Software Scopes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

John Burton

  • Posts: 300
  • Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Software Scopes

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 9:13 pm

Wanted to get peoples opinions on software scopes. I'd like to transition to using them for mobility reasons but the one's, well the vectorscope at least, in Resolve seems close to unusable when you're used to hardware scopes...am I doing something wrong? It's just like a blob.
Offline

Jim Simon

  • Posts: 1449
  • Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Software Scopes

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 9:38 pm

Seems to me the scopes available in external recorders like the Video Assist would be far more "portable" than dragging around a Laptop. No?
Offline

John Burton

  • Posts: 300
  • Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Re: Software Scopes

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 9:44 pm

I'll look into it...I'm old school right now...My Tektronix 1725 has been my right hand man for many, many years...I was picturing an extra monitor with a WFM VECT and an RGB Parade on it...But I suppose there's some different setups that could be had. Not looking for "in the field" gigs, but rather when folks call and have a big gig and want to sit in I like to have some options for getting my gear in and out of a studio easier then now.
Offline
User avatar

Erik Wittbusch

  • Posts: 424
  • Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:06 pm
  • Location: Duisburg, Germany

Re: Software Scopes

PostThu Mar 29, 2018 10:22 pm

I love Scopebox, the best affordable software scopes imho. You'll need a Mac and a BMD Mini Recorder over Thunderbolt.
Much, much better than my cheapo Smartscope hardware scopes or Resolves internal software scopes.

You can do pretty much everything you'll ever want. It's incredible really.

https://www.divergentmedia.com/scopebox
Offline
User avatar

waltervolpatto

  • Posts: 6293
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:07 pm
  • Location: Burbank, CA

Re: Software Scopes

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 12:10 am

Erik Wittbusch wrote:I love Scopebox, the best affordable software scopes imho. You'll need a Mac and a BMD Mini Recorder over Thunderbolt.
Much, much better than my cheapo Smartscope hardware scopes or Resolves internal software scopes.

You can do pretty much everything you'll ever want. It's incredible really.

https://www.divergentmedia.com/scopebox


+1 on the scopebox (unless you have serious $$$ to drop for a leader/tecktronix)
SuperServer 5039AD-I
C9X299-PGF - DDR4-2400 16x4 GB
i9-7920xCPU 12c 2.90GHz Water cooled
2x GTX 1080ti DeckLink Studio 4K
Window10 - Resolve Studio 15.0.1.003
nvidia dr: 398.82
Offline
User avatar

Marc Wielage

  • Posts: 4962
  • Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:46 am
  • Location: Hollywood, USA

Re: Software Scopes

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 5:53 am

Scopebox is so good for us, we're about to buy a second one. It has some issues, but for the most part it's very good. To really get something better, you'd have to spend about 7 or 8 times as much money for a serious Leader, Tektronix, or Videotek rasterizer scope.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood
Offline
User avatar

JPOwens

  • Posts: 1418
  • Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:04 pm
  • Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Re: Software Scopes

PostFri Mar 30, 2018 4:56 pm

John Burton wrote:I'd like to transition to using them for mobility reasons but the one's, well the vectorscope at least, in Resolve seems close to unusable when you're used to hardware scopes


A software scope is always going to have to run on a hardware platform, and even Scopebox needs an external computer to ingest a media stream, so you're stuck carrying another item one way or another. Plus the cableing, interface... &c.

Agreed, the internal Resolve scopes leave a lot to be desired, but nearly all rasterized displays eventually go "blobby" -- I really, really miss the good old CRT-type scopes, whatever they were doing to my long-term health. Really though, the "Vectorscope" concept itself is kind of a bit of a throwback -- only useful when you understand what it is trying to tell you, and still a bit of a guessing game as to where your true grey-scale lies... given the concept that "Black" and "White" is the same location (origin) -- something like G/R, minus-G/B is more useful (the Tektronix "Diamond") for straightening up the christmas tree.

And you can synthesize that with Scopebox.

jPo, CSI
Offline

John Burton

  • Posts: 300
  • Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Re: Software Scopes

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 1:25 pm

I appreciate the responses and think I may pull the trigger on a mac mini for scope box and, as I run a Windows based Resolve and have had instances where I need to pull source material from a Thunderbolt only drive. Not to go off topic but It appears the "newer" mac mini with the 1.4 cpu (2014 it appears) isn't that much more than a used 2012...Is there something special about the 2012's?
Offline

Brad Hurley

  • Posts: 491
  • Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 pm
  • Location: Montréal

Re: Software Scopes

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 1:32 pm

John Burton wrote:I appreciate the responses and think I may pull the trigger on a mac mini for scope box and, as I run a Windows based Resolve and have had instances where I need to pull source material from a Thunderbolt only drive. Not to go off topic but It appears the "newer" mac mini with the 1.4 cpu (2014 it appears) isn't that much more than a used 2012...Is there something special about the 2012's?


You can often find refurbished Mac Minis on the Apple Store for a good discount, and they come with the same 1-year warranty as a new machine. That's what I'm using right now. There's nothing special about the 2012s as far as I know, although at some point Apple started soldering in the RAM so the later models (including 2014, not sure about 2012) are totally non-upgradeable. You have to decide how much memory you want up front and buy a machine with those specs...not always available with refurbished, unfortunately.
Resolve 15, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2
Offline
User avatar

Hector Berrebi

  • Posts: 477
  • Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:10 pm

Re: Software Scopes

PostSun Apr 01, 2018 11:37 am

Big fan of Scopebox too.


For a Windows solution, bit more advance/pricey, you can look into 4KScopes by Drastic.
Or Ultrascope by BMD (the pci card) which is dumb but very useful.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor
Offline

infinitebuzz

  • Posts: 8
  • Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:45 pm
  • Real Name: James Brooks

Re: Software Scopes

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 3:21 am

Hector Berrebi wrote:Big fan of Scopebox too.


For a Windows solution, bit more advance/pricey, you can look into 4KScopes by Drastic.
Or Ultrascope by BMD (the pci card) which is dumb but very useful.

There is also a low cost version of 4kScope called sdiScope.com that works with most BlackMagic hardware, including Ultrascope hardware, on windows, linux or macOS/OS-X.

Return to DaVinci Resolve

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Darren Abate, postready, ScottishYorkshireMan and 43 guests