Can the Fusion nodes bypass color grades?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

DavidSwinehart

Can the Fusion nodes bypass color grades?

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm

In reading the "new features guide" from the support page, it states that the fusion effects are passed through the same color grades as the clips to which they are attached.

The guide states:
"...image data from the Fusion page node tree flows into the Color page."

Is it possible to exclude the Fusion node tree from the Color adjustments of the underlying clip? My situation is that I use Fusion to create custom text and title animations that must adhere to a specific color palette, and I don't want the color grades of an underlying clip to alter the Fusion elements on top.

Can I print the color grades to the clips in the Edit page prior to adding the Fusion elements? Or is there a way to bypass the Fusion elements when grading?
David
OakParkStudios, Inc
Kansas City, MO
Ursa Mini 4K, Sony FS5, Sony A7R-II, BMD Video Assist, ATEM Mini Pro, DaVinci Resolve 16.2, iMac i7, 32GB, Radeon 560x, MacBook Pro i9, 32GB, Radeon 560x

Jonathan Happ

Re: Can the Fusion nodes bypass color grades?

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 2:55 pm

Same problem here. Any solution?
Mac OS 10.13.6
Mac Pro Late 2013
32 GB RAM
3,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5

Win10
Supermicro Workstation
2x Intel Xeon 2,1GHz 12C
96GB RAM
512GB SSD System
1TB SSD Cache
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti(2x)
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Internal Raid 8x 4TB SATA

Miltos Pilalitos

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 5:41 pm

In Fusion, replace the background footage with an 'empty' (RGBA=0,0,0,0) background so that the only thing that will be output will be the titles.

In Edit, duplicate that Fusion Clip and place it in a video track above the clip that you want your title to appear. That way you can color grade the original clip without affecting the titles.
Windows 10 x64 • Threadripper 1950x • 64GB RAM • RTX 4090 24GB • Latest Nvidia drivers
Fusioneer since Fu4.0 • Resolver since v9

InterrobangMP

PostFri Sep 20, 2019 12:36 am

Miltos Pilalitos wrote:In Fusion, replace the background footage with an 'empty' (RGBA=0,0,0,0) background so that the only thing that will be output will be the titles.

In Edit, duplicate that Fusion Clip and place it in a video track above the clip that you want your title to appear. That way you can color grade the original clip without affecting the titles.

That seems like a work around rather than best practice. Is this what everyone does? Because surely everyone is having to do this on a daily basis right? I seems like a really roundabout way of doing things. How is there not just a button/function that separates the grade from the fusion effects?
2021 Macbook Pro M1Max
10-core CPU, 32-core GPU and 16-core Neural Engine
64GB RAM
Resolve 18

InterrobangMP

PostSat Sep 28, 2019 10:25 pm

So for anyone still interested in this post.
I think I have found the best practive way that this is done.
When you first create your fusion composition, you start from the edit page, right click the clip that is to have the graphic/title over the top of it, and "create a fusion clip". Now when you go to the colour tab, if you are just in your full timeline, the colour grade will be over the whole comp (Fusion clip). So your Fusion titles are essentially baked in. BUT! if you right click on that fusion clip from within the edit tab and select "open in timeline" you can then access the underlying clip, head over to the colour tab and grade that clip individually.

PROBLEM (any one out there got a solution to this?)
The clip you now have in the colour panel is now devoid of any timeline wide nodes. So if you are rocking an over all adjustment like I sometimes do, you cannot see the effect of that grade in conjunction with what ever changes you'd like to make to this individual clip. Which is a pain in the ass, beacuse if you noticed, for instace, that the clips indiuvidual grade, plus the timeline wide grade meant that the clips highlights needed toning down, you have open that fusion clip's timeline, pop over to the clour panel, adjust the highlights, pop back to the edit tab, and then swap over to the over all timeline and then back to colour panel to see what effect that adjustment just made. It would be ideal if there was a way to see adjustments in real time. I feel like I've gone back in time to when I had a much slower computer running speedgrade and I had to wait about 5 seconds for changes to occur in the viewer!
2021 Macbook Pro M1Max
10-core CPU, 32-core GPU and 16-core Neural Engine
64GB RAM
Resolve 18

albertcz

PostFri May 06, 2022 8:33 am

In Fusion, replace the background footage with an 'empty' (RGBA=0,0,0,0) background so that the only thing that will be output will be the titles.

I can confirm that this is indeed the best practice at the moment.

When designing the titles or overlays, you create (duplicate) a separate clip in the new track (V2), attach the MediaIn node with the footage for reference (so you can see what exactly you are designing), but at the end you need to attach background generator with alpha as the input.

That will ensure you are coloring only your original track in Color tab.

Sounds like a workable standard.

xunile

PostFri May 06, 2022 5:04 pm

You can also just use an Adjustment Clip for the Titles, then there is no need for swapping of MediaIn and a Background node.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.5| Fusion Studio 18.6.5

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Return to DaVinci Resolve