Exporting pictures

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Vic Valentic

Exporting pictures

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 3:51 pm

Hello all,

I would like to export ten pictures at once. Can you please help me with this?

Thank you,
Vic.

Cary Knoop

Re: Exporting pictures

PostSat Mar 24, 2018 4:35 pm

Select an in and out range for your pictures in the Deliver page, then select Format TIFF and render.

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 5:24 pm

If you are talking about frame grabs from a show, then you would need to create a new delivery queue for each shot, going through the timeline to id them.

What I've done in the past is duplicate the timeline, and razor the frame(on both sides) needed for a grab.
Then after your entire timeline is setup, delete all the large chunks, leaving a timeline of only the individual frames you want to export.

Go to the delivery tab an select tiffs, individual frames and render out the timeline.

The last one I did was about 30 or 40 frame grabs from a feature. It took me about 5 mins to set it up using the producers notes for the timecodes they wanted, and about 30 seconds to output the clips.

roger.magnusson

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 5:42 pm

Why not use the Grab Still feature? Select all grabbed stills in the Gallery, right click, Export.

GregAusina

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 10:46 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Why not use the Grab Still feature? Select all grabbed stills in the Gallery, right click, Export.

Doing it from the delivery page allows you to render at sources resolution which is often higher than the timeline. Grabs are only at the timeline resolution.
Grégoire AUSINA / Gisèle productions
Davinci 18.6.5 on Windows 10 / latest Nvidia studio driver / Dual Xeon E-2650v4 / supermicro X10DRG-Q / 128 Go RAM / GUI GTX 1070 / Cuda GTX 3090 - FSI CM250 - Tangent Elements - Accusys A12S3-p+

roger.magnusson

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 10:55 pm

Ah, good point. However, the timeline resolution also determines the maximum actual delivery resolution. If your source file resolution is higher than the timeline and you render at source resolution, the output will be upscaled from the timeline resolution. At least that's how it used to be, haven't verified in v14.

Of course, you can always change the timeline resolution.

Glenn Sakatch

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Grabbing stills can easily work, but yes you have to keave your timeline in full res mode, which depending on the timeli e might be a slower way to work. Plus i would argue it us much faster to find the frame...and razor it, and move on to the next frame, doing all your exports on the deliver tab in one batch, then it would be to grab still, export still, selt location for export, and say OK.

You could even put a marker with each razor, and the only show marked clips in the deliver tab.

If you are only doing 1 or 2 stills...either way. If you are doing a lot of stills, the grab still method would become tiresome.

GregAusina

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 12:47 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Ah, good point. However, the timeline resolution also determines the maximum actual delivery resolution. If your source file resolution is higher than the timeline and you render at source resolution, the output will be upscaled from the timeline resolution. At least that's how it used to be, haven't verified in v14.

Of course, you can always change the timeline resolution.

I haven’t verified either. To me it is not logic. I don’t understand the benefit of this option if it doesn’t actually bypass the timeline resolution. Maybe someone at blackmagic could tell us how it actually works.
Grégoire AUSINA / Gisèle productions
Davinci 18.6.5 on Windows 10 / latest Nvidia studio driver / Dual Xeon E-2650v4 / supermicro X10DRG-Q / 128 Go RAM / GUI GTX 1070 / Cuda GTX 3090 - FSI CM250 - Tangent Elements - Accusys A12S3-p+

Jean Claude

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 12:49 pm

Or use the old method (nested):
create a new TL
Push the current TL into the source viewer
In / Out images to export and insert them on the new TL
Export the new TL in .Tif or .Dpx or ... other image format

be careful:
If you change TL resolution but we change the proportions: well check the rendering: on some images, it can generate aliasing and moiré. :)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Jim Simon

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 4:52 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:If your source file resolution is higher than the timeline and you render at source resolution, the output will be upscaled from the timeline resolution.

Pg 495 of the manual seems to contradict that.

In any case, a shortcut/GUI icon for exporting stills would be a welcome addition to a future version of Resolve.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

roger.magnusson

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Which page is that in the newest manual?
http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/20180207-fac7b4/DaVinci_Resolve_14_Reference_Manual.pdf

I just tested a UHD clip on an HD timeline and rendered it to UHD. The resulting file is obviously upscaled from the HD timeline. Not ideal, you just need to be aware of this limitation.

John Paines

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 6:58 pm

This comes up fairly often. If the timeline resolution doesn't match the output resolution, there will be scaling. At least, I believe that's what we've been told here. So if you edited 4K material on an HD timeline to save system resources but want to deliver 4K, change the timeline to 4K before you do so.

Jim Simon

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 9:17 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Which page is that in the newest manual?

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

roger.magnusson

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 9:24 pm

That's for the media management transcode feature. But I think I see what you mean, the "Render at source resolution" option. You can do that on the delivery page as well if you render individual clips only. So I guess that's a workaround for stills unless you've done some compositing.

Jim Simon

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 11:00 pm

Sorry, page 1229.

Tested here. Checkbox on exports original resolution, not upscaled.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 11:27 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Tested here. Checkbox on exports original resolution, not upscaled.

The output may not be upscaled, but if there's a mismatch between the timeline resolution and the original resolution, there will be internal scaling.

roger.magnusson

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 6:21 am

Jim Simon wrote:Sorry, page 1229.

Tested here. Checkbox on exports original resolution, not upscaled.

Yes, but like I said, that only works when you render individual clips, not for single clip or when you've done any compositing that requires tracks to merge.

Jim Simon

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 4:00 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Yes, but like I said, that only works when you render individual clips, not for single clip

Of course. The checkbox doesn't even appear when you choose Single Clip.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 4:01 pm

John Paines wrote:The output may not be upscaled, but if there's a mismatch between the timeline resolution and the original resolution, there will be internal scaling.

That makes no sense. Upscaling and internal scaling are the same thing.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 4:14 pm

You may end up with a file with the original native resolution, but only after it's gone through up and downscaling, when there's a mismatch between timeline resolution and deliver resolution.

So, for example, if you don't care that your 4K output delivered from an HD timeline was downscaled to HD, then upscaled to 4K for delivery, fine. Otherwise, you have a problem.

Jim Simon

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 5:02 pm

John Paines wrote:You may end up with a file with the original native resolution, but only after it's gone through up and downscaling, when there's a mismatch between timeline resolution and deliver resolution.

I don't believe that's correct. Certainly, observation would belie that idea. But so does the manual on Pg 1229.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 5:17 pm

I don't know what observations you have in mind -- sometimes you'll see the results of additional scaling and sometimes you won't -- and I don't believe the material you refer to actually addresses this issue.

Search the forum for staff comments on the matter, and judge for yourself.

Jim Simon

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 6:15 pm

John Paines wrote:I don't know what observations you have in mind

I put some UHD media into a DV sequence and exported.

It came out as the original UHD, not an upscaled DV version.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 6:17 pm

John Paines wrote:I don't believe the material you refer to actually addresses this issue.

I'm not sure how you could miss it.

"...you can choose to render each clip at it's original resolution by turning on the Render at Source Resolution checkbox..."

That seems pretty clear to me.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Paines

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 7:39 pm

There's a difference between rendering individual source clips, and rendering entire timelines, or portions of timelines, in a single clip.

The latter is going to involve multiple scalings, if there are resolution mismatches.

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 7:45 pm

Do a cut for every frame you need to export, verify that timeline is the same res of footage, use function to grab all in out still from timeline, then it export a dpx of all in out frames, then export it and delete half of frame (use a selection tips to select one on, one off).
Less operations tons of frame exported

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Christian Lessner

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 9:58 am

John Paines wrote:There's a difference between rendering individual source clips, and rendering entire timelines, or portions of timelines, in a single clip.

The latter is going to involve multiple scalings, if there are resolution mismatches.

Yep, I found this out the hard way after someone from support once told me that all scalings within Resolve would be concatinated into one operation, thus always giving the best possible quality. This is NOT the case, as illustrated in this test I ran in Resolve 14.3:

https://imgur.com/a/W0W8C

Edit: For those who want to test themselves, you can find my headache-inducing test pattern here: https://www.christianlessner.com/stuff/linepattern_uhd.tif
Resolve Studio 18.1.3 | Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
Intel i9-10980XE | RTX 3090 (528.49 SD) | 64 GB RAM | Mini Monitor 4K (12.4.2) | Mini Panel

Jean Claude

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 10:46 am

Christian Lessner wrote:
John Paines wrote:There's a difference between rendering individual source clips, and rendering entire timelines, or portions of timelines, in a single clip.

Yep, I found this out the hard way after someone from support once told me that all scalings within Resolve would be concatinated into one operation, thus always giving the best possible quality. This is NOT the case, as illustrated in this test I ran in Resolve 14.3:

https://imgur.com/a/W0W8C

Edit: For those who want to test themselves, you can find my headache-inducing test pattern here: https://www.christianlessner.com/stuff/linepattern_uhd.tif

Hi Christian,

Can you explain to what result did you expect with:
- UHD Source
- TL HD
- Delivey UHD

Thank you.
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Christian Lessner

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 3:20 pm

I expected this to happen, but there seems to be some misconception about when Resolve uses scaling and when it renders in native "untouched" resolution.
Resolve Studio 18.1.3 | Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
Intel i9-10980XE | RTX 3090 (528.49 SD) | 64 GB RAM | Mini Monitor 4K (12.4.2) | Mini Panel

Jean Claude

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 4:38 pm

Christian Lessner wrote:I expected this to happen, but there seems to be some misconception about when Resolve uses scaling and when it renders in native "untouched" resolution.

Sorry,

I think I read different things in the manual and in this forum about a delivery in 4K or UHD from a source 4K or UHD and especially how to set the TL to do this. :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve