Edit filename of a clip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

andysevern

Edit filename of a clip

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 9:32 am

I'm pretty new to Davinci Resolve - and I'm KICKING MYSELF about not starting to use it soonder. Brilliant software.

I'm putting a series of stills into my production that have some animation, keyframes and other effects on them that I've painfully ('cos I'm learning) applied. What I want to do is duplicate that clip multiple times, but then change the fileame or media that each duplicated clip uses so that I don't have to rebuild the clip each time.
In Blender VSE (yeah I know), it was possible to just enter a new filename for each clip.

How can I do this in Davinci.... or if I'm doing it all wrong, what's the best way to duplicate my clip with different media.

Thanks guys... :)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Edit filename of a clip

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 4:16 am

Fundamentally the source clip name should never change.

In Resolve, we have in the Media Pool a column you can show called 'Display Name' and it shows the source clip name by default but also lets you enter any name you like. Then in the view menu select to see 'Display Name'
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

andysevern

Re: Edit filename of a clip

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 11:00 am

Not sure that's what I wanted, but then I may have either misunderstood or explained it badly. :oops:

I'm talking about duplicating a clip in the timeline that I've set up all kinds of carefully crafted transform and position keyframes in.
So, I want to duplicate that clip multiple times, but change the filename of the source material - in this case, it's a still image so that I can have the same effect but with a series of different images.

I can see that changing the filename in the source bins isn't a very good idea though.

Return to DaVinci Resolve