problem after hard drive crash/exchange

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Thomas Bresinsky

problem after hard drive crash/exchange

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 2:24 pm

Mac Pro Tower / Mac OSX 10.8.5
I had a hard drive crash.
It has been the drive with my DaVinci Resolve data on it. (grabbed stills)
Not a big issue. All projects had been successfully finished.
I exchanged the crashed hard drive.

Now I started a new project. And DaVinci Resolve (11.1 & 14.3) are creating problems.

1. Resolve tells me it is missing the old/crashed hard drive:
error message opening DaVinci Resolve:
"Gallery Permission
DaVinci Resolve is unable to write to selected gallery path /Volumes/daten3tb01/DaVinci Media/.gallery as it does not have write permission. Please ensure that DaVinci Resolve has write permission for the gallery path selected and the first drive you list in Preferences."

"daten3tb01" is the crashed hard drive, that had been exchanged!

2. Resolve is still listing the crashed hard drive, that had been exchanged, in its list of volumes.

3. When I grab a still Resolve gives me the following error message:
"Warning! Failed to write to database folder '/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Resolve Disk Database'. Please make sure you have correct permissions."

The folder 'Library/Application Support/ Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve' is NOT on the crashed hard drive. It is on the system volume, that had not been changed or altered in any way.

I did check permission of system volume & the 'Library/Application Support' folder:
"read & write" - ok.
I let disk utility repair "permission rights".

Still having the same problems.
What can I do? Any thoughts?
What is the best practice if you have to exchange a crashed hard drive.

Best
Thomas Bresinsky
Thomas Bresinsky
director / director of photography

www.neue-horizonte-film.de

2010 MacPro 3,46GHz 12-Core
96 GB Ram - Evo 950 PCIe SSD 512GB - Nvidia GTX 1080
MacOSX 10.11.5 - Final Cut X - DaVinci 14.3 Studio

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: problem after hard drive crash/exchange

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 9:54 pm

It sounds like you did not do a clean install of Resolve on the new hard drive.

You say in your signature that you are using OSX 10.11.5. Resolve 14 won't install on that OS. It has to be at least 10.11.6 (and that's not supported, though Resolve 14 generally runs on it).

It sounds like you may have copied the original install, or at least parts of it, over to the new drive, is why it's looking for those paths on the old drive.

Also, if you have project export drp files you are importing to a new drive, those will have the original still and cache paths, and will complain if those don't exist.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Thomas Bresinsky

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 11:53 pm

Dear Dwaine!

Thank you for answering!

I had not to install Resolve 11.1 on the new hard drive!

My Mac Pro Tower 5.1 runs 5 hard drives:
Drive 1 is my system volume. On it runs Resolve 11.1 under MacOSX 10.8.5.

Drive 3,4,5 is my stripped raid for media.

Drive 2 is the drive that crashed and was exchanged. It is for my data, exports of finished films, target drive for projects and stills grabs of Resolve. Everything with an external back up. So I had no dataloss.

„It sounds like you may have copied the original install, or at least parts of it, over to the new drive, is why it's looking for those paths on the old drive.“
As I said, I did not install Resolve 11.1 on the new hard drive.
Resolve 11.1 is up and running from System drive (drive 1).
The new drive (drive 2) is still empty.

„Also, if you have project export drp files you are importing to a new drive, those will have the original still and cache paths, and will complain if those don't exist.“
I did not export any projects. Only rendered video clips to the crashed drive 2.

How can I get rid of the paths to the crashed drive?
Under „Media“ it is still listed in the upper left window „Library“.

In „DaVinci preferences“ I did already choose the new drive 2 as „media storage“ as first volume.

Grabbing stills I get the error:
"Warning! Failed to write to database folder '/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Resolve Disk Database'. Please make sure you have correct permissions."

The path ‚/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Resolve Disk Database’ is actually correct!
How can I correct permissions?
And what permissions are missing?

Uninstalling Resolve 11.1 und reinstalling did not help!

I am working on a new project. I just did set it up yesterday after exchanging the crashed hard drive. So there are no links to old paths, grabbed still etc..

Resolve 14.3 Studio is not installed yet. I bought it recently. I am still waiting for a flashed Nvidia GTX Titan X 12GB.

Hope you can help me.

Regards Tom
Thomas Bresinsky
director / director of photography

www.neue-horizonte-film.de

2010 MacPro 3,46GHz 12-Core
96 GB Ram - Evo 950 PCIe SSD 512GB - Nvidia GTX 1080
MacOSX 10.11.5 - Final Cut X - DaVinci 14.3 Studio

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 6:07 am

Resolve 11.1 is really too old to provide support for.

In Finder, go to /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve and run CaptureLogs. Post the file it creates on a file sharing site and provide a link to the file here. I'll see if there is anything obvious in that.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Uli Plank

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 8:15 am

Hi Tom,
there is a phenomenon I've observed with Resolve on the Mac:
When drives have temporarily disappeared and are connected again, Resolve is doubling them in the media pool. In such a case you should quit Resolve and reboot the Mac, make sure that the drives are connected and then start Resolve again. Normally, the old drive connections should have disappeared by then.

I second the advice to update to the latest minor version of the OS. It's always a good idea to use the OS version that was current at the time your software version was published.

Give me a call if there are still problems, you still know my number, don't you? Otherwise, PM.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

NykFry

PostFri May 18, 2018 9:43 pm

Resolve 15b 3. Win 10. Fresh install of resolve: dreaded, historically repeating, (note posts about this from years ago) ubiquitous "path permissions" problem. It simply will not change paths in project settings (although it will in preferences) from a drive which is no longer on the system. It keeps telling me I don't have permission. Restoring the offending (removable) drive to the system makes the error go away, and yet browsing and setting the path doesn't change it (although with the drive connected it doesn't error). Removing the drive obviously reverts to the error. Such a pity, as this doesn't give me any confidence in utilizing Resolve for mission critical projects -- I was given this project to work on and welcomed the opportunity, but with a few other rickety issues I can't help but think it's still not quite there. I believe it will be good one day!

Peter Benson

PostSat May 19, 2018 12:31 am

[quote="Thomas Bresinsky"]Mac Pro Tower / Mac OSX 10.8.5
I had a hard drive crash.

Still having the same problems.
What can I do? Any thoughts?
What is the best practice if you have to exchange a crashed hard drive.

Best
Thomas Bresinsky[/quote

Thomas, not that it necessarily matters (as I am unsure if it does...) but I have some ideas.

May I assume you
• changed the name of the new, replacement drive, with the very same device name
, and also
• formatted it with the very same file system type and also
• assigned it and/or pertinent partition(s) the very same drive letter...
• and partition size...
...that your system employed for the previous, now-no-longer-available drive?[/i]]

RS 14.3.0.014 | MiniMonitor | DTV 10.9.7 | Win64 8.1 | ASUS ROG G751JL, Intel i7HQ, 24GB, 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD, GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 | Shuttle Pro 2
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Return to DaVinci Resolve