Rendering individual clips with correct audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

effectsdroid

Rendering individual clips with correct audio

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 2:37 am

So, I put some clips on a timeline, do a quick grade, add final audio, delete scratch track audio, export as individual clips, then get clips with scratch audio. No final audio anywhere. Huh?

Thinking maybe it’s a bug, so I’ll update the version I have. Well, that didn’t fix it. Multiple versions later…

Search for answer to problem online. Find something on Youtube about exporting clips as one clip with “Main 1 (Stereo)” selected instead of “Timeline Track”. Great! Works if I select only one clip at a time and render it out. One at a time. 1 clip down, 20 to go. One at a time. “Clear my schedule, I’m going to be here a while…”

So, why have the “Render Individual Clips” button if you only get part of your individual clip? Or, scratch audio that no longer exists on the timeline but now, somehow, it reappears on the rendered clip?

Wow, what a waste of time. You know would be neat? Being able to batch render “individual clips” like one of the options says on the export menu, AND get the correct audio. I know, right? What concept.

I really want Resolve to be my “go to” application for editing, grading, audio and finishing. I REALLY do. But, in the end, I just end up grading in Resolve and finishing in Adobe Premiere. You don’t know how much that pains me.

So, is it me? Something I’m missing? Is it a bug that’s eluded the engineers at BMD? What gives?

Again, why have that feature if you can’t export the correct audio? It’s all there on the timeline, just like when I had to select and render as one clip.

So I send this out to you, the Resolve Community, and plead for direction, enlightenment, words of wisdom in my time of need.

Thanks for letting me vent…

Byron Dickens

Re: Rendering individual clips with correct audio

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 5:20 pm

Ya know...

If you make a post that says "I'm trying to do [blank] and having trouble," you might get better responses than when you come on here and rant about how this crappy software can't do something simple.

With that said, I did not have any trouble at all doing just that. After putting my video and audio together and chopping it up into individual songs, I added each one into the render queue and away I went.

Are you doing something different?
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 12:31 am

When you render using Individual Clip mode, you get source file audio and/or audio that has been synced to the source video files in the Media Pool. You don't get timeline audio.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

effectsdroid

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:When you render using Individual Clip mode, you get source file audio and/or audio that has been synced to the source video files in the Media Pool. You don't get timeline audio.

Thanks, Dwaine. It would be nice to be able to render out individual clips with additional audio from timeline, though. I'll look into syncing in Media Pool. Your reply was helpful.

Zak_Fenning

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 4:22 pm

I have had the same problem and found it very time consuming working out what exactly the problem is, and then having to manually solve it for a large group of clips. Being able to use timeline audio/select tracks would be a very welcome option.

infocus_jc

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 2:26 pm

Zak_Fenning wrote:I have had the same problem and found it very time consuming working out what exactly the problem is, and then having to manually solve it for a large group of clips. Being able to use timeline audio/select tracks would be a very welcome option.

+1

Why can't we render with timeline audio ?

Markus Kreuzwirth

PostWed Feb 05, 2020 12:12 am

+1

since auto-syncing is so easy, rendering dailies on set could be too.
But if i can't get the sound technician to give a mixdown (for example: mix of boom and actors) as an addtl track in his files I have to use ffmpeg to clean up afterwards.
The possibility to just create a mixdown of two audio tracks for rendering individual clips would make my life so much easier.

Harri Järvinen

PostSat Dec 25, 2021 6:44 pm

+1
RTX 4080, Ryzen 7th Gen, 64 RAM
  • Resolve 18.6 /w Decklink 8k Pro
  • Nvidia Studio Driver
  • Win10

Veluuria

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 9:07 pm

+1

synched (separately recorded) audio in media pool, edited and quick grade for review of individual clips - only to find that timeline audio is ignored. I'm not clear on how the deliver function can behave so differently for individual clips - plus there's no UI indication saying that the timeline audio is being ignored - leaving a mystery to be solved and countless hours wasted. So many workarounds, even python scripts - and this has been around for years. DVR is amazing, but please, this seems to be an easy fix...

luigichelli

PostWed May 10, 2023 9:57 pm

+1 i'd like an option to choose timeline audio

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 12, 2023 4:54 pm

You do have that option now. On the Deliver page, in the Video tab, select the "Render timeline effects" checkbox, and you'll get the timeline audio.

Added in Resolve 18.0.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

jan_berlin

PostMon May 15, 2023 8:52 am

Nice feature! One question: which timecode will the new files have? Rec (timeline) TC or the original Source TC?

Thanks!

Edit: Did a test, it's the RecTC. Nice move!

rchill801

PostTue Nov 14, 2023 2:16 am

Is it possible to export the individual clips with timeline audio and have it export with Original Source TC.

Jim Simon

PostTue Nov 14, 2023 4:07 pm

I don't believe so, Ronald.

You can choose timeline audio or clip timecode, but not both. :(
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve