Given past history, you could make the case that the biggest surprise would be no surprise at all.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 12:48 pm

Leslie Wand wrote:i might be a simpleton hereabouts, but what i'd really like, (and for ANY new software version), is for the wrinkles and bugs to be cleared up BEFORE moving on.

that said, i find resolve the LEAST buggy of any nle i've used.

You have not used Edius for sure :)
Currently going also into bad direction but last "old" version 5.5 was rock solid. You could run it for a eg. year without a single problem.

ShazDeJav

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 7:10 am

I hope they will release a new Resolve Advanced Panel or new add on panels for the Mini.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
Shaz De Jav e.K.
DOP & Colourist

System: Custom Build
Asus Z10PE-8D WS Motherboard
2x Intel Xeon E5-2640v4 @2.4GHz
Kingston 128GB regECC RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti

Marc Wielage

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 8:24 am

waltervolpatto wrote:I would like to see half of my suggestions in the big davinci thread done.

I'm still waiting for last year's suggestions! :cry:

Leslie Wand

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 9:04 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:You have not used Edius for sure :)
Currently going also into bad direction but last "old" version 5.5 was rock solid. You could run it for a eg. year without a single problem.

i grew up on gvg vision mixers and was probably among the first to jump on the edius bandwagon with 4. i was (iirc) very impressed with its stability, but equally disappointed with its 'clunkiness'. i trialed 5 when it came out, (but remember being less than impressed with it's fx and feature set) also, by that time vegas had me under its spell.

it's unfortunate that so many nle's (velocity, razor, liquid, pinnacle, et al) started out with the right idea but got carried away with the 'gimmicks' and wanting to be everything to everyone without first cleaning up buggy code.

it would appear that resolve isn't following down that path. (hopefully)
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Thomas Dove

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 6:11 pm

Better HDR support specifically:

1) direct render out of HDR10 HEVC in TS or MP4, with corerct / configurable metadata (MaxFALL, MaxCLL, mastering color primaries etc)

2) likewise direct render out of HLG

3) display graphs and data frame by frame for MaxFALL, MaxCLL so that you can see hot frames and hot spots

~~~~~~~

And not sure of the issue, but find/fix the problem about HDR10 deliverables as given in page 4 of thread:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=53139
Main Resolve: Linux Centos 7, Intel i7 16GB RAM, nVidia 1070Ti, Decklink Extreme 12G

Return to DaVinci Resolve