Izotope VST plugins, beachballin and crashes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Shane Colella

Izotope VST plugins, beachballin and crashes

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 3:31 pm

Hello all,

I have been a big fan of DR for years now, and they have been getting better and more stable with every update..yet, still I have a few Izotope plugins (VST) and they are amazing btw, but whenever I use them in DR (14.3) they hiccup, sometimes they work, sometimes they grind the system to a halt, beach balling a LOT, or just sending DR into an unresponsive state... Are there any tweaks or fixes I can do to make these work better. It's really interruptive to my workflow, as I use the de-noise plugin all the time and it's fantastic, when it works, almost magical what it can do sometimes when I get footage with a bunch of noise.
Interestingly, most of the forum posts involving VST plug-in have NO responses by actual blackmagic design people. Is this something you guys are just ignoring? I'd love to hear an person from blackmagic respond...

Please assist, I don't want to have to go back to Premiere just to doctor audio... Fairlight I thought would have helped this issue, but still having major problems.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Thanks.

Shane Colella

Re: Izotope VST plugins, beachballin and crashes

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 3:42 pm

In looking at the Audio plugins in the system preference menu, I see VST versions of the plugins and AU versions of the same Izotope plugins,... Could this be the issue? Which ones would be more stable?
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Shane Colella

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 6:11 pm

Soooooo no-one from BlackMagic can respond here?
You guys seem to be consistently silent on this topic all across the forums.
Can I kindly ask why?

If it just doesn't work let us know, or lets us know the real workaround, radio silence is never a good option...

Thanks.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 5:52 am

The iZotope RX 6 plug-ins work fine for me under Mac OSX. In truth, I tend to use them more in standalone mode, because I'm a real stickler for only using processing like this when it's really necessary, not inserted in a track all the time. Some of the iZotope stuff can wreak terrible damage if you don't stay right on top of them.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Chris Holmes

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 6:15 am

Marc Wielage wrote:The iZotope RX 6 plug-ins work fine for me under Mac OSX. In truth, I tend to use them more in standalone mode, because I'm a real stickler for only using processing like this when it's really necessary, not inserted in a track all the time. Some of the iZotope stuff can wreak terrible damage if you don't stay right on top of them.

+1
I like to keep things light and speedy in Resolve, I am using RX6 in standalone mode and am still doing other heavy lifting in Pro Tools and round tripping.

Also, just a side note- I have had issues putting vst plugins directly on the clips versus the tracks, causing crashes and inability to delete clips etc.

C
System Info
Resolve Studio 14.3
Windows 10 Pro version 1709
SuperMicro 7048GR-TR
Dual 18 Core / 4x 1080ti / Cubix Xpndr

Shane Colella

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks Marc and Chris,
I will adjust and work in standalone, and only treat the clips as necessary. Good to know about the effects on clips vs. track, that might be a better way to go.

Thanks again for the replies.
Cheers.

Return to DaVinci Resolve