Resolve 15 and Win7

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

deanrichard

Resolve 15 and Win7

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Hi,

My primary question is about running v15 under Win7. Can it be done? Some history:

I'm completely new to this forum, and mostly new to Resolve. I was interested to learn the product and downloaded v14 a while back, and installed it. I didn't notice that W10 is required because it installed and appeared to work fine on my Win7 system. I haven't used it for much other than learning it, and have only run it occasionally to get my feet wet.

Yesterday I downloaded v15 beta and installed it over v14. It would not run with the error message in the JPG, and after uninstalling v14 and re-installing v14 the error persists. Is there a way to make my system capable of running v14 again? Some registry item, or run time library? I have an elaborate audio system with hundreds of plugins, and the idea of upgrading my OS simply so I can try out a new piece of software is not going to happen.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Dean
Attachments
Davinci error.JPG
Error upon trying to launch Resolve.
Davinci error.JPG (23.31 KiB) Viewed 29430 times

Jim Simon

Re: Resolve 15 and Win7

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 4:45 pm

Wipe the system and perform a clean install of Windows 10.

It's time.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 4:53 pm

deanrichard wrote:Hi,

My primary question is about running v15 under Win7. Can it be done? Some history:

I'm completely new to this forum, and mostly new to Resolve. I was interested to learn the product and downloaded v14 a while back, and installed it. I didn't notice that W10 is required because it installed and appeared to work fine on my Win7 system. I haven't used it for much other than learning it, and have only run it occasionally to get my feet wet.

Yesterday I downloaded v15 beta and installed it over v14. It would not run with the error message in the JPG, and after uninstalling v14 and re-installing v14 the error persists. Is there a way to make my system capable of running v14 again? Some registry item, or run time library? I have an elaborate audio system with hundreds of plugins, and the idea of upgrading my OS simply so I can try out a new piece of software is not going to happen.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Dean

It is mentioned in the Configuration Guide, Win 7 is not supported.

John Paines

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Some Win7 users apparently started getting this message or a similar one with 14.x. Typically, they (like you) didn't list the machine configurations, which makes assessing it difficult.

If your question is whether R15 is capable of running under Win7, the answer is yes, with the same limitations applicable to 14.x (chiefly, export of h.264 codecs),

Of course, Win7 is not officially supported, as you've already been advised, so don't expect much in the way of support, and obviously at your own risk.

Suhaib Siddiqi

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 5:35 pm

Per Google search there are a few ways try to fix the DeleteCriticalSection entry point not found... error.

When you install software that uses the api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll dependency, the software should automatically register the file for you. In some cases your DLL file may not register properly, and as a result, will provide a "api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll not registered" error. Fortunately, you can use a built-in utility called "Microsoft Register Server" (regsvr32.exe) to re-register your api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll file.

How to re-register api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll from an elevated command prompt (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10):

Click the Start button.
Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
Click Yes.
Type the following command: regsvr32 /u api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll.
Hit ENTER. This will UN-REGISTER your file.
Type the following command: regsvr32 /i api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll.
Hit ENTER. This will RE-REGISTER your file.
Close the command prompt window.
Re-start the program associated with api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll error.

----
Other methods are here:

https://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/miss ... 1-2-0-dll/

If that does not help. Install DR 15 on a machine which has Windows 10 Pro.

deanrichard

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 8:22 pm

No, it definitely is NOT time. I already have an NLE in Sony Vegas, and a system that works perfectly well. Doing a full OS upgrade with all of the re-installing apps and re-authorizing will take several days that I have no desire to spend simply to try out a different product. I only do video once in a while for an occasional music video or promo piece. Audio is my main thing.

I'm disappointed BMD has such a closed system. Most audio and video products still support Win7. Resolve looks like a nice piece of software, and I would enjoy trying it out, even if it meant using an older version. If and when the time comes (it won't be soon) that I upgrade my OS I will definitely give it a shot.

Jim Simon wrote:Wipe the system and perform a clean install of Windows 10.

It's time.

deanrichard

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 8:25 pm

I'm not expecting support. Heck, the product is free. But I thought others in the community might be running under Win7 and might have some tips. It was working fine until I upgraded, now the app won't launch. It looks interesting, and I would like to evaluate it.

I appreciate your response.

John Paines wrote:Some Win7 users apparently started getting this message or a similar one with 14.x. Typically, they (like you) didn't list the machine configurations, which makes assessing it difficult.

If your question is whether R15 is capable of running under Win7, the answer is yes, with the same limitations applicable to 14.x (chiefly, export of h.264 codecs),

Of course, Win7 is not officially supported, as you've already been advised, so don't expect much in the way of support, and obviously at your own risk.

deanrichard

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Thank you so much. I will try this out. That is very informative.

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:Per Google search there are a few ways try to fix the DeleteCriticalSection entry point not found... error.

When you install software that uses the api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll dependency, the software should automatically register the file for you. In some cases your DLL file may not register properly, and as a result, will provide a "api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll not registered" error. Fortunately, you can use a built-in utility called "Microsoft Register Server" (regsvr32.exe) to re-register your api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll file.

How to re-register api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll from an elevated command prompt (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10):

Click the Start button.
Click Yes.

----

If that does not help. Install DR 15 on a machine which has Windows 10 Pro.

Gary Stanford

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 1:18 am

DR 15 successfully installed on my 64 bit Windows 7 Pro (as far as I can tell so far). As my audio hardware is based around Firewire, I am locked into the Windows 7 universe and would be reluctant to move to a newer version of Windows.

If and when BM release affordable Fairlight recording and mixing hardware, I might buy in. In the meantime I'll have to stick with my current audio setup :x
1 x BMPCC4k/2 x BMCCs/Davinci Resolve Studio/Decklink Mini Monitor/HD Link Pro /ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 DDR3 x SATA3/Intel i7 3.4GHz/GTX 980ti 6 GB/32BG RAM/3 SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO SSD/4 x 3 TB WD HDDs/Seagate 1 TB SATA 3 HDD/OCZ 850w PSU/Windows 7 64bit SP1

Bryan Ray

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 1:51 am

I have it running on Win 7 Pro. Dual Xeons and dual Titan X GPUs. I had to turn on the option to only run Fusion on the CPU for stability, but other than that it seems to work fairly well on 7. I'm mostly evaluating the Fusion integration, though, so I haven't dipped my toes into anything other than that and the Edit tab.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Zeno Endres

PostThu May 03, 2018 10:01 pm

Hello Gary & Brian,

can you tell me how old your "api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll" is/are?
Both of my dll's (system32 and SysWOW64) are from 11Nov 2015.
Is this dll the ONLY obstacle for DR15 to run on a Win7 OS?

My System is:
Win 7 Pro 64Bit SP1 16GB RAM (i know, 32GB would be better)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4GB RAM
Intel I7-4790K

I had free version of DR14 installed and it ran with no problems but after buying and installing DR15 studio it doesn't start any more and the error message is like that above --> "The procedure entry point DeleteCriticalSection could not be located in the dynamic link library api-ms-win-core-synch-I1-2-0.dll"

Thanks in advance!
Zeno

Bryan Ray

PostThu May 03, 2018 10:51 pm

Mine both show a Date Modified of 1/25/2018. They're 12 KB in size.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

John Paines

PostThu May 03, 2018 11:46 pm

Zeno Endres wrote:Is this dll the ONLY obstacle for DR15 to run on a Win7 OS?

Unfortunately, nobody knows. In your situation, I'd add another 16GB and see what happens. Of the 3 successful Win7 installations reported here, two have 32GB and the third is unknown but is almost certainly more than 16GB. There's an allocation of ram in the system preferences for Fusion in 15, and with only 16GB to begin with, maybe that's messing with the startup.

Zeno Endres

PostSun May 13, 2018 9:34 pm

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!

How does that dialog box look!?

lx2lx2

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 8:16 am

Hello Resolve Fans,

maybe I have some good news for all Win7 users with the "api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll-DeleteCriticalSection-Problem" :

Try to delete or rename the file "OpenCl.dll" in the folder where you installed Resolve. (This file resides in the Folder where the Resolve.exe is, and comes with the intallation of DR15). With doing so, the Resolve.exe will fall back to the OpenCl.dll that is installed on your System. (e.g. here: "C:\Windows\System32")

I used Dependency Walker on the Resolve.exe to find out which part of the Programm is using the Function DeleteCriticalSecion in the api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll. In my case it was the OpenCl.dll . So maybe this file was not ment to come with the installation Package of RS15 ( I don't know if it was already there in RS14)

Kind Regards,
Alex

@deanrichard: By the way, have you tried installing RS14 into another location, maybe than it will also run again.

BobStar

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 6:38 am

lx2lx2 wrote:Hello Resolve Fans,

maybe I have some good news for all Win7 users with the "api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll-DeleteCriticalSection-Problem" :

Try to delete or rename the file "OpenCl.dll" in the folder where you installed Resolve. (This file resides in the Folder where the Resolve.exe is, and comes with the intallation of DR15). With doing so, the Resolve.exe will fall back to the OpenCl.dll that is installed on your System. (e.g. here: "C:\Windows\System32")

Thanks a lot, man! It works)

Although, it's unclear to me, where do required versions of api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll actually come from. I've installed all the VC Redist up to 2017 and that file left unchanged. If you look at Win10 (Home) system folder, clean install - there are no such files at all. If they are not part of OS and not part of MS VS, what are they then?

Yuris72

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 4:00 pm

lx2lx2 wrote:Hello Resolve Fans,

Thank you very much! Working!

vanderloo1

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 8:53 pm

Worked for me. Very much appreciated. "it's alive"

ArtemB

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 2:36 pm

I have installed DaVinci Resolve 15.2.3 on my Windows 7 SP1 x64 with CUDA 1080ti. It's working. BUT..
In old projects I can edit Fusion clilps, but I have an issue with creating new clips ewen in the new clear projects.

In the Fusion tab the views above just didn't show anything ((
(I have a screencast of the issue here youtube.com/watch?v=TbZLHz-5Qg0 )

I would be very happy to find the solution!
DaVinci Resolve 17
Windows 10
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Greg_E

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 6:49 pm

Not directly related, but something that deserves comment... I've done an "in place upgrade" from Win7 pro/enterprise to win 10 pro/enterprise several times, and each time all the applications remained and functioned.

I did several Server 2008R2 to Server 2012R2 to server 2016 in place upgrades (that's the official path to get from where I started to where I finished). There were minimal issues with this process and were rectified easily.

Not saying it is the best path for those of you still on Win7, and not saying that you should upgrade, but if you do, the in place method may just work for you and be a simple upgrade.

Also note the pro/enterprise in the above... I have no idea if the Home level products will do this as easily.

TadRenfro

Re: Resolve 15 and Windows 7

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Yes! Works!!
But, removing "OpenCL.dll", then restarting Resolve was not enough for me...

I had to:
Drag a copy of "OpenCL64.ddl" from the System32 folder...
(my specific path:
"C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispwi.inf_amd64_neutral_fae22e862df6697d")

...into the Resolve folder. Then, edit the file name (remove "64" to become "OpenCL.dll").
With this, Resolve started up with no issues.

Davinci Resolve 15.3.1.003
Windows 7, Service Pack 1.
Dell Precision T7810 Intel Xeon CPU 3.10 GHz (2 processors) 64GB

Thanks Forum!!
-Tad

[quote="BobStar"][quote="lx2lx2"]Hello Resolve Fans,

Try to delete or rename the file "OpenCl.dll" in the folder where you installed Resolve.

Charles Bennett

PostMon Oct 21, 2019 8:46 pm

This from Dwaine posted in October last year.
Attachments
Win7.JPG
Win7.JPG (52.39 KiB) Viewed 11144 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

MichaelTeoh

PostSun Oct 11, 2020 9:44 am

Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:
Click the Start button.
Click Yes.

'1-2-0.dll' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

MichaelTeoh

PostSun Oct 11, 2020 9:46 am

lx2lx2 wrote:Try to delete or rename the file "OpenCl.dll" in the folder where you installed Resolve. (This file resides in the Folder where the Resolve.exe is, and comes with the intallation of DR15). With doing so, the Resolve.exe will fall back to the OpenCl.dll that is installed on your System. (e.g. here: "C:\Windows\System32")

Couldn't find "OpenCl.dll" in the installation directory.

Return to DaVinci Resolve