Shared Bin Structure

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael McCaffrey

Shared Bin Structure

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 6:21 pm

Sharing projects across a network in PostgreSQL is great, but I see one thing that would really really help that could be implemented, and that -- would be a shared bin structure. I am working on a documentary series that is four feature length films. Utilizing lots of the same footage, B-Roll, interview clips, voice overs, 3D animations, etc etc etc. Each film is its own project. (Having all the sequences in one Resolve project slowed it down so much I got a beach ball for 15-20 seconds every time I clicked on something) So now, each film has its own Resolve project. The problem now, is that in every single project, the bins are different. Some projects have new footage, some dont, some projects have some B-roll that's not imported in the others, etc etc. You can imagine the impossibility of keeping things consistent with a workflow like this. In leu Resolve not being able to handle four feature length sequences in one Resolve project, it would be great if there was a common bin and folder structure that could be shared across multiple projects -- thus keeping things consistent and all new footage and bins available to all collaborators at all times, much like AVID works when bins or their contents are changed and updated automatically on other workstations working on the same project.
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Shared Bin Structure

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 1:12 am

You can make a common bin structure in v15, and if you have shared storage, +50 users can be on the same clips, bins, etc. Resolve have supported san based storage since the beginning and PostGres database and collaboration mode lets you share the same timeline.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Michael McCaffrey

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 6:39 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:You can make a common bin structure in v15, and if you have shared storage, +50 users can be on the same clips, bins, etc. Resolve have supported san based storage since the beginning and PostGres database and collaboration mode lets you share the same timeline.

Thanks Peter. That's great! Didnt know about the power bins. In my old project in version 14 I had thousands of clips, red media, ProRes files, still images, 3D animations, etc etc and it seemed to work fine at first but eventually slowed down Resolve to the point where every time I click on anything I'd get a spinning beach ball for 10 seconds+. This was a project for 4 feature length docs. All the media in one project, different sequences for each film. If I import all that media into the power bins, should I expect any slow down or performance hits in Resolve? v14 didnt seem to be able to handle all that media.
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

Willian Aleman

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 3:37 am

To simplify the workflow, the method used in feature films is to have one timeline per roll or sequence. Work in each one separately, as the old film era.
When done with each one, put them together in a master timeline. Render the entire timeline.
And yes, Power Bins, Power Grades and Remote Grade are great to share media of all kinds and grades between projects.
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
MacOS: 10.15.7 (19H2)
processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve