Grid of Videos

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jean Paul Sneider

Grid of Videos

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 8:26 pm

Hi,

I need to create a grid of videos playing simultaneusly. Match move comes to mind as the first option but I was wondering if someone came up with a easier way for big grids.

Something like the file attached.

Thanks for any kind of tip
Attachments
Grid of.jpg
Grid of.jpg (142.01 KiB) Viewed 2274 times

Jamie Dickinson

Re: Grid of Videos

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 11:11 am

I made an expression for After Effects which creates a grid for as many layers as you have in your comp, if you want it. But this is the Resolve forum :)

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 5:10 pm

I don't think any kind of plugin is necessary for this type of effect. The problem with many prefabs is that at some point, you'll say "but I don't want that, I want this" Your screen shot is the perfect example. The border spaces between those shots is all over the place. Some are wider than others, some are non-existent. This isn't really rocket science...lots of layers and some pretty simple math comes to mind, as well as some experimentation. I know a lot of people think there should just be a button that does it...but at some point, building these things is part of the fun. The idea of using math to offset clips from one to another is a surprisingly common workflow in this industry. Don't be afraid to learn how to build something "the hard way" That knowledge will more than likely come in handy down the road.

Personally I think you would find this much easier in something like Fusion or AE, but there is no reason resolve couldn't do it. Fusion would involve some fairly simple expressions on xfr nodes to automate the process a bit, but the base idea is the same.

Layer up how ever number of videos you want in the grid. 5 x 5 = 25 videos.
resize your shots all by the same amount. (might need to experiment here) to get the size you think will work. At this point, I would start with 1 line of videos (5 shots) and move them all to the extreme left of the screen, so they are all on top of each other, and it only looks like 1 video.
Then start using math to offset layer two by how ever much is needed to expose it beside layer 1.
Double that number for layer 3...repeat and rinse.
This give you your X offset numbers for each position.
Do this again, but start in a corner, and figure out your x offset. ( I would keep a piece of paper next to the keyboard, writing down the grid positions)
Fill in all the remaining spaces with the remaining clips

Jean Paul Sneider

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the answers, I know brute force is always a option. But being a job offered with little money evaluating if it was worth taking it dpended on how much I could automate my work.

I definitely have to start learning Fusion.
I went for creating the grid with photoshop and importing the composition in AE and using layes as alpha mattes.

Jamie Dickinson

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 9:37 pm

Well, I posted a couple of expressions for After Effects which will build a grid for you with as many layers as as you have in your comp. It's on my website blog if you want it

Jean Paul Sneider

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 12:03 pm

That's really helpful, I will look into it ! Thanks

Return to DaVinci Resolve