Resolve Timeline preview running slowly and lagging

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

delmarman888

Resolve Timeline preview running slowly and lagging

PostThu Mar 08, 2018 8:16 pm

Hey all,

I've been editing with Resolve for about a year now and I've never encountered a problem like this, but I am now as I'm working on a new project.

I'm using version 12.5.0.052 of DaVinci Resolve. I recently started a new project, but for whatever reason, when I watch what I've edited so far in the video previewer above the timeline, it runs slowly and lags. It's inconsistent in doing this - sometimes it'll go at normal speed and sometimes it'll slow to 70-80% of its original speed (I mean the video preview, to be clear. I've rendered the video as a test and it runs just fine, at completely normal speed. Just want to avoid any possible confusion.)

It's difficult to edit this way because both the audio that I'm using and the video itself runs at a slower rate than it should, and it's really distracting and difficult to work with, as precise timing is vital to this project. I've never encountered a problem like this, and it's really demotivating. I've noticed that when I have multiple clips in the video section it tends to run slower, but I've had timelines such as this numerous times in the past and it never ran this slow. I opened up older projects and viewed them in the timeline and they all showed the video perfectly, no video or audio slowdown to be found.

Is it a memory issue? I recently uninstalled quite a few programs and games that I didn't use/play in order to free up more space so that Resolve would run better. This effort was unfortunately completely pointless, as it's still running slowly.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there anything I can do? I'd really love to be able to preview my project at full speed again, and I know it would speed up my editing process.

Thanks for reading!

Return to DaVinci Resolve