timelapse / Newbie question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Umbo680

timelapse / Newbie question

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 11:26 pm

Hi all,

I have downloaded Resolve to create a timelapse video from SLR raw files. At the moment I am making some "experiments" and finding my way around the program, so I am using low resolutions JPG of the raw files, to expedite the calculation time.

I have seached this forum for previous posts and there is only one post that is somehow relevant (not allowed to post urls, sorry :roll: )

However, the post mentions re-timeline, which is an option that is not active in my project.
I searched on the manual but didn't find an appropriate workflow to create time lapse videos from stills.

Here is what I am doing at the moment, and I hope there is a better workflow to achieve the same result. I process 300 photos at the time.

1. import the photos in bins
2. add the photos to the timeline, standard duration is exactly 5 seconds
3. in order to reduce duration, I select the stills, right click and choose "Remove attributes". This leaves me with each single frame of 1/100 of a second (too fast in my opinion) and a "space" of 4.99 seconds between stills, which I have to remove manually.
4. Remove space and create a compact time lapse.

What workflow would you suggest? which resources / videos to review?

Thanks in advance for your support (and patience)
Umberto

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: timelapse / Newbie question

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 11:52 pm

#resolve
Preference
User
Editing
Standard still duration

Set the amount you need before editing.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Nathan Morgan

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 11:56 pm

How are your files named? The easiest way would probably be to do a batch rename to give your files a FILENAME_#####.jpg name and then have DaVinci import them as an image sequence. You could then manipulate your timelapse as a video clip.

Though if you want to keep them as individual stills, Walter's info on still duration is correct also note that resolve has a really cool function where you can roll edit multiple edits as one so you could change your still duration that way.
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 4:41 am

If you have all the photos names in sequential order, and use this setting in the Media page storage three dots before you move the clips into the Media Pool, Resolve will treat them as a clip which you can them adjust.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 12.39.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 12.39.45 PM.png (30.21 KiB) Viewed 6121 times
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Umbo680

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 5:26 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:#resolve
Preference
User
Editing
Standard still duration

Set the amount you need before editing.

I have always been a PC user, and it's amazing how I never considered clicking on Resolve in the menu bar! That's exactly what I needed!

Thank you all for the precious information, I will start playing around with the controls now, and start building the time lapse video

Jim Simon

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 8:42 pm

Umbo680 wrote:I have always been a PC user, and it's amazing how I never considered clicking on Resolve in the menu bar!

Don't feel too bad. Blackmagic seems to be a mac house, with Windows as an afterthought.

The DaVinci Resolve menu list is common on Mac OS, but largely nonexistent on Windows. The About box is always under the Help menu, Preferences is under the Edit menu, and Close is under the File menu. There's never a top bar menu entry with the program's name on Windows programs. BMD didn't quite get the 'translation' right.

Personally I'd love for BMD to fix this, use standard Windows design for their Windows version.

Peter?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 4:42 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Umbo680 wrote:I have always been a PC user, and it's amazing how I never considered clicking on Resolve in the menu bar!

Don't feel too bad. Blackmagic seems to be a mac house, with Windows as an afterthought.

The DaVinci Resolve menu list is common on Mac OS, but largely nonexistent on Windows. The About box is always under the Help menu, Preferences is under the Edit menu, and Close is under the File menu. There's never a top bar menu entry with the program's name on Windows programs. BMD didn't quite get the 'translation' right.

Personally I'd love for BMD to fix this, use standard Windows design for their Windows version.

Peter?

While i understand the reasoning, i switch from linux to mac (occasionally) to pc (home): i rather have the exact same menu.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Jim Simon

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 5:10 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:i rather have the exact same menu.

BMD can make them all look like the Windows version. I won't mind. :D
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Francis Chee

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 7:43 am

Is there anyway in DaVinci resolve 14 to import stills (i generally produce upwards of 1000 images) into Resovle, just like in FCP7, After effects etc and see individual images each of 1 frame duration (yes I know how to change the still duration in DR. My reasoning is for editing out individual clips (especially wildlife/scientific stuff). I don't want a sequence that's a clip, I want to see on the time line individual clips of 1 frame duration. I too have heard of all these mysterious ways of renaming clips etc. etc. I want to use DR for all of color correction but maybe it can't do this. It would be great if anyone who was/is an old (as in experienced not as in age LOL) editor in AE or FCP or even Premier and knows what i'm talking about could advise regarding doing similar in DR. Because i'd upgrade to the paid version if i knew it would work for my company, otherwise I'll stick with old FCP and AE . :)

Nathan Morgan

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 5:13 pm

I think what you are looking for is the "show individual frames" selection which is in the triple dot menu on the media page.

Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 10.12.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 10.12.09 AM.png (71.08 KiB) Viewed 5823 times
PC: Resolve 18.0.1, WINDOWS 10, GTX 3090
Desktop Video 12.0
(All bug reports etc. are PC unless specified.)
Mac: Mac Studio M1 Ultra, Resolve 18.0.1, 12.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve