help for new laptop purchase

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Marco Quaglia Faccio

help for new laptop purchase

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 8:06 am

Hello, i will like to purchase a laptop for editing with Davinci 14. i will mostly edit 1080p. I thought to purchase a Dell NOTEBOOK XPS 15
in your opinion the computer will be enough to work well without having any drop frame when playing back and editing?

Specifications:
Intel CoreTM i7­7700HQ quad­core (6 MB di cache, fino a 3,8 GHz)
Windows 10 (64 bit),

memory DDR4 da 16 GB e 2.400 MHz,

Display FHD (1.920 x 1.080) da 15,6" InfinityEdge,

Disk SSD PCIe 512 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 GDDR5 4 GB

Scheda Killer 1535 Wi-Fi 802.11ac 2x2 e Bluetooth 4.1

thanks
Marco

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Resolve Studio 17 | Fusion Studio 17 | Win 10 Enterprise (64-bit) |
X99-A II | i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz | Memory 32GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 | Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB | CT240BX500SSD1 | WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0

Carsten Sellberg

Re: help for new laptop purchase

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 9:59 am

Hi.

The first questen I will like to ask is, why you want to buy a Notebook and not a much stronger Desktop for the same price?

In Resolve is the CPU used to run the app, disk I/O and compression and decompression of codecs.
Resolve does all its image processing in the GPU on the graphics card. So the numbers of CUDA Cores in the Graphics Card give the speed of the image processing and the GTX 1050 has a low number of CUDA Cores.

To find a Graphics card with more CUDA cores search for GTX 1060 6GB, GTX 1070 or even GXT 1080.

I don't know if you plan to use the Tunderboldt 3 port on the XPS 15. But it is only connected to two PCIe Lanes. This gives only half the transfer speed compared to other Tunderbold 3 implementations in other Notebooks.

As you write 'mostly edit 1080p' do I expect to rest to be 4K/UHD?
4K/UHD have 4 times the pixels of Full HD and require much stronger CPU and a GPU with much more CUDA/OpenCl performance and Video ram.

Intel launched yesterday some new 6 Core 12 Threads Mobile CPUs. If you need to run your Notebook on batteries will I consider one of them for 4K/UHD or else I will recommend a Desktop.

Here is a link with some of the new 6 Core 12 Threads Notebooks:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Here-is-a ... 444.0.html

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Marco Quaglia Faccio

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 12:01 pm

Thanks Carsten for your response. Why a laptop? because i need mobility, often i'm abroad and then i already have e decent Desktop. And about 4k no plans to edit for the next future, i normally edit tutorial or webinars and 1080p is fine
regards marco

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Resolve Studio 17 | Fusion Studio 17 | Win 10 Enterprise (64-bit) |
X99-A II | i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz | Memory 32GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 | Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB | CT240BX500SSD1 | WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 12:28 pm

You should consider a much faster GPU, even for HD.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Sulo Kokki

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 12:43 pm

That's an interesting suggestion, Peter.

Our experience (on desktops) is pretty much the opposite, on HD. A 700 series Geforce (Kepler microarchitecture, with CUDA 3.0 support) has been sufficient on HD with the current version and, apparently, a leap from late 900s to mid-1000s has provided with slim returns in performance in 4K and below.

As said, that's on a desktop. Laptops may be a different story.
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

Carsten Sellberg

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 12:58 pm

Sulo Kokki wrote: Laptops may be a different story.

Hi.

We both know. But for other peoble folowing this thread will I like to point out that
the Graphics Card in Laptops has much weaker setup, than their counterparts in Desktops.

It is to low cooling possibilities and that is will need to be run on batteries, if needed.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Sulo Kokki

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 11:40 am

Carsten Sellberg wrote:We both know. But for other peoble folowing this thread will I like to point out that
the Graphics Card in Laptops has much weaker setup, than their counterparts in Desktops.

It is to low cooling possibilities and that is will need to be run on batteries, if needed.

For sure this is so, but I'm genuinely curious as to what is the GPU threshold for R14's convenient laptop use, in HD and beyond.

Here, for instance, is a laptop config that uses GTX 1050 with 4Gb.
Gary Coombs wrote:After more than 6 months of using this laptop with DaVinci Resolve Studio 14, for what I do, I'm more than pleased. I can edit H.264 natively at 4K UHD resolution quickly and with never a dropped frame.

Add the obvious caveat, which you mentioned; a more powerful GPU requires more power and generates more heat. So a bigger GPU is hardly a win-win situation on a laptop.

The OP was considering a laptop with the 1050, which should be more than sufficient for HD in itself. A lot obviously depends on the overall config, but going higher than that for HD seems like overkill for all I know.
Linux Mint 19.3 | DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1 | 2700x 32gb Radeon VII | macOS Mojave

Carsten Sellberg

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi.

I see the introduction of Intel Mobile 6 core 12 threads CPUs as a Gift to all users of Resolve.
As I see it will it change all previous recommendation for Laptops. But the situation is new for everybody. We will have no personel experience of what will work well. Only time will tell.
I belive in the new Intel Core i7-8750H and in the new Intel Mobile Chipsets with many PCIe Lanes.

To summer is the next generation of nVidea Graphics Card for desktops expected. I have not yet seen any rumors about Mobile versions, but the Desktop versions will be produced on a smaller Process Node which will give eather more performance or smaller electrical consumption and heat. It is a continuous process and I do understand if it will be difficult to find the right moment to write down the GPU requirement for both HD and 4K/UHD. It will soon be obsolete.

The GTX 1050 with 4Gb is what I will call an old configuration. It works for Gary, but not well for others. Gary write he use Resolve 14 Studeo. I expect Gary uses one of the H.264 version supported with hardware Decoding/Encoding and the other don't.

But when I look at prices can't I see any reason to recommended the GTX 1050 4GB today. Other Laptops with GTX 1060 6GB and GTX 1070 with much higher CUDA performance only cost a little more.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Xocomil

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 4:23 pm

I'm also looking for a laptop to use with resolve 14. I'm not a full time editor by any means, but as a video journalist / self shooting producer I need to write and edit up to 4k, and appreciate portability and reliability.

Carsten Sellberg

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 7:37 pm

Hi.

For 4K will I recommend to look for a new laptop with one of the new Intel 6 Cores mobile CPU's together with a GTX 1070 ot even a GTX 1080.

The new Intel mobile CPU's share the the same FCBGA1440 socket as the previous 4 core Intel mobile CPU's. So actually the manufacturers can just swap the CPU and a few others components and sell the previous model of their laptop as a new 6 core model. But they have one problem. The 6 core mobile CPU's produce much more heat. so they must rethink the heat dissipation. And I am sorry to tell you that they don't yet. The manufacturers must in the future learn how to handle the extra heat. Personally I don't think it can be done very well in a very small laptop. You must look at least look into a medium or large sized laptop to get rid of the generated heat.

I also must introduce you to nVideas Max Q design. This is a program where nVidea work together with the manufacturers to lower the generated heat and noise. But the cost is a lower graphics performance. And all the video processing in Resolve is done in the CUDA cores of the graphics card. So you have to choose. Do you want a new laptop with or without the Max Q design.

Here are some of the better reviews, I have seen so far. I don't know any of them. So it is difficult to recommend one of them. But here is some links to look into:

Gigabyte Aero 15X v8 (i7-8750H, GTX 1070 Max-Q, Full-HD) Laptop Review:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Gigabyte- ... 594.0.html

Asus ROG Zephyrus M GM501 (i7-8750H, GTX 1070, Full-HD) Laptop Review:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG- ... 956.0.html

Asus ROG Chimera G703GI (i9 8950HK, GTX 1080, Full HD) Laptop Review:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG- ... 366.0.html

Yes I read it is noisy. It is difficult to cool down a GTX 1080, even the slowed down version sitting in a laptop.

And more new laptops are coming every week.

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Armen Amirkh

PostThu Jun 28, 2018 9:32 pm

Carsten Sellberg wrote:
Yes I read it is noisy. It is difficult to cool down a GTX 1080, even the slowed down version sitting in a laptop.

And more new laptops are coming every week.

Regards Carsten.

Agree, I just became an owner of Aorus X5 v8 (i7-8850 6 cores and desktop 1070) - it plays smoothly RAW from Canon C200 (LUT and raw adjustments, no NR) giving 50fps real-time and reaching 100% of load from CPU and GPU. Very noisy at max fan speed but it works!

Benjamin de Menil

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 3:27 pm

I've been looking at the Asus ROG Zephyrus M GM501 and the MSI GS65 Stealth THIN.

The stealth thin is lighter, thinner bezel, but has the Max Q version of the GTX 1070. How much difference does this make for resolve? If the Zephyrus has only a 10-15% performance advantage, I'm inclined towards the Stealth.

Also, how does the quality and accuracy of their displays stack up?

Carsten Sellberg

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Hi.

First will I link to the 'Laptop Video Graphics Cards - Benchmark List'

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Gr ... 844.0.html

Here you can click to select, the Benchmark you want to compare.

But I also want to tell you that it is expected that 'nVidia will reveal the RTX 2000 mobility lineup at CES 2019'

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-se ... 321.0.html

Regards Carsten.
URSA Mini 4.6K

Return to DaVinci Resolve