Using Conform Lock - Failing with Speed Changed Footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tristan Pemberton

Using Conform Lock - Failing with Speed Changed Footage

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 1:14 am

Can't seem to find an answer to this problem anywhere - either in Resolve manual, this forum or google search.

I've been editing a a project (DR14.3) using ProRes proxies from BM4.6K cDNG files. The proxies & cDNG files have identical timecode and the proxies were created in Resolve.

Now I'm at the grading stage I've tried relinking the proxies to original cDNG RAW files. Unfortunately the re-link has failed. I've tried a deep search, and changing the source folder. Neither worked.

So I am now clip-by-clip conforming each timeline clip to the cDNG in the media bins using "Conform Lock Selected Clip To Timeline". This works for any clips without a speed change. As most of the footage was over-cranked (shot at 50fps for 25fps delivery), all the clips requiring lip-sync have been sped up 200%.

However, when I use "Conform Lock Selected Clip To Timeline" the 200% clips do not sync correctly.

What am I doing wrong?
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Tristan Pemberton

Re: Using Conform Lock - Failing with Speed Changed Footage

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 1:35 am

Ok, I've just tried something which seems to work.

1. Before using "Conform Lock" I change the clip's speed back to 100%.
2. Apply ""Conform Lock Selected Clip To Timeline" to cDNG originals.
3. The change the clip's speed back to 200%.

Pretty crazy amount of extra work - but this seems to work.

Does anyone have a better, more elegant, solution?
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Hector Berrebi

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 5:34 am

Tristan Pemberton wrote:I've been editing a a project (DR14.3) using ProRes proxies from BM4.6K cDNG files. The proxies & cDNG files have identical timecode and the proxies were created in Resolve.

Now I'm at the grading stage I've tried relinking the proxies to original cDNG RAW files. Unfortunately the re-link has failed. I've tried a deep search, and changing the source folder. Neither worked.

Hi Tristan

That first part is bit unclear to me. How exactly did the relink to originals didn't work? Seems like it should have in your case.

Can you give more detail on your conforming process?
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Tristan Pemberton

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 6:15 am

The timelines were editing using ProRes (proxy) files. These were created in Resolve after importing the cDNG originals, and exporting to proxies (individual clips) in the Deliver page.

The original cDNG files are all contained in a folder called "project name".
The proxies contained in a folder called "project name proxies".

Once the timeline was locked off I made a copy of the project, and then attempted to re-link the proxies to the original cDNG files.

Methods I tired:
1. In the Media window - right click on the bin "project name proxies" > Relink Clips for Selected Bin > Select Source Folder > selected folder "project name" > OK

Returned with the error "188 of 188 clips are not relinked. Do you with to perform a deep search?" Selected yes, but doing that fails as well.

2. In the Media window - right click on an individual clip > Relink Selected Clips > select folder the cDNG
files are in..... same result as above.

3. Right click on an individual clip > Change Source Folder > change from "project name proxies" to "project name"... same result

The only thing that works is to select a proxy clip on the timeline, then right click on the original cDNG in Media window, and select "Conform Lock Selected Clip to Timeline." But then it loses the Speed settings.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Hector Berrebi

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 7:02 am

Tristan Pemberton wrote:The timelines were editing using ProRes (proxy) files. These were created in Resolve after importing the cDNG originals, and exporting to proxies (individual clips) in the Deliver page.

Ok.. here is the source of your problem.
You shouldn't have created proxies this way (exporting), but rather using Optimized Media.

As for solutions.

There are more ways to relink in Resolve than the ones you tried
I would start by trying the Import Additional clips using loose Filename Match (ignores extensions)
You get there by right clicking your timeline then its in the Timeline sub menu.

Alternatively, you can try the Reconform from Bins command in the file menu.

you can read about both (and more) in the manual on page 580 - Summary of Methods for Conforming and Relinking

Hope this helps.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Tristan Pemberton

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 2:01 am

Hector Berrebi wrote:
Tristan Pemberton wrote:The timelines were editing using ProRes (proxy) files. These were created in Resolve after importing the cDNG originals, and exporting to proxies (individual clips) in the Deliver page.

Ok.. here is the source of your problem.
You shouldn't have created proxies this way (exporting), but rather using Optimized Media.

Thanks for your help Hector.

I'm very aware of the using optimised media, but when working remotely on laptop - trying to view RAW 4608x1920 dailies with clients - this simply is not a great solution. I would do overnight transcodes to small files (2048x858 ProRes Proxy), so that when working on the timeline there is ZERO wait time for previewing edits & rushes. I use optimised media when on my main workstation which has better resources, processing & GPU power, and large, fast drives.

Hector Berrebi wrote:As for solutions.

There are more ways to relink in Resolve than the ones you tried
I would start by trying the Import Additional clips using loose Filename Match (ignores extensions)
You get there by right clicking your timeline then its in the Timeline sub menu.

Alternatively, you can try the Reconform from Bins command in the file menu.

I tried all of your suggestions, none worked. The only thing that came close was Reconform from Disk Media. But about 25% of the clips didn't sync up properly. However, all the clips with Speed Change applied to them synced up perfectly. Random.

Hector Berrebi wrote:you can read about both (and more) in the manual on page 538 - All Methods of Conforming and Relinking

I read this whole section of the manual, and it still doesn't seem to solve my problem.

I have used this same workflow seamlessly with Premier and AFX, and it works. I guess either I've done something wrong that I don't know about, or Resolve isn't really built for this workflow. I'm guessing maybe I should have exported an XML of the timeline first, then re-imported into a new project, relinking to the cDNG rushes. Either way, I appreciate your help.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

jussi rovanpera

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 8:41 am

Do you have "Conform lock enabled" turned on in the clips? If that is on, the locked clips cannot be relinked with the conform options.

Tristan Pemberton

PostThu Mar 01, 2018 11:59 am

jussi rovanpera wrote:Do you have "Conform lock enabled" turned on in the clips? If that is on, the locked clips cannot be relinked with the conform options.

I tried with both, on and off.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Joshua Morin

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 9:11 pm

Did you find a solution for this? I am having to manually insert clips because of this bug right now and it's a bit frustrating!

Thanks in advance!
Resolve 18.6.6 Build 7
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070M, 8Gb
MacOs Monterey

bakernator

PostTue Apr 09, 2019 3:23 am

Try unlinking audio from video and then reconfirming.

Return to DaVinci Resolve