Resolve Live Setup Requirements

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

skinny_m

Resolve Live Setup Requirements

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Hello!

In the next couple of weeks I am DIT'ing a friends shoot. I normally download and exposure monitor but hes DOPing a dance against blackouts and wants me to monitor live making sure that his spill is controllable in the grade. I plan to do this using resolve live, now this isnt ideal as I know resolve is power hungry but I will be taking a logC 1080p signal from an Alexa Classic, possibly through a teradek. All I need to do is apply a lut and occasionally tweak settings in real time.

Now because its a friends shoot I wont be doing what I normally do and pulling in rented horsepower, ill be relying on my own kit. All I am asking is what is my best option,

A) Dell XPS 15 Fully loaded with i7 4770MQ and 960M gpu using a mini monitor through the thunderbolt port and something like an ultrastudio USB3.0 for the input

OR

B) My tower rig which has an i7 3770K overclocked with a GTX 690 using a blackmagic decklink 4K to handle the input and output for the rig.

Will this be enough to do these basic corrections? I understand I probably should use much more horsepower than this but Im not going to be pushing it too far.

I guess as a last resort I can pull in a gtx 1080 off of FatLama to use.

Thank you in advance for your help! :D

Return to DaVinci Resolve