Can the Fusion nodes bypass color grades?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

DavidSwinehart

Can the Fusion nodes bypass color grades?

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm

In reading the "new features guide" from the support page, it states that the fusion effects are passed through the same color grades as the clips to which they are attached.

The guide states:
"...image data from the Fusion page node tree flows into the Color page."

Is it possible to exclude the Fusion node tree from the Color adjustments of the underlying clip? My situation is that I use Fusion to create custom text and title animations that must adhere to a specific color palette, and I don't want the color grades of an underlying clip to alter the Fusion elements on top.

Can I print the color grades to the clips in the Edit page prior to adding the Fusion elements? Or is there a way to bypass the Fusion elements when grading?
David
OakParkStudios, Inc
Kansas City, MO
Ursa Mini 4K, BMPC 4K, DaVinci Resolve 15, Dell XPS 15 9570 Core i7 (8th gen), 16GB, NVIDIA 1050, Dell XPS Tower, Core i7-8200 3.2GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA 1070

Jonathan Happ

Re: Can the Fusion nodes bypass color grades?

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 2:55 pm

Same problem here. Any solution?
Mac OS 10.13.6
Mac Pro Late 2013
32 GB RAM
3,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5

Miltos Pilalitos

Re: Can the Fusion nodes bypass color grades?

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 5:41 pm

In Fusion, replace the background footage with an 'empty' (RGBA=0,0,0,0) background so that the only thing that will be output will be the titles.

In Edit, duplicate that Fusion Clip and place it in a video track above the clip that you want your title to appear. That way you can color grade the original clip without affecting the titles.
Windows 10 x64 • Threadripper 1950x • 64GB RAM
1080Ti 11GB • Latest Nvidia drivers
Fusioneer since Fu4.0
Resolver since v9

Return to DaVinci Resolve