Editing: Decompose in Place creates additional tracks. why?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Georg Pelzer

Editing: Decompose in Place creates additional tracks. why?

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 12:07 pm

I have a problem with the editing workflow using clips with multiple audio tracks:

If I use the "decompose in place" function davinci creates new audio tracks for each of the audio tracks of an imported clip (moving all the other clips in the timeline further down). Like that, importing from timelines (which I do a lot) becomes virtually unusable...... so I am sure I'm overlooking something, can anyone help me out?

I import from a timeline (where I synced my audio) via F9 from the source monitor. DaVinci imports it with only one audio (which I then have to "decompose in place" via right click). So far so good, even though for my workflow it would be more convenient if I wouldn't have to decompose all the time and davinci would just load all the audio clips automatically. more avid style.......is there a workaround? or a better worflow?

thank you for your help!
Georg Pelzer

Denis Pilon

Re: Editing: Decompose in Place creates additional tracks. w

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 12:27 pm

+ 10000 !!!!

I talked about this problem long time ago in this forum.

It will be good to decompose just the layer you need in the timeline.
Ex.: If I have a sequence in source viewer that is composed of one clip in V1,
the decompose bring to my timeline just one layer, V1 for this example. Not 12 empty layers !!!!!

It will be good to have the choice, like Premiere Pro, to import layer by layer or a nested sequence
in your timeline. I talked to this feature to the product designer in last NAB 2017.
Resolve 18.0.4 Build 5
Desktop Video 12.2.0
Supermicro PC 7048GR-TR
Win 10 Pro
CPU: 2 x Xeon E5-2687W/10-Core 3.1GHz
RAM: 128GB
Maxwell RTX-3090 & 3060
Driver 511.65
Avid Artist DNxIO
System storage: 512GB SSD
Storage: Accusys Exasan 96TB total/RAID5

John Paines

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Instead of using F9, drag the timeline from the media pool or the source viewer (with or without in/out points) into the current timeline while holding down "ctrl". In that case, all the tracks are already decompressed and new tracks won't be created if you line up everything correctly.

Georg Pelzer

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 1:20 pm

Hey John, thanks for the reply. But for professional editing this solution is very complicated (personally I must say it would make da vinci unusable for many projects.....) especially if you're editing a lot of material / long takes. (eg. I'm currently working on a project with some 700 clips / 60 hours.......not in Davinci of course.......)

I'm still hoping we are overlooking something...........I'm sure there must be a solution to quickly set I/O and import to timeline (why else implement I/O??)...........is anyone using davinci for documentary projects or narrative stuff and has more experience? I would assume that a lot of people have these issues....... so I'm thankful for any hint how to solve the problem!
Georg Pelzer

Georg Pelzer

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 1:23 pm

sorry John, read again, tried and it works! thank you!
would still be handy though, if you wouldn't have to use the mouse or could change the default behaviour in the settings. thanks again!
Georg Pelzer

John Paines

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 1:28 pm

You can also just copy and paste tracks from one timeline into another. A drawback of the ctrl-drag method is that it's only overwrite.

BrandonFreeman

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 3:55 pm

It would be killer if we could add a command/control key function to the F9-F12 shortcuts specifying that we want to decompose along with the desired edit action. Also is there a shortcut key to opening a sequence in the source window? In Premiere I have that mapped to Shift+O. The less I have to touch the mouse the better...

Return to DaVinci Resolve