Problems with position, scale and motion blur.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rafael Duarte

Problems with position, scale and motion blur.

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 4:33 am

Hello! I am working on post for a tv series shot in 6k where they used alot of zoom ins for comedic effect. I am trying to stay within Resolve (last season we used after effects for the transform effects and it was a nightmare); the edit has all the keyframes for the transforms (scale and position - which by the way has a terrible interface to work with). I meant to use the motion blur available in the color page but it fails to appear in the final render. It simply "forgets" to render the motion blur.

I am dreading having to use Fusion connect on these clips (it's a lot!) just for simple scale effects or even worse, going back to After effects.

I have recently found out that even Premiere is capable of adding motion blur to transform effects. Is it possible that this cannot be done inside Resolve without the reelsmart plugin?

Can anyone help?
Ryzen 9 5950x, 64GB RAM ddr4 3200MHz, RTX3080Ti, Windows 11 Pro,
Resolve Studio 18.1, Decklink Mini-monitor 4K

Rafael Duarte
DP, colorist, compositor

machinafilmes.com
Porto Alegre, Brazil

Hector Berrebi

Re: Problems with position, scale and motion blur.

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 6:55 am

Rafael Duarte wrote:Hello! I am working on post for a tv series shot in 6k where they used alot of zoom ins for comedic effect. I am trying to stay within Resolve (last season we used after effects for the transform effects and it was a nightmare); the edit has all the keyframes for the transforms (scale and position - which by the way has a terrible interface to work with). I meant to use the motion blur available in the color page but it fails to appear in the final render. It simply "forgets" to render the motion blur.

I am dreading having to use Fusion connect on these clips (it's a lot!) just for simple scale effects or even worse, going back to After effects.

I have recently found out that even Premiere is capable of adding motion blur to transform effects. Is it possible that this cannot be done inside Resolve without the reelsmart plugin?

Can anyone help?

Hey Rafael

Yup.. it is indeed missing and hopefully gets added in eventually.
The color page motion blur isn't meant for that... its "smarter" (and dumber) and meant to add motion blur in-shot rather than on-shot (if this makes sense :) )

Not sure RSMB will work either in this case, but the demo is free to try (watermarked). I'll check later today when I'm next to it.

I use Sapphire's S_BlurMotion (not a full motion blur, needs manual tweaking)
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Rafael Duarte

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 2:35 pm

The weird thing is that when I add the motion blur on the color page it works fine (even though it does add more blur to the footage). Then I go on grading the rest of the shots and when I come back, the motion blur is gone.
I will give these other two options a try. Thanks for the input!
Ryzen 9 5950x, 64GB RAM ddr4 3200MHz, RTX3080Ti, Windows 11 Pro,
Resolve Studio 18.1, Decklink Mini-monitor 4K

Rafael Duarte
DP, colorist, compositor

machinafilmes.com
Porto Alegre, Brazil

Hector Berrebi

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Rafael Duarte wrote:The weird thing is that when I add the motion blur on the color page it works fine (even though it does add more blur to the footage). Then I go on grading the rest of the shots and when I come back, the motion blur is gone.
I will give these other two options a try. Thanks for the input!

Hey Rafael.

You're right! (almost :) )

Unlike I thought it does work. Just not the way you had it.

When zooming with key framed transform from inspector the motion blur adds blur like its expected to, it does it to motion inside the shot, but not to the zoom-in itself. Maybe what got you confused.

However, if you do the transform on a node in the color page using Node Sizing, then on a later node apply motion blur, it works!

I didn't know this.

Hector Berrebi

PostThu Mar 15, 2018 4:06 pm

First picture is with zoom done in color page, second with zoom in edit page, both have 100 motion blur.
Since there is zero motion in the shot, second pic looks unaffected. It would show motion blur otherwise, just not zoom in motion blur.

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 18.00.06.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 18.00.06.png (543.48 KiB) Viewed 2000 times

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 18.04.10.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 18.04.10.png (625.86 KiB) Viewed 2000 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve