10 bit colors with Resolve and Eizo 318 4k

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AndreasOberg

10 bit colors with Resolve and Eizo 318 4k

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 12:51 pm

I'm considering getting an Eizo 318 4k monitor.
I'm wondering what would be the way to get a 10bit color output to the screen for both Resolve and also Photoshop.

Currently, we are using Titan X cards for Resolve since Quadro are either very expensive or slower.
Possible solutions I see:
- Get a cheaper Quadro to display from. But how will the programs react? Many programs only use 1 GPU so then I guess they will use the cheap Quadro and be slow
- Get a decklink card. I have no experience with these cards. Can you use them for other programs than Resolve?

Best wishes,
Andreas
VFX Director - Visual Forest Ltd

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: 10 bit colors with Resolve and Eizo 318 4k

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Resolve GUI preview on PC is 8bit and also may not be color accurate, so forget about GUI monitoring in Resolve.
BM card with HDMI and this is the best what you can do up to UHD 30p.
If you want UHD 50/60p then things get bit more complicated as Eizo 318 4k HDMI is only version 1.4 and you need to use DisplayPort.
In this case you need BM card with 4x 3G SDI output+ Apantec converter which is expensive and not widely available (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... splay.html).

BM cards use to work with Photoshop- not sure what is the current status.

Use search- this has been discussed few times already. There are people on this forum using Apantec converter, so this is verified solution.

Hector Berrebi

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 6:23 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Resolve GUI preview on PC is 8bit and also may not be color accurate, so forget about GUI monitoring in Resolve.
If you want UHD 50/60p then things get bit more complicated as Eizo 318 4k HDMI is only version 1.4 and you need to use DisplayPort.

Andrew, to my best knowledge this model supports 10 bit over HDMI (UHD) from the Mini Monitor 4K.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Martin Schitter

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 7:15 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Andrew, to my best knowledge this model supports 10 bit over HDMI (UHD) from the Mini Monitor 4K.

hmm -- does it also work at 60fps 4:4:4, which is the common refresh rate and color transport mode for computer screens, or does it perhaps only work for 24, 25 and 30fps?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 10:20 am

Hector Berrebi wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Resolve GUI preview on PC is 8bit and also may not be color accurate, so forget about GUI monitoring in Resolve.

Andrew, to my best knowledge this model supports 10 bit over HDMI (UHD) from the Mini Monitor 4K.

Yes, but only up to UHD 30p. It's 1.4 chip, so no 4:2:2 10bit 50/60p support over HDMI. If you do only up to 30p then this will work fine, but for 50/60p (or 4:4:4) you have to use DisplayPort.

New Eizo HDR model has HDMI 2.0 (this will do 4:2:2 10bit UHD 50/60p, but not 4:4:4 which DP can).

Hector Berrebi

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Yes, but only up to UHD 30p. It's 1.4 chip, so no 4:2:2 10bit 50/60p support over HDMI. If you do only up to 30p then this will work fine, but for 50/60p (or 4:4:4) you have to use DisplayPort.

New Eizo HDR model has HDMI 2.0 (this will do 4:2:2 10bit UHD 50/60p, but not 4:4:4 which DP can).

Well... Considering most work isn't 50/60P, and most of the 50/60P work out there isn't 4:4:4 and hardly even 10 bit. This combo of card + monitor covers most common scenarios.

I guess when you become a 4:4:4 60P UHD color facility/professional, you should charge enough to afford more than an Eizo ;)

And as for 4:4:4 monitoring. Though I also do, and advocate for it, its a luxury, and in most projects not crucial for color accuracy, nor it influences results.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Martin Schitter

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Hector Berrebi wrote:I guess when you become a 4:4:4 60P UHD color facility/professional, you should charge enough to afford more than an Eizo ;)

yes this may be sound exciting in the world of broadcast equipment, but concerning nowadays computer graphics it's just the bare minimum quality requirement, everybody expects as useful for practical work. in this world, we even enjoy subpixel rendering facilities, to draw font contours a little bit more accurate than just pixel precise on screen, while in those other sphere even much more unpredictable color subsampling artifacts are usually accepted as an unavoidable given fact... ;)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 5:37 pm

Hector Berrebi wrote:I guess when you become a 4:4:4 60P UHD color facility/professional, you should charge enough to afford more than an Eizo ;)

And as for 4:4:4 monitoring. Though I also do, and advocate for it, its a luxury, and in most projects not crucial for color accuracy, nor it influences results.

HDMI from BM card is definitely good enough for most scenarios.

You could be surprised how many "enthusiasts" (those who know what they're doing) have better setup (like 4:4:4 monitoring etc) compared to big post houses. The only thing which those enthusiast don't have are expensive monitors as they simply can't afford them.

I still would 10x prefer to use out of GPU preview over DP 1.2 in small studio as it solves so many problems (assuming app supports it properly). SDI is only needed for distance (actually today you can send DP 1.2 as "data" over fibre for miles if you really want).

Return to DaVinci Resolve