Restart Advanced Panels without restarting computer

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

danielstonehouse

Restart Advanced Panels without restarting computer

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 3:06 am

I turn off power to everything in my suite (monitors, panels, speakers etc) every evening, apart from my mac pro and storage (which I leave running for renders / remote access).

Of late this has been causing problems with the Advanced panels when I turn power back on in the morning, sometimes when I start Resolve one of the three panels remains blank. This can be cured by restarting the computer once the panels have power, but I wondered if there was a quicker way to reboot the panels.

I found today that by killing the BMDPanelDaemon task in activity monitor restarts the panels nicely. Or through the terminal you can run "sudo killall BMDPanelDaemon"

This seems to work well, even if Resolve is currently running.

With a goal of making it more user friendly, I found you can use one line of applescript "do shell script "killall BMDPanelDaemon" with administrator privileges"

I made an icon, used script editor to save the AppleScript as an app, moved it to Applications and added it my dock, and I now have a handy "restart panels" button. It still requires a password though.

Ultimately I took it a step further. With the goal of creating a zero intervention solution, I used Lingon X to create a launchd job that executes a shell script "sudo killall BMDPanelDaemon" as Root at 3am every morning (conveniently it seems the problem is still solved by restarting the BMDPanelDaemon service with power to the panels off).

Return to DaVinci Resolve