XML: Resolve to Premiere - Premiere Sees All Cuts as Frame 1

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

LukeCypert

XML: Resolve to Premiere - Premiere Sees All Cuts as Frame 1

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 11:00 pm

Hi there,

We frequently work with long pieces of footage that contain many different shots that have been cut together and exported as one video file. I thought it would be nice to run the footage through Resolve's Scene Cut Detection and then export an EDL/XML with the edits and then bring that into Premiere.

But when I import the XML into Premiere I see all the cuts, but each clip starts at frame 1 of the video. So the XML is translating the durations of the clips, but it's not translating what frame to start each clip on.

What I did was right click the video in the media storage panel, select scene cut detection, run the auto detection and then click add clips to media pool (I don't remember all the wording). So what should I do differently so that I can use the scene cut wizard to improve our workflow?

Marc Wielage

Re: XML: Resolve to Premiere - Premiere Sees All Cuts as Fra

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 12:55 am

LukeCypert wrote:We frequently work with long pieces of footage that contain many different shots that have been cut together and exported as one video file. I thought it would be nice to run the footage through Resolve's Scene Cut Detection and then export an EDL/XML with the edits and then bring that into Premiere.

If the timecode is contiguous and non-conflicting, then you can pull all the clips from the Scene Cut Detector screen in Resolve and put them into their own bin. Go to the Edit page, create a new timeline, and drop those cuts on the timeline, taking care to line them up so that the first frame lines up on the correct timeline frame number. Make sure the frame-rate of the session is correct. Then, highlight the timeline name in the upper right column of the Edit page and export an XML from the timeline itself. That should work, at least with the limitations of XML 1.0 support in Premiere (which I think is where they are right now).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

LukeCypert

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I've double checked everything as far as I can tell. But it's still now working.

When I look at the clip, its timecode starts at 00:00:00:00 and ends at 00:12:02:06. Scene cut detection adds the clips to the Media Pool and each clip shows the correct timeline. I create a new sequence from the clips so they all lay in in order perfectly. The Edit Index shows each clip's timecode starting on the last frame of the previous clip. So timecode is contiguous and non-conflicting right? And the framerate should be correct because I created the sequence from the media. I also set the project settings to match the media anyway...

But when I import the XML, created from right-clicking on the sequence in the Media Pool of the Edit tab, into Premiere all the clips that appear on the timeline start at timecode 00:00:00:00. All the durations are correct though.

Any further ideas?

MichRichGreene

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 2:53 am

Bump.
I am having the same issue here.
I was trying to do the same thing as the OP...use Resolve Scene Detection to make my cuts, then import an XML into Premiere with the above cuts.

But while each clip starts exactly where there are cuts...each cut starts at the very beginning of the clip.

Luke or Marc, did either of you having any more luck troubleshooting this odd issue...3 years ago?

Thanks!
-Michael

Peter Cave

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 4:07 am

I have seen this issue when using media clips that do not have a proper timecode track.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Uli Plank

PostTue Oct 12, 2021 6:39 am

In my experience clips should both have proper TC and the tape/reel field populated for roundtripping to Premiere. Is this the case?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve