Dust Removal - Doesn't work after resizing?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lucky90

Dust Removal - Doesn't work after resizing?

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 10:44 pm

Hi, First time poster long time listener...

I just spent about 2 days doing dust removal on a music video using Resolve Lite (specs below), then after completing the dust removal, I resized some of the images in Resolve.

Now it appears, after the resize, the dust removal has disappeared? The dust is back on all the DPXs!

Now when I try and use the dust removal tool and highlight a spec of dust, nothing happens - the dust remains there. Does dust removal not work if the images have been resized? Would love some help!

My specs below:

Running Resolve (free version) 14.0.1.008 on a MacOS Hi-Sierra.
Editing DPX files.

Thank you.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Dust Removal - Doesn't work after resizing?

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 4:44 am

It should not change it
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Marc Wielage

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 5:41 am

My advice would be to render the repositioned clips, then only dust-bust the new clips.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Frank Wylie

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 12:44 am

Lucky90 wrote:Hi, First time poster long time listener...

I just spent about 2 days doing dust removal on a music video using Resolve Lite (specs below), then after completing the dust removal, I resized some of the images in Resolve.

Now it appears, after the resize, the dust removal has disappeared? The dust is back on all the DPXs!

Now when I try and use the dust removal tool and highlight a spec of dust, nothing happens - the dust remains there. Does dust removal not work if the images have been resized? Would love some help!

My specs below:

Running Resolve (free version) 14.0.1.008 on a MacOS Hi-Sierra.
Editing DPX files.

Thank you.

Sounds like you have turned-on proxies that were made PRIOR to dust busting the images. Try turning off your proxies or optimized media and see if the dust disappears.

Of course, the images you resized MIGHT have dust reappear, but only on the shots you resized. (please report back, I am curious to know if this is the case.)

If you dust bust in the future, always remember that the dust WILL be in the proxies if they are made prior to the dust busting operation. If you cannot remove a bit of dust, that's a good warning that you are viewing something other than the full resolution file, because you are seeing the proxies with dirt. Resolve does NOT recursively update proxies when dust busting.

I suggest that you perform this operation early on in the project and you render out any dust busted files to new, full resolution .DPX files immediately and then replace those shots in your project with the dust busted shots prior to color grading or resizing.
Frank Wylie

Return to DaVinci Resolve