Fusion connect - doesn't render Quicktime DNxHD

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

chrisbrearley

Fusion connect - doesn't render Quicktime DNxHD

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Resolve doesn't render anything out when selecting Quicktime DNxHD as render codec and choosing Render Media, DNxHR and other file types seem to work however. It builds the file structure but no file appears.
*edit. Just tried this on another machine in the building running Resolve Lite and it works, very odd.

Also, am I right in thinking that whatever file type is selected as the output file from Resolve, it needs the same file to be rendered back from Fusion for it to be recognised? For example I have rendered out a DPX sequence from Resolve for VFX work but rendered a QT from Fusion for easier playback in Resolve but I am getting 'Selected version of Fusion Connect clip is not rendered. Do you wish to open this clip in Fusion?'. Resolve recognises different versions in Fusion Connect > Select Version > but gives that error when trying to select them.

Nathan Morgan

Re: Fusion connect - doesn't render Quicktime DNxHD

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 2:37 pm

chrisbrearley wrote:Resolve doesn't render anything out when selecting Quicktime DNxHD as render codec and choosing Render Media, DNxHR and other file types seem to work however. It builds the file structure but no file appears.
*edit. Just tried this on another machine in the building running Resolve Lite and it works, very odd.

Also, am I right in thinking that whatever file type is selected as the output file from Resolve, it needs the same file to be rendered back from Fusion for it to be recognised? For example I have rendered out a DPX sequence from Resolve for VFX work but rendered a QT from Fusion for easier playback in Resolve but I am getting 'Selected version of Fusion Connect clip is not rendered. Do you wish to open this clip in Fusion?'. Resolve recognises different versions in Fusion Connect > Select Version > but gives that error when trying to select them.
I am also having that problem with DNxHD. I reported it here on the forums last month but didn't see any response from developers. (Though truthfully not sure if that is something that is handled by the resolve team for the fusion team)

As far as format goes, when using fusion connect you do need to render in the same format you exported. The beauty of using fusion connect is that your output node should be automatically setup correctly for you when you open the comp.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

Alex Uzan

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 4:17 pm

chrisbrearley

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 8:21 pm

I used to have Avid codecs installed but got rid when everyone started to include native encoders and decoders. You don't need them out of the delivery page so I wonder why you do here? Seems odd but I'll reinstall them and see it works.

Would love for them to change the need for same file types. I sometimes use After Effects with Fusion Connect and just having the choice of media to render too would be helpful.

I can understand why Blackmagic want you to only use Fusion but it would be great if the versioning for VFX was implemented properly in some way so that it wasn't built around fusion. They are selling Resolve in as a finishing system so it should be able to play nicely with any other VFX software.

Uli Plank

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 7:45 am

There is a hack to use other VFX programs with Fusion Connect:

Liftgammagain has a tutorial under post production too.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

chrisbrearley

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 11:05 am

Thanks Uli. Yes I've seen this and it is how I use it with AE and Nuke. It does have it's limitations though like the same file type issue as discussed above but overall works fairly well as long as you follow the rules.

As mentioned it would be nice for Blackmagic to develop this tool even further.

chrisbrearley

Re: Fusion connect - can this be a proper versioning tool?

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 11:34 am

A couple of improvements to this versioning would include...

File Path renaming. Currently we are left with something like Compositions\88019e9b-fbbf-456a-9ab5-9cda40a352db. The Compositions folder is not needed and why the creation of the weird folder name? Surely this should be the name of the Fusion Connect clip? If you are outputting loads of shots for VFX you need to be able to find them easily. Imagine having a folder with 100 folders in it all with names something like 88019e9b-fbbf-456a-9ab5-9cda40a352db. This fine if you are working on the shot yourself but imagine trying to organise a load of shots and artists like this! Hi Dave your shot is here server\job\Compositions\88019e9b-fbbf-456a-9ab5-9cda40a352db\V1-0001_A001C016_170901_R2EV....

Specifying a custom folder to look in for versions AND a custom name as well would be huge. Shots coming back from VFX currently need to be renamed exactly the same as the connect clip with a _v1, v2_ etc. We tend to put a o_ prefix in all our VFX shots to signify a shot coming Out of VFX. Doing this currently would mean Resolve doesn't see the shots.

The rendered plate from Resolve should also have the same name as the Connect clip as well as the folder it lives in. Currently the plate is given the original clip name and the folder is lives in gets a V1-0001_ type thing inserted in front of it. It would be nice to give the plates it's own suffix such as BG etc or a prefix.

Having not have to send the same file type back to Resolve as mentioned above would be great.

Some extra Render options as currently found on the Delivery page are needed. Flat pass, ignore sizing, handles etc.

Return to DaVinci Resolve