User Settings in Resolve 14

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PhilStrahl

User Settings in Resolve 14

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 5:02 pm

So we recently upgraded to Resolve 14 at our facility and now that the multi-user log-on is gone (boo!) so are all the user settings. Another peeve is not having the projects neatly divided per user, instead, now all projects are accessible by anyone. I don't need to tell you how annoying it is to work with somebody else's panel sensitivity settings. Worse even: Individual PowerGrades bins are no more.

My question is: (How) is it possible to have some way of storing preferences and PowerGrades per user in a Resolve 14.2 PostgreSQL database?

I am probably not the only one bemoaning this change towards a single-user experience, maybe I am missing how this makes things better with the new collaboration feature, but the fact is: This is a step back for us in organizing users and projects.

EDIT: My current workaround for this is to export all my PowerGrades as stills to the company server, and re-import them on every machine I happen to work on. As for the user settings, there's an option to Export and Import them, but it would be much nicer having, say, a drop-down menu in the project browser to select a user configuration to work with.
Last edited by PhilStrahl on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan Morgan

Re: User Settings in Resolve 14

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 5:43 pm

If you have a multi-user database from 12 or before you can still use it in 14 and it keeps it's multiuser functionality.

I mirror your feelings and am curious why DaVinci made the change, but hopefully, that might provide a bit of a workaround for you in the meantime.
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

PhilStrahl

Re: User Settings in Resolve 14

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 5:55 pm

Nathan Morgan wrote:If you have a multi-user database from 12 or before you can still use it in 14 and it keeps its multiuser functionality.

I mirror your feelings and am curious why DaVinci made the change, but hopefully, that might provide a bit of a workaround for you in the meantime.

Thanks, Morgan. Sadly, in our case, we had a local disk database and all the import/export hassles this involved. Blinded by the promises of collaboration within a project, we upgraded to a proper project server with 14 because, surely, it must be multi-user then, right? ;)

Return to DaVinci Resolve