QC report showing "Dark Metadata" in mxf from resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

piyush.bandi

QC report showing "Dark Metadata" in mxf from resolve

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 7:02 am

Hello
I am using DaVinci Resolve Studio from a long time.I exported mxf file by using davinci resolve studio 14, and send it for qc to my client.
Where in qc report mxf file being failed as showing "Dark Metadata".
When I used "Compressor" for encoding the same file, it is OK in qc report.
Verification tool for qc is Baton by Interra System.
Why mxf from DaVinci Resolve showing Dark Metadata and being failed in qc report.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: QC report showing "Dark Metadata" in mxf from resolve

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 2:31 pm

Can you provide details of the dark metadata they object to?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

piyush.bandi

PostMon Apr 02, 2018 8:08 am

Thanks for reply
QC report only giving following statement

MXF Errors
Synopsis: Dark Metadata in the MXF stream does not match the specified criteria: Fatal

Container Errors
Synopsis: Audio and Video PIDs does not match the specified criteria.

Any non-standard metadata in the MXF file will be seen as dark metadata.

Our verification tool defines it as;
MXF metadata consists of labels (keys) and values. Label sets and value units are defined in metadata dictionaries and registries, such as SMPTE RP210 and RP224; unregistered metadata labels are considered dark and potentially problematic.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 2:41 am

Sorry to say that info won’t help. Please reach out to the QC facility and ask for specifics

Seppia

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 6:36 am

Hello

Jumping onboard, I can relate and hopefully share more informations: in January 2017 I've experienced the "Dark metadata" failure to validate an .MXF file OP1A in XDCAM HD 50Mbps exported via DaVinci Resolve 12.5.4.

The broadcasting facility I failed to deliver was also using Baton as Quality Check tool, and my file had three severe errors :
- "Dark metadata" is present
- "Active format" 16:9 [with shoot and protect 4:3 centre]"
- on one frame of the exported file, a "Slice does not end within row boundary. Ignoring MBs out of row ..."
(I had two dropout on the exported file).
Regarding the "Dark metadata", the error reported in their report was :
Dark Metadata is present in the MXF stream.
Specified criteria: Report as Serious if 'Dark Metadata' is Present.
with an EBU code : 0114W.

At that time (back in January 2017) I contacted Blackmagic support (I got the support number #RIM-810-38950), and I provided Blackmagic support the .PDF Baton failure report, as well as the faulty MXF file, for engineering investigation purposes at Blackmagic, but never got a feedback at that time.

Eventually, I ended up exporting my movie as Quicktime Cineform YUV, then converting it in .MXF XDCAM with Adobe Media Encoder, this one passed the Baton test.

Guillaume Bringard,
Technical manager,
Seppia.eu
Guillaume Bringard
Technical director,
Seppia.eu

piyush.bandi

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 8:05 am

[quote="Seppia"]Hello

Jumping onboard, I can relate and hopefully share more informations: in January 2017 I've experienced the "Dark metadata" failure to validate an .MXF file OP1A in XDCAM HD 50Mbps exported via DaVinci Resolve 12.5.4.

The broadcasting facility I failed to deliver was also using Baton as Quality Check tool, and my file had three severe errors :
- "Dark metadata" is present
- "Active format" 16:9 [with shoot and protect 4:3 centre]"
- on one frame of the exported file, a "Slice does not end within row boundary. Ignoring MBs out of row ..."

Hello Guillaume

Thanks for sharing your same experience.
I am also using Compressor for exporting mxf and it is ok in qc report but I want to export it direct from resolve. If I will find any solution I will share with you.
Tanks again.
Last edited by piyush.bandi on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

piyush.bandi

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 8:20 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Sorry to say that info won’t help. Please reach out to the QC facility and ask for specifics

Hello Peter
I am trying to attaching pdf file of qc report which I received but here error comes pdf is not allowed.
I am attaching drp file of my project it is also not allowed, kindly inform which formate we can give you details

Scott Heysen

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 2:56 pm

Looks to me that "dark metadata" is a term used to describe a variable that does not conform to a Standard.
I'm just guessing at this, but with your Resolve export, are you exporting as Video of Full Range colour? Its possible that Compressor is exporting your file and clipping your colour range, whereas Resolve may be exporting a colour range greater than what the QC tool allows. Just an idea. Good luck in getting to the bottom of the error.
iMacPro 10core, 32GB, 2TB, Vega64 - 12.6.5
16" MacBookPro, 10core M1 Max, 64GB, 2TB - 13.4
14" MacBookPro, M2, 10core, 16GB, 512GB - 13.4
Various Pegasus RAIDs

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 3:08 pm

Place the files on Dropbox and provide a link with a space in the path so the forum does not see it as a link
Eg
Http :

piyush.bandi

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 12:43 pm

aleph99

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 5:06 pm

Experienced the same trouble : my direct mxf export from Resolve was also rejected by the same QC software from the Broadcast channel (requested were AMWA AS-10 shim XDCAM 50i (canal) specifications). Some metadata generated by Resolve was not accepted (fields named "Active Format" "Dark Metadata" by Baton software as reported earlier by Seppia) and cannot be accessed or modified in Resolve (to my knowledge).

So it seems we still have to render an intermediate file in Resolve 15 and then use an alternative encoder to pass QC (I used Adobe Media Encoder with the AS-10 preset)... Or has anybody found a solution to that problem (e.g. removing/editing the metadata "by hand") ?

The other solution would be for Blackmagic to provide us with more options in some preset files...

Return to DaVinci Resolve