Nuke to Resolve OpenEXR workflow

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Yogesh Patel

Nuke to Resolve OpenEXR workflow

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 1:11 pm

I have some 3d rendered EXR files that i am compositing in Nuke, once the EXR files are exported and then when i import them in Resolve, the Gamma levels are changed. The images are darker than what is seen in Nuke.
So what is the best workflow for color grading OpenEXR from Nuke to Resolve?

Timothy Montoya

Re: Nuke to Resolve OpenEXR workflow

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 11:41 pm

There are a bunch of ways to go about it, but I would double check your write node settings in Nuke. I believe for standard (Non-ACES) EXR's, your colorspace/gamma should be linear.

Then in Resolve, because (I assume) your input, timeline, and output color space settings are all set to REC709, on the first node in your node tree (or second node, if you want to do adjustments on the linear footage), add the Color Space Transform FX, set the input to linear and output to REC709. This should hopefully solve the issue. It sounds like you've been basically you've been looking at the linear files as is, which gives really weird results because there's way more information there than your monitor can display.

Igor Riđanović

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 12:05 am

There is a number of ways to do this. It depends on what's inside the EXR files.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Yogesh Patel

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 5:58 am

My exr files are 3d animation renders made with Maya and Vray,
Yes the EXR files are rendered in Linear Workspace

Return to DaVinci Resolve