SOLVED: Fundamental DR 14 bug report

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

David Cherniack

Re: Fundamental DR 14 bug report

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 1:37 pm

I'm on 14.1.0.014. How does one get 14.1.0.018?
Just download 14.3 from the support page?
David
Resolve Studio latest build
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 Water Cooler
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
64GB 3333 Corsair Dominator ram
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card
Areca Thunderbolt3 12 drive Raid

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 1:40 pm

I understand, did not realize you downgrade to 14.1.

Yes the optimization changed substantially between 14.1 and 14.3 and if those option are not ticked in the way I'm describing even some of the most powerful linux can be brought to a crawl.

When yoy have the chance, try and let us know.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

David Cherniack

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 1:52 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:I understand, did not realize you downgrade to 14.1.

Yes the optimization changed substantially between 14.1 and 14.3 and if those option are not ticked in the way I'm describing even some of the most powerful linux can be brought to a crawl.

When yoy have the chance, try and let us know.

Walter, I tried them and they did make a huge difference. My one core is no longer pinned at 100% with the Decklink active. And playback iperformance n the Color page matches the Edit page.

So thanks.

My question about 14.1.0.018 remains. Is that buildnot publicly accessible to Studio users?
David
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card

waltervolpatto

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 2:01 pm

You should be able to scroll down and access that build, but bm could have pulled from the website.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

David Cherniack

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 2:08 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:You should be able to scroll down and access that build, but bm could have pulled from the website.

Gee...I'm still not yet awake. I'm on 14.3.0.014, not 14.1.0.014.

BTW playback is still slightly better in the EDIT page AND in the EDIT page one core still pins at 100% playing back BM 4.6k 24p 3:1 with the Decklink card activated - but AFAIK that's never affected performance on this system.
David
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card

Piotr Wozniacki

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 3:40 pm

Unfortunately, even with the 14.1, I'm not quite there yet - with some 46 fps, it's much better than the 14.3\s miserable 23 fps. But something must already have been changed under the hood, as with the 12.5.6 I'm getting full, solid 50 fps in the same project (this is after caching in DNxHR 444 HDR)...

Piotr

PS. Walter, in this situation (the 14.1 still not fast enough), I un-installed it and installed the 14.3 again. However, none of the tweaks under User/Performance doesn't change a thing (OK - perhaps some 1-2 fps more or less, but not more). Also, setting output scaling to match the timeline or to 3840x2160 doesn't inflence playback speed, either. What's more I cannot run the 12.5.6 now - it wants me to log in (which I never did, being the only user of this system), after setting up a new user and password, I can log in but only to see empty database. How I managed to revert from 14.3 to 12.5.6 and still have all my projects, all of which played at full speed - have no idea now. I'm afraid that after all this installation and un-installation, my system disk is one big mess now :(

BMD - please advise what we should be doing?

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Martin Schitter

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 10:47 pm

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:For me, it's indispensable to have the Color page capable of full project's fps with scopes being displayed (for obvious reasons), and 4:2:2 monitoring via Decklink (as 4:4:4 causes false banding in UHD@50p projects due to my Samsung monitor switching to 8-bit mode when receiving a 4:4:4 signal).

did you really enforce a 4:2:2 color subsampling manually or is it explicitly reported somewhere?

because most sources claim, that HDMI 2.0 only provides 4:2:0 at 50fps 10bit.

this is also reported on the HDMI consortium webpage:
https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_ ... q.aspx#146

the standard itself isn't publicly available, so i can not verify this point.

but the manual of the samsung ks8000 monitor series mentions indeed a 50fps/4:2:2/10bit mode:

and this is not the only source, which documents the real world existence of this possibility.

but if you have chosen this kind of color subsampling manually, you really should try the much more common and compatible 4:2:0 mode as well, and watch out, if you can reproduce the issues even in this case.

christopherreig

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 1:39 am

Hello Piotr, and others!

I just wanted to chime in to say that I can confirm Piotr's claims re: poor playback of material with scopes active. We are presently experiencing this bug on 14.3 on a brand-new setup:

HP Z8 G4 (2x12-core Xeon)
64GB RAM, ACCUSYS Storage Array (1200MB/s)
4x NVIDIA 1080 TI in a Cubix for processing.
Windows 10 Professional, latest updates.

On a 4K DCI 'Scope' timeline (with 24.00p ARRI anamorphic material as source), the system crawls at 23 FPS with scopes enabled - and this is with no images operations, grades, nodes, LUT's - nothing. Turn the scopes off, and the performance returns to 24+ fps, even with multiple heavy nodes applied.

Have actually sent these logs to Blackmagic Design for investigation.

Cheers,
Christopher

Piotr Wozniacki

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 7:05 am

Hi Martin,

Much more important than getting 4:2:2 rather than 4:2:0 is keeping 10 bit all the way though the monitoring pipeline; as you can see from the table you posted 10 bit is not possible with 4:4:4 monitoring - hence my struggle to never use it. Unfortunately - for reasons beyond my comprehension - the 4:4:4 SDI setting is one of the only 2 ways of getting full, solid 50 fps at playback (the other being turning scopes off completely). When I engage it, however - I'm clearly seeing banding where it doesn't exist in my source material!

As to the 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0: this is much less important for proper monitoring while grading, but I dare say what I'm seeing on my Samsung when fed from the HDMI mezzanine of my Decklink indeed is 4:2:2 (unless of course I don't change it to 4:4:4 for the above mentioned reason). How do I know that? Well - back in the times when Convergent Design nanoFlash was the very popular solution to record in 4:2:2 rather than 4:2:0 (like internally in the EX1/4 cameras); I learnt to distinguish the 4:2:2 picture from its 4:2:0 version (having both the internally and externally recorded clips from my EX1 and nanoFlash, I could do an A/B comparison and learnt where to look to see the difference). Currently, I have an even better method of telling whether my preview is 4:2:2 or not: as I grade for HDR10, my deliverable format of choice is HEVC (h.265 files with 10 bit and 4:2:0 chroma resolution). Comparing such clips on the same Samsung 49KS8000 TV I use for grading preview, I can clearly see the higher color resolution in Resolve than in my 420 HEVC files; this is a proof my Deckink can indeed send, and my SUHD - display the 10bit, 4:2:2 video when grading in Resolve.

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Piotr Wozniacki

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 7:45 am

One more proof it's not my system not being up to the task, but DR 14.3 seriously broken in its Color page, is that my FS7 XAVC-I UHD@50p clips can be played back full speed using the free Sony's Catalyst Browse program which can also use Decklink for 10bit preview. Not a single frame is dropped (there is an option to stop playback on a single frame drop-out). And it can be more than just 1:1 playback - Browse allows for some color correction, specifically adding S-log/S-Gamut to 2020/2084 3DLUT and has all the color controls as well as all the scopes - unlike DR 14.3 Color page, with the LUT added and scopes displayed on the PC system monitor (the Browse's UI) -I'm getting full speed, 50 fps preview of my (normalized and color-corrected) XAVC-I, S-log2(3) files on my Samsung using Decklink's HDMI!

Piotr

PS. While we're at Sony's (currently Magix) NLE, Vegas Pro suffers from identical problems with getting full fps playback (using Decklink or nVidia Secondary Monitor) as DR 14.3 has now. Several years ago this has been the main reason for abandoning Vegas Pro and adopting Resolve (also for editing), as it was fully capable to use CUDA GPU to accelerate playback up to real-time fps speeds...

Martin Schitter

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 10:30 am

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:Much more important than getting 4:2:2 rather than 4:2:0 is keeping 10 bit all the way though the monitoring pipeline; as you can see from the table you posted 10 bit is not possible with 4:4:4 monitoring - hence my struggle to never use it.

yes -- i really understand this point. i was just considering, if your actual troubles could be more related to communication problems between your decklink card and the tv set, than just some other kind of performance regression in resolve. even the fact, that it only appears in recent releases of resolve isn't a strict indicator for the 2nd case, because this kind of indirect response to some underlaying problem could be also become more visible, if more efficient methods of asynchronous output were chosen in this more recent releases etc. ...

again: 50fps/10bit/4:2:2 over HDM 2.0a is usually seen as an non-specified transport mode!

it's one of the reasons, why display port connections are usually seen as the better choice, if you need this kind of pixel format and framerate on computer/consumer screens. but in the case of a tv set and unavoidable need of hdmi connectivity, you simple have to find some kind of smallest common denominator, which flawless works in practice.

one technical solution would be utilizing 12bit mode -- even if the two additional LSBs would't be never used in this case --, because for 12bit connections 4:2:2 is again officially available resp. provided by hdmi standard again. but this possible workaround unfortunately doesn't seem to be supported by your tv set.

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:Unfortunately - for reasons beyond my comprehension - the 4:4:4 SDI setting is one of the only 2 ways of getting full, solid 50 fps at playback (the other being turning scopes off completely). When I engage it, however - I'm clearly seeing banding where it doesn't exist in my source material!

in this case, some kind of 8bit transport seems to be going on in reality resp. become negotiated between your decklink card and the tv set. that's more or less independent of the actual source and even the pixal format, which is used to feed the decklink card. it's just another reminder, which highlights the fact, that you can not control all this transport related settings and issues from a higher level of software access.

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:As to the 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0: this is much less important for proper monitoring while grading, but I dare say what I'm seeing on my Samsung when fed from the HDMI mezzanine of my Decklink indeed is 4:2:2 (unless of course I don't change it to 4:4:4 for the above mentioned reason). How do I know that? Well - back in the times when Convergent Design nanoFlash was the very popular solution to record in 4:2:2 rather than 4:2:0 (like internally in the EX1/4 cameras); I learnt to distinguish the 4:2:2 picture from its 4:2:0 version (having both the internally and externally recorded clips from my EX1 and nanoFlash, I could do an A/B comparison and learnt where to look to see the difference).

i would guess, that you'll hardly notice the difference of of both subsampling modes on a tv screen in practice. more significant differences are in most cases rather related to inadequate implementations of the actual subsampling implementation than a principal consequence or necessary limitation of this more compressed transport.

it's much more important, that you find a realistic solution, which actually works on your given setup!

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:Currently, I have an even better method of telling whether my preview is 4:2:2 or not: as I grade for HDR10, my deliverable format of choice is HEVC (h.265 files with 10 bit and 4:2:0 chroma resolution). Comparing such clips on the same Samsung 49KS8000 TV I use for grading preview, I can clearly see the higher color resolution in Resolve than in my 420 HEVC files; this is a proof my Deckink can indeed send, and my SUHD - display the 10bit, 4:2:2 video when grading in Resolve.

again, this looks highly unplausible to me, because you can't regain the lost color information [without rescaling] in video footage by any way. if the source footage contains only 4:2:0 information resp. just a quarter of the full color attribution, it will never look better in 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 envrionments of the same spatial resolution. that's a principal technical fact, which can not be overcome. but what you may see perhaps, are subtile differences, which are more related to the actual handling of color subsampling and pixel format transformations in different software and hardware devices. it's a really challenging topic, and there are lots of quite insufficient implementations out there in the real world. it simply doesn't look everywhere just the same!

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:One more proof it's not my system not being up to the task, but DR 14.3 seriously broken in its Color page, is that my FS7 XAVC-I UHD@50p clips can be played back full speed using Sony's Browse program which can also use Decklink for 10bit preview. Not a single frame is dropped (there is an option to stop playback on a single frame drop-out).
PS. While we're at Sony's (currently Magix) NLE, Vegas Pro suffers from identical problems with getting full fps playback (using Decklink or nVidia Secondary Monitor) as DR 14.3 has now.

these are very interesting new findings!

they look very close to another test, which i would have suggested otherwise:
utilizing ffmpegs/ffplays decklink output capabilities trying to reproduce a similar issue as in resolve.
in this case you could specify by a very simple explicit -pix_fmt argument on the command line to determine, how the data is actually feed to the decklink card resp. which kind of transport mode should be used.

this is not a perfect proof, that the decklink card or its driver doesn't do any further pixel format changes, when it finds out in the negotiation stage of the connection, that a connected devices doesn't like some kind of given input, but it could be seen at least as a strategy to isolate/reproduce/model the actual issues with more simple means.

i'm not very surprised, that especially the sony variant doesn't show this issues. in this case, i'm quite sure, that a proper 4:2:0 enforcement will be used. this doesn't have to be the case in the other more versatile applications.

i really like the exemplary way, how you are used to fight all this practical troubles in a very reasonable and technical proficient manner. you are handling it so well, that i can not do more, than just watching your efforts and sometimes throw in a little bit of food for thought.

if it's caused -- like i guess right now -- more by a decklink related problem resp. it's interplay with the tv set, this could be nevertheless be seen as some kind of "fundamental resolve bug", although less depended to the high level software itself. i'm sure, experienced blackmagic engineers are able to verify or reject this possible explanation without any difficulty.

i just think, they never stumbled over this issue in advance, because you are using a setup resp. communication requirements, which are still quite rare to find in practice elsewhere. but a reproducible bug is a bug and should be solved properly anyway.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 10:43 am

Thanks Martin for your excellent input.

Although you are right the the real pixel format being fed and displayed by my Decklink/TV is - to some extent - a mystery, you seem to be forgetting that while the 4:4:4 connection sending just 8-bit signal is one way of re-gaining the full fps, there also is another one: turning scopes off. I can do either of the two (not necessarily both) - and puff!!! I'm getting the solid "green dot" 50 fps preview! Even with DCI 4K @50p timeline (monitored as UHD@50p, of course)...

Just like I used to all the time since I started using this system, and untill release 14.1 of Resolve...

Black magic it is!

Piotr

PS. Also, this is NOT a matter of my "exotic" setup with UHD TV as a HDR preview device; I have my Atomos Shogun Inferno hooked up to the SDI 12G output of my Decklink - and speed-wise, it suffers from exactly the same problems (but of the two "remedies" working with my HDMI connection, only turning scopes off works with SDI as with 4:4:4, my Shogun goes blank).

David Cherniack

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 4:00 pm

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:T

PS. Also, this is NOT a matter of my "exotic" setup with UHD TV as a HDR preview device; I have my Atomos Shogun Inferno hooked up to the SDI 12G output of my Decklink - a).

Piotr, one temporary way around the problem is to us the Shogun Inferno's scopes. They're just as accurate, if not moreso than the Resolve scopes. I do this and I also use the Inferno as a LUT box to calibrate my display. That way I don't have the issues of using the monitor LUT in Resolve which works in the Color page but not in the Edit page.
David
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card

Piotr Wozniacki

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 5:44 am

Martin Schitter wrote:again, this looks highly unplausible to me, because you can't regain the lost color information [without rescaling] in video footage by any way. if the source footage contains only 4:2:0 information resp. just a quarter of the full color attribution, it will never look better in 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 envrionments of the same spatial resolution. that's a principal technical fact, which can not be overcome. but what you may see perhaps, are subtile differences, which are more related to the actual handling of color subsampling and pixel format transformations in different software and hardware devices. it's a really challenging topic, and there are lots of quite insufficient implementations out there in the real world. it simply doesn't look everywhere just the same!

I don't agree with this reasoning at all - even if my preview indeed is only 420, my output (export) will still be 422 like the source material. Encoding this to 420 HEVC, I can see the lower color resolution which is a proof my preview during grading must have shown full 422 resolution.

Pior
Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 5:49 am

David Cherniack wrote:Piotr, one temporary way around the problem is to us the Shogun Inferno's scopes. They're just as accurate, if not moreso than the Resolve scopes. I do this and I also use the Inferno as a LUT box to calibrate my display. That way I don't have the issues of using the monitor LUT in Resolve which works in the Color page but not in the Edit page.

Great idea - I can turn Resolve scopes off, which will give me full fps speed - and having both the Samsung (HDMI) and Inferno (SDI) connected, use Inferno's scopes! The only caveat is that when I enlarge the Inferno scopes, it will completely obscure the picture which is important to me, as the brightest parts of my HDR grades look much better on the 1,500 nits Inferno than on the 1,000 nits Samsung. Thanks!

Piotr

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 10:20 am

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:
Martin Schitter wrote:again, this looks highly unplausible to me, because you can't regain the lost color information [without rescaling] in video footage by any way. if the source footage contains only 4:2:0 information resp. just a quarter of the full color attribution, it will never look better in 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 envrionments of the same spatial resolution. that's a principal technical fact, which can not be overcome. but what you may see perhaps, are subtile differences, which are more related to the actual handling of color subsampling and pixel format transformations in different software and hardware devices. it's a really challenging topic, and there are lots of quite insufficient implementations out there in the real world. it simply doesn't look everywhere just the same!

I don't agree with this reasoning at all - even if my preview indeed is only 420,, my output (export) will still be 422 as in the source material. Encoding this to 420 HEVC, I can see the lower color resolution which is a prof my preview during grading must have show full 422 resolution.

Pior

It's not 4:2:0 which makes you think your h265 encode looks "worse", but actual compression compared to your Resolve preview. 4:2:0 v 4:2:2 on progressive footage is not a easy thing to see. It can be visible, but only on specially chosen test material.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 10:25 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:It's not 4:2:0 which makes you think your h265 encode looks "worse", but actual compression compared to your Resolve preview. 4:2:0 v 4:2:2 on progressive footage is not a easy thing to see. It can be visible, but only on specially chosen test material.

Compression too (BTW, it makes any NR in Resolve redundant if the only planned export is for 100 Mbps HEVC encoding, haha). But I do know which "chosen material" you mean, and can really tell 422 from 420..Especially on a really big display like mine, and looking from less than 1 m distance.

Piotr

Piotr Wozniacki

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 10:41 am

christopherreig wrote:Hello Piotr, and others!

I just wanted to chime in to say that I can confirm Piotr's claims re: poor playback of material with scopes active. We are presently experiencing this bug on 14.3 on a brand-new setup:

HP Z8 G4 (2x12-core Xeon)
64GB RAM, ACCUSYS Storage Array (1200MB/s)
4x NVIDIA 1080 TI in a Cubix for processing.
Windows 10 Professional, latest updates.

On a 4K DCI 'Scope' timeline (with 24.00p ARRI anamorphic material as source), the system crawls at 23 FPS with scopes enabled - and this is with no images operations, grades, nodes, LUT's - nothing. Turn the scopes off, and the performance returns to 24+ fps, even with multiple heavy nodes applied.

Have actually sent these logs to Blackmagic Design for investigation.

Cheers,
Christopher

Thanks, Christopher! How about UHD@50p, if you do any? If you don't could just find an UHD@50p clip and test this behavior for me? Like you, I have also submitted a support ticket to BMD, but they say they cannot repro this behavior :(

Piotr

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 7:22 am

With no help from BMD (answering my Support request, they said they couldn't repro the 50% slow-down with playback in the Color page when scopes are open) - I'm lost and exhausted from testing; I also feel very disappointed especially considering the claims how the Release 14 has been optimized for playing back H.264 source files.

In this situation - even though I'm still 100% positive this is some bug or a matter of some special combination of settings (I tried Walter's suggestions, but to no avail) - I'm starting to think of applying a brutal force method in order to be able to comfortably grade my source media (mainly the simple, UHD XAVC-I from Sony FS7) in the Color page again - like I used to (with the same system!!!) in Release 12.5.6.... The only question is this:

- should I upgrade my current 8-core CPU, or
- should I add another GPU (currently the Titan Xp)?

I wouldn't like to spend tons of money only to end up with the same behavior, so I need advise which to upgrade first... When I play-back my UHD@50p, single track project in the Color page now, and - due to scopes being open - have it crawling at the miserable 23 fps with awful stuttering of video, and audio so distorted it's of no use, both my CPU and GPU are only taxed some 20-30% (after closing the scopes which gives me full 50 fps, the CPU load goes all the way up to 98%, and the GPU load is some 40%). Basing on those numbers, I reckon I should start with the CPU - but in order to use say the 16-core i9, obviously I also need to replace my motherboard in order to accept it - and this would cost me twice the price of a second Titan Xp... On the other hand, when - after applying some moderately heavy grading I need to cache a node or clip - I realize GPU power will be more important for the speed of rendering...

Tough choice, so please share your suggestions guys!

Piotr

PS. Of course I'm taking into account BMD might be fully aware of the problem, and it will be silently fixed in the next Release - so in any case, I'll wait for it to arrive before spending the money to beef up my system. After all - for 1.5 years I worked comfortably with it, so theoretically, I shouldn't even need to do it at all...

Martin Schitter

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 8:34 am

i think, you you are fighting two different issues:
  1. a decklink related problem concerning 50fps/10bit output via HDMI to your TV set
  2. massive performance decreases in case of utilizing the internal scopes

sure -- the two issues are interwoven, and it's a really interesting observation, that this second issue increases to such an unacceptable extend, when the first one is also present. but this seems to be more a side effect of some bad application design, which usually doesn't have much impact in more common situations.

the first issue looks much more important and causally responsible. this one should be really fixed! -- but it looks more like a [fundamental] decklink related bug to me, than concerning an issue of resolve in the strict sense.
maybe you should also look for an answer to this particular deficiency at the decklink driver board ("postproduction" or "software development") of this forum, because the BMD specialist there are often more competent and willing to answer real technical questions, than here in this more or less end user oriented section.

i consciously didn't write much about this second issue. it looks more like a kind of epiphenomenon or merely indirect consequence of the first one to me. but the computing expense of waveforms and histograms are in general often underestimated by users. it's a much more challenging task, than most of the simple color operations handled by resolve, because histograms are much harder to calculate in parallel in an efficient manner on the GPU. and as we all know, resolve looks already quite wasteful and resource hungry in case of much simpler tasks compared to similar software solutions. it's therefore no big surprise, that also this feature doesn't work very satisfaying, when adverse circumstances appear.

as a temporary workaround for this scope related performance issues, you could perhaps try to utilize some kind of third party scope application in the meanwhile...

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 9:01 am

Dear Martin,

As I wrote several times already:

this is NOT a matter of my "exotic" setup with HDMI UHD TV as a HDR preview device; I have my Atomos Shogun Inferno hooked up to the SDI 12G output of my Decklink - and speed-wise, it suffers from exactly the same problems (but of the two "remedies" working with my HDMI connection, only turning scopes off works with SDI as with 4:4:4, my Shogun goes blank).

So sorry, but it's not the culprit. Besides, as I also stress in most of my posts here, it used to work fine in previous Resolve releases, up to the 14.1 (and certainly still in the 12.5.6, as I wasn't able to test the 14.1 thoroughly enough; while in the 12.5.6 I was getting full 50 fps with ease - in the 14.1 the same project seems to already struggle at some 46 fps which suggests some H.264 playback "optimization" has already begun there but wasn't deep enough to slow down my playback by full 50% like it does in the 14.3).

Thanks for your trying to help,

Piotr

Martin Schitter

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 9:41 am

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:So sorry, but it's not the culprit. Besides, as I also stress in most of my posts here, it used to work fine in previous Resolve releases, up to the 14.1 (and certainly still in the 12.5.6, as I wasn't able to test the 14.1 thoroughly enough; while in the 12.5.6 I was getting full 50 fps with ease - in the 14.1 the same project seems to already struggle at some 46 fps which suggests some H.264 playback "optimization" has already begun there but wasn't deep enough to slow down my playback by full 50% like it does in the 14.3).

if you really think, the issues are not caused by the output chain, but more related to some kind of h.264 optimizations, you should simply use one of the test-pattern generators of resolve, pack into a compound clip and put it on an otherwise clean timeline. in this case, no h.264 related processing is involved at all -- you are just testing the output/monitoring capabilities free of any input related dependencies. if you don't see the same issues in this case, your approach should indeed be seen as verified and more plausible.
Last edited by Martin Schitter on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 9:42 am

One more observation:

To me it looks almost the same as the result of applying a "HDR xxxx nits to Gamma 2.4" to 3D Scopes Lookup Table in the project settings (Color tab), which according to the manual, is supposed to increase legibility of the most important area of the scopes (especially WFM or Parade), in HDR projects. Even back in the times of the 12.5, when I had zero problems with playback speed in the Color page even with Scopes open - applying this 3DLUT would make the fps crawl - exactly at speeds I'm seeing now in the 14.3, even without the 3D Scopes Lookup Table applied. I could never comprehend why the overhead to the system would be that great from applying a 3D LUT to the scopes - but since it didn't really increase my scopes legibility much (if at all), I simply never used it...

Perhaps this observation will enable BMD to pin-point the problem?

Piotr
Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 9:51 am

Martin Schitter wrote:
Piotr Wozniacki wrote:So sorry, but it's not the culprit. Besides, as I also stress in most of my posts here, it used to work fine in previous Resolve releases, up to the 14.1 (and certainly still in the 12.5.6, as I wasn't able to test the 14.1 thoroughly enough; while in the 12.5.6 I was getting full 50 fps with ease - in the 14.1 the same project seems to already struggle at some 46 fps which suggests some H.264 playback "optimization" has already begun there but wasn't deep enough to slow down my playback by full 50% like it does in the 14.3).

if you really think, the issues are not caused by the output chain, but more related to some kind of h.264 optimizations, you should simply use one of the test-pattern generators of resolve, pack into a compound clip and put it on an otherwise clean timeline. in this case, no h.264 related processing is involved at all -- you are just testing the output/monitoring capabilities free of any input related dependencies. if you don't see the same issues in this case, your approach should indeed be seen as verified and more plausible.

Good idea, Martin - just did a quick test and unfortunately, the behavior is still there (24-26 fps with scopes on, full 50 fps with scopes off). BTW I never said I'm sure it's the H.264 optimization's fault - good people like Walter suggested it to me that the playback speed optimization in general (he never mentioned H.264 explicitly) started after the 14.1 release; hence my suspicions... But actually, I'm now completely lost!

Thanks,

Piotr

Piotr Wozniacki

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 6:52 am

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:One more observation:

To me it looks almost the same as the result of applying a "HDR xxxx nits to Gamma 2.4" to 3D Scopes Lookup Table in the project settings (Color tab), which according to the manual, is supposed to increase legibility of the most important area of the scopes (especially WFM or Parade), in HDR projects. Even back in the times of the 12.5, when I had zero problems with playback speed in the Color page even with Scopes open - applying this 3DLUT would make the fps crawl - exactly at speeds I'm seeing now in the 14.3, even without the 3D Scopes Lookup Table applied. I could never comprehend why the overhead to the system would be that great from applying a 3D LUT to the scopes - but since it didn't really increase my scopes legibility much (if at all), I simply never used it...

Perhaps this observation will enable BMD to pin-point the problem?

Piotr

EDIT: Another - hopefully useful for BMD in pin-pointing the real source of the bug - observation. I was doing some tracking last night, involving a power window in the viewer; usually when one is displayed, the performance is affected (fps lower than without it). So imagine my surprise when seeing the solid green dot 25 fps during playback of the timeline - and that with scopes on, and no 4:4:4 SDI configuration! I opened one of my UHD@50p projects to check whether this will help there as well - and yes it does!. Although I still couldn't play it with full 50 fps speed, it went up from the miserable 24 I now see on average when scopes are open to some 36-40 fps.

So, the bottom line is this: strangely, a power window displayed in the preview screen which always used to slow down playback - in DR 14.3 makes it actually quite substantially faster. Go figure!

Piotr

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 7:48 am

If you set your video monitoring to 8-bit does it solve the speed issue?
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Piotr Wozniacki

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 7:54 am

Yes Rohit - it definitely does in 100% (full 25 or 50 fps, depending on the media/timeline speed). So does monitoring in HD instead of UHD.... But I'd like to remind you it wasn't necessary in Resolve 12.5; also my fps slow-down issue affects not only the UHD TV connected via HDMI mezzanine of my Decklink - but also my Shogun Inferno, "properly" using the 12G SDI port (even with HDMI physically disconnected ).

Piotr

Piotr Wozniacki

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 7:13 am

I'm pleased to report that with the Beta 15 Release, all my problems described in this thread have been solved. Congrats, BMD - and thank you for your work!

Cheers

Piotr

waltervolpatto

Re: SOLVED: Fundamental DR 14 bug report

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 5:38 am

:D

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSun May 27, 2018 6:07 am

Unfortunately, starting with the 15 Beta 3, I'm observing the very same slow-down Release 14 suffered from.

As I described throughout this thread, the issue started in the 14.2, with only the cached content not being able to playback with full fps when Scopes were open in the Color page; in Release 14.3 it deteriorated further - and even un-cached clips with zero color nodes never exceeded 20 fps.

I'm writing this in hope the Developers at BMD (and we - the end users) might benefit from my observations by BMD preventing the final Release 15 from suffering from the very same internal conflict which - in the Release 14.3 - prevented full fps playback in the Color page when Scopes were active. Unfortunately, with each new Beta 15, I can see the same phenomenon coming back with more and more power! With the Release 15 Beta 3, my cached DNxHR HDR files are no more played back full speed again - even if the clip has not been modified at all, and I forced Resolve to cache it for testing purposes only! So this is exactly how it started with Release 14, as well.

As you know, the first 15 Beta fixed all those problems, so - being very happy - I had even put "SOLVED" in front of this thread title....

Please see to it BMD, so that the next Release (be it another Beta or official) isn't suffering from the issue again; Thank you and Best Regards

Piotr

Pacific

PostMon May 28, 2018 5:27 am

I cannot play back anything on my macbook pro retina with 16gb.

It is so choppy and it stays that way, even though I have turned on all the caching.

I tried, for the fun of it, to set the use proxies setting to a quarter resolution, and it didn't change a thing.

I have imported an xml 1.7 from FCP X 10.4.2 and there is a lot of retiming going on and it looks like DaVinci Resolve cannot deal with that.

I have another short that has 250 cuts in 10 seconds that plays perfectly, but the retiming-heavy short film does not play at all. It's chop-chop-chop-chopper.

The weirdest thing is that turning on all the caches and even setting proxy to quarter resolution does not reduce the choppiness the least.

There may still be a bug there (I only use the color page)
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5 Build 7
2020 27"iMac 4GB Vram 16GB RAM, i9 10-core processor, Mac OS Ventura,

Piotr Wozniacki

PostMon May 28, 2018 5:44 am

Yeah... and I'm absolutely, 100% sure it's not my hardware as both with the 12.5.3 and the very first Beta of 15, I have no playback speed issues whatsoever... Where as with the 15 Beta 3, I can reproduce a simple test - always with the same results:

- a clip (XAVC-I UHD@50p) without anything done to it yet plays back with full, solid green dot, 50 fps speed (from the source drive)
- if I force Resolve to cache this same clip (DNxHR 444 HDR), it can only play back with some 40 fps
- it's not my cache drive's fault, as this is the fastest possible, NVMe SSD disk (plus I played back from it perfect 50 fps with Resolve 12.5.3 and 15 Beta 1)
- of course, after I grade such a clip and use - say - Smart Caching, it cannot play back full speed either (and again: it was perfectly possible with the 12.5.3 and the 15 Beta 1).

This is exactly how the issue started with Release 14.2; in the 14.3 not only cached media but even those on the timeline, played back from the source drive, never exceeded some 24 fps (in 50p project). It turned out it was enough to close the Scopes - and the fps returned to normal (full 50 fps).

Piotr
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve