Stills Disappeared from gallery?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Gabi Bucataru

Stills Disappeared from gallery?

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 4:48 pm

So, I am not sure what happened but when I opened my project today all the stills (including reference jpgs, etc.), were all gone.

Not sure what I did wrong
Thanks!
gabi
Resolve 18.6.2 Studio * WIN10 Pro 64-bit * intel core i7-7700K CPU 4.20Ghz * 32 Gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti *

Chip.Murphy

Re: Stills Disappeared from gallery?

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 5:14 pm

Is your media cache location accessible on that machine?

Emilio Mejia

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 6:34 pm

Has anybody found a fix for this. I had support send me instructions on setting my cache and gallery locations but it's still happening. I tried making a new project and it's happening on that one too. Resolve just forgets where my stills are. I go into the gallery and the stills are still there but the app isn't displaying them or allowing me to apply the looks to my clips. I'm halfway through a feature and it's really frustrating not being able to quickly reference old footage to match looks. I'd really like to fix this in the next couple of days.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Gabi Bucataru

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 7:02 pm

in my case it was the fact that I had a different cache location.
We are sharing drps between colorists and each one of us has different cache locations. At least that was the issue in our case.
Would be nice to be able to re-link the missing gallery stills like you do with clips.
Resolve 18.6.2 Studio * WIN10 Pro 64-bit * intel core i7-7700K CPU 4.20Ghz * 32 Gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti *

Emilio Mejia

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 9:48 pm

Mine are all the same and not shared. I'm curious if it's a permissions thing but the directory I'm using is in my user directory so I don't know why it wouldn't work. If I wasn't in the middle of a bigger project I'd nuke my install and start fresh with a new database and see if that works.

Emilio Mejia

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 11:18 pm

So, I ended up backing up my projects, making a new database, and importing the projects back in. It's been a few days and the stills I've made since then have not disappeared. The old ones are still gone but at least I can move forward without losing more of them. I'll report back in a few days if it starts happening again.

Willian Aleman

PostFri Apr 06, 2018 10:16 am

I posted a workaround to this issue a while ago on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=69930
It has been working fine since.
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
MacOS: 10.15.7 (19H2)
processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

Emilio Mejia

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 1:02 am

Emilio Mejia wrote:So, I ended up backing up my projects, making a new database, and importing the projects back in. It's been a few days and the stills I've made since then have not disappeared. The old ones are still gone but at least I can move forward without losing more of them. I'll report back in a few days if it starts happening again.

Update: The stills started to disappear again. Back to square one. I might try 15 beta and see if that has the issue. I'm 3/4 through this feature so I don't know if it's even worth it at this point. I've had to color by eye rather than being able to reference past grades. I hope it all looks good in the edit.

Willian Aleman

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi Emilio,

Upgrading Resolve to 15 beta in the middle of a 3/4 feature film grade seems like a risky choice.
Why not to use the Power Grade workaround mentioned in the previous response. It works.
I have been using it since February. The only operation it requires is to re-save the current grades into
Power Grades Gallery album.
At the moment of this writing, there is not a fix to the issue in any DR14 versions, including the most recent previous to 15, 14.3.
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
MacOS: 10.15.7 (19H2)
processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

Emilio Mejia

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Willian Aleman wrote:Hi Emilio,

Upgrading Resolve to 15 beta in the middle of a 3/4 feature film grade seems like a risky choice.
Why not to use the Power Grade workaround mentioned in the previous response. It works.
I have been using it since February. The only operation it requires is to re-save the current grades into
Power Grades Gallery album.
At the moment of this writing, there is not a fix to the issue in any DR14 versions, including the most recent previous to 15, 14.3.

You're right, I should wait. I'm just so bummed I haven't been able to keep everything so far. I'll start using Power Grades albums, thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve