Atmospheric Perspective

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

James McDonagh

Atmospheric Perspective

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Hey guys,

I've just started using DaVinci Resolve for color grading one of my films and I am attempting to pull off what it is known as Atmospheric Perspective which is basically the technique of making the background low in contrast and the foreground high in contrast. I've managed to grade one of my shots with this technique (see below) by using a mask on the character's face and a mask for the background and applying differing contrast levels for the two. However, when I play the clip beyond where I have outlined the masks and the character moves then the whole trick is revealed. I have tried using the tracker but it does not seem to be working well... is it possible to have the trackers track my character's face as he moves?

https://imgur.com/a/ARmar

Kays Alatrakchi

Re: Atmospheric Perspective

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 4:20 pm

The tracker can do wonders, but depending on the type of motion you might need to manually adjust it. To manually insert keyframes in the Tracker, switch from Clip to Frame mode.

Also, I don't think you need two separate mask, you can use an Inside/Outside node combo to basically affect the foreground and background in different nodes while connected to the same mask.

Lastly, you might want to switch off the 3D checkbox on the tracker, I find that more often than not it screws up my mask by trying to interpret the footage movement incorrectly (it can work well with broader masking, but not something specific like this).

If everything else fails, you might need to go into an external app like Aftereffects and Mocha to build a proper matte, but honestly I think you should be able to do it completely in Resolve.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Miltos Pilalitos

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 4:48 pm

James McDonagh wrote:Hey guys,
...is it possible to have the trackers track my character's face as he moves?
https://imgur.com/a/ARmar

To the extended you would need for a photo-realistic result... NO.

What you are asking for can only be solved with rotoscoping. You can assist your roto-splines with trackers but tracking only can't produce the mask you want.

Fusion can be considered as Resolve's VFX extension and is the perfect tool for what you need. The free version is enough to produce the mask you want.
Windows 10 x64 • Threadripper 1950x • 64GB RAM • RTX 4090 24GB • Latest Nvidia drivers
Fusioneer since Fu4.0 • Resolver since v9

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 8:04 pm

there are photographic techniques that work really well in still photography, but they require tight rotiscoping for moving images: that will make the shot not a color correction but a vfx shot. (Or at least to generate that matte).

Also, the light wrap in the main fg subject need to be addressed in order to not have a cutout feeling once in motion.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

James McDonagh

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 8:26 pm

All great answers here, I'll look into the issue with this information. Many thanks.

Marc Wielage

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 12:30 am

James McDonagh wrote:However, when I play the clip beyond where I have outlined the masks and the character moves then the whole trick is revealed. I have tried using the tracker but it does not seem to be working well... is it possible to have the trackers track my character's face as he moves?

Sure! Do it by hand.

Rotoscoping is a part of the black art of VFX and color these days. Often, there's no other way to do it except that. As long as you have the time available, it can work very well. I find a combination of auto-tracking and manual roto is needed for best results.

I see a ton of stuff on TV where they're using tracking windows to blur the background and sharpen the characters, above and beyond the short depth-of-field in the lens itself. I was just noticing this in the most recent episode of Alienist, which is a really beautiful (albeit disturbing) show.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Sam Steti

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 10:30 am

Honestly, your still pic doesn't show enough content to be able to comment in a relevant way.
While I'd agree with Kays here (for the 3d unticked too btw), it still depends on the motion of the character, how often you have to adjust your matte, how often it goes from his face and shoulders only to the whole body etc...
Also, is the real purpose really to roto the guy the whole clips along ? Or a rough garbage matte would be enough ?
Because what I understand is you want to go further the fake DOF that you may do very quick with just the default tilt-shift ready to use Resolve ofx : this technique doesn't require to specifically roto the FG character, a well outlined power window + a outside node are enough (or just rotating the default tilt-shift ofx); here it looks like it's a question of rotoscoping, and that's really another stuff...

Anyway, I would personally do the more I can inside Resolve, maybe going to Fu (connect) sometimes if needed (because as Walter wrote, I think light wrap maybe be the main problem to keep it realistic and Fu is skilled for that).
But if you really intend to roto any angle ( :o ), for sure I'd personally run to Mocha (and run very quick :) )
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to DaVinci Resolve