Ripple Editing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ireground

Ripple Editing

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Hi everybody.
Like many, I'm trying to get away from Adobe. I'm fed up with having to pay for a suite of 10+ apps when I use only 2, so I've started playing around with Resolve and I absolutely love it. I can do most things I was able to do in Premiere or Vegas, but after searching everywhere, there's a few things I still
haven't found out how to do (or if they can be done):

1- Can you modifiy keyframed FX parameters on a timeline like in PPro? I know you can add the
keyframes in the Inspector but it's very difficult to modify them after.

2- Is there a Ripple Editing mode when if I move a clip forward all clips to the right move with it?
With the Trim Tool, if I move the edge of a clip, other clips follow, but if I just grab a clip
normally (by the middle let's say) and try to move it to the right, nothing happens. I could work around this by inserting a dummy image and stretching the right edge, but is there another way to do it that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

julian_b

Re: Ripple Editing

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 1:24 am

1. On each clip in the timelin there is a keyframe icon and a spline icon.
The keyframe icon will give you all keyframes on that click and you can move them around.
The spline icon will present to you the spline editor.

2. I haven't found anything in the menus.
Have a look at the Resolve manual.

John Paines

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 1:29 am

For 2), turn off Trim mode and select all clips going forward (alt-y), then drag. All highlighted clips will move in tandem.

Ireground

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 2:06 am

Julian Böhme wrote:1. On each clip in the timelin there is a keyframe icon and a spline icon.
The keyframe icon will give you all keyframes on that click and you can move them around.
The spline icon will present to you the spline editor.

2. I haven't found anything in the menus.
Have a look at the Resolve manual.

Hey Julian.
1- I know about the keyframe icon on the clip, but it only shows keyframes for transformations, like scale, pan and so on. It doesn't show any keyframes for OpenFX. Unless that's a limitation of the free version. I haven't bought Studio, I'm still trying it.

2- I've read the manual on that, and the only thing they talk about is the Trim Tool, but it doesn't ripple clips unless you stretch the edge of an existing clip.

Thanks

Ireground

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 2:07 am

@ John, thanks, I'll try that.

Ireground

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 12:57 am

Alt+Y doesn't work for me. It jumps two or three clips and selects the clips after that. In the Keyboard shortcuts in Preferences, it says that Y selects all clips forward on the same track, and Alt+Y selects all clips forward in all tracks. But I get the same behavior with both Y and Alt+Y. Maybe it's because I'om on the latest v15 beta.

Ireground

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 1:01 am

Tried with another test project, and it worked but it also selects all clips backward. Also, in Keyboard mapping, it says that Ctrl+Y selects all clips backward, doesn't work either. It just deselects all clips.

julian_b

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 5:09 pm

Ireground wrote:1- I know about the keyframe icon on the clip, but it only shows keyframes for transformations, like scale, pan and so on. It doesn't show any keyframes for OpenFX. Unless that's a limitation of the free version. I haven't bought Studio, I'm still trying it.

Oh, I didn't know that. That would be a pretty big problem for me in the future.
I'm wondering how they could have missed that. Especially since the color tab has a separate keyframe editor. And adding the OFX in the color tab and editing in the keyframe editor there doesn't work for me. The OFX don't show up there.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 6:22 pm

Ofx keyframes on v15.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

julian_b

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 6:41 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Ofx keyframes on v15.

Keyframes yes, but not an overview of the OFX keyframes in the form of a keyframe editor or spline editor.
That makes it pretty hard to time multiple effects. :?

Ireground

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 9:33 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Ofx keyframes on v15.

So where can I see them on a timeline? Is it only in the paid version?

julian_b

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Okay, so I just reinstalled v14 and checked.
There is a "OpenFX" row for keyframes in the Keyframe Editor of the Color Page.

Problem 1:
This one row is used for all keyframed attributes of that one node.
There is no distinction between the different attributes that are keyframed.
You can't tell which keyframe belongs to which attribute.
To be honest: Had I known that Resolve is still missing basic stuff like a proper keyframe editor, I would have preferred that they added these basic features instead of adding Fusion (which is still far from done!).
I can use Resolve without the Fusion page. But I will not use Resolve with an almost non-existent keyframe editor for effects.

Problem 2:
That "Open FX" row is not present in V15. Bug? :shock:
Last edited by julian_b on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ireground

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 10:48 pm

Julian Böhme wrote:I can use Resolve without the Fusion page. But I will not use Resolve with an almost non-existent keyframe editor for effects.

Same here. That's basic functionality. Fusion integration is definitely cool, but I have no problem rendering from Fusion and importing in Resolve.
Julian, have you tried if the shortcuts Y and Alt+Y work in 14?
I'm testing 15, but I'm so new to it that I can't figure out yet if something is a bug or user error.

julian_b

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 12:27 am

Ireground wrote:
Julian Böhme wrote:I can use Resolve without the Fusion page. But I will not use Resolve with an almost non-existent keyframe editor for effects.

Same here. That's basic functionality. Fusion integration is definitely cool, but I have no problem rendering from Fusion and importing in Resolve.
Julian, have you tried if the shortcuts Y and Alt+Y work in 14?
I'm testing 15, but I'm so new to it that I can't figure out yet if something is a bug or user error.

In V14:
Ctrl + Y selects all clips upstream (past).
Alt + Y selects all clips downstream (future).
Y does the same thing as Alt + Y (downstream).

You said, it jumped 2 or 3 clips and selected the clips after that.
It selects the clips starting at the position of the ruler.
It does not start with the clip you have currently selected.
Maybe that's why it didn't work for you?

You can delete a gap in the timeline by clicking on it (highlighted) and hitting the "delete" key.
Different tracks will ripple up the timeline, depending on your "Auto Select" settings for these tracks.

Ireground

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 5:51 am

Julian Böhme wrote:You said, it jumped 2 or 3 clips and selected the clips after that.
It selects the clips starting at the position of the ruler.
It does not start with the clip you have currently selected.
Maybe that's why it didn't work for you?

That's probably what didn't work for me yes. I was expecting it to select the clips after the currently selected clip. Cool. Thanks.

Ireground

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 5:54 am

Yup. That was exactly it. Just tried it. Thanks again.

Ireground

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 5:58 am

I really want for this app to work for me. Looks like a fantastic app. If the integration with Fusion works well, it'll be even better than Adobe's Dynamic Link. I'm tired of CC. Still have 6 months in my current subscription, will be learning this and Fusion until then.

jovical

PostWed May 22, 2019 11:17 pm

Hey Ireground possibly may have figured this out but it you hit "W" or "T" you turn on Dynamic Trim Mode or Trim Mode which turns on the Ripple Trim tool that we are familiar with in premiere. Both modes seem to turn on this feature... Whatever the difference between the keys is yet to be determined but so far this works.

I am working on project now in DaVinci Resolve and having many issues with understanding keyboard shortcuts and UI layout.

Frank Engel

PostFri May 24, 2019 2:26 pm

Julian Böhme wrote:This one row is used for all keyframed attributes of that one node.

This seems to be a limitation of the color page. I believe if you add the plugin as a node on the Fusion page instead you should be able to access the individual keyframes from there.

Gene Cornelius

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 3:55 am

I'm here because I have some pre-conceived notions of what "Ripple edit" means, and I'll likely stuff my hoof in it before I'm done, but to blazes with it, here goes:

While I am aware of Trim Edit mode (T) and Dynamic Trim Mode (W) and just barely using them (but they look useful in certain situations), and also aware of how to delete a space between clips selecting and Delete, as well as Y, (Alt+Y) and (Ctrl+Y) to select clips upstream and down, I have not yet found an EFFICIENT way of doing this simple thing:

CUT a clip (trimmed or not) from a location in the timeline and PASTE that clip (including the in/out points if applicable) at the location of the cursor, and having all clips in future (downstream) move out of the way.

I am used to ProTools and Vegas Pro for this kind of functionality. Let's keep it specific to Vegas, as it's video-oriented. I no longer use Vegas as it's only gone downhill since Magix, and it never could process or play smoothly like Resolve, etc. But it DID have a few very cool functions that made it super duper to edit with.

In Vegas, one can toggle Ripple on/off with an easy shortcut, and a mouseclick on a dropdown somewhere selects the type of Ripple: It could be ALL tracks, only the track one is working on (which is dangerous especially if one has a careless habit of unlinking audio and video clips, etc. ) and one other option I can't remember as it's been too long.

At any rate, I loved the way they had it set up, and found it very useful. I keep running into the same situations when editing with Resolve, but get annoyed that I have to do it with so many steps, especially when I'm doing edits that are not sequence-specific, and being able to quickly plop clips here and there is key to the way I work.

Thanks for any input .. especially from current or ex-Vegas users who know what I'm talking about.

Misha Aranyshev

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 6:49 am

Gene Cornelius wrote:CUT a clip (trimmed or not) from a location in the timeline and PASTE that clip (including the in/out points if applicable) at the location of the cursor, and having all clips in future (downstream) move out of the way.

Ripple Cut - Paste Insert. They are in the Edit menu. Command-Shift-X - Command-Shift-V if you are on a Mac.

Gene Cornelius

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 5:07 am

Thought I posted this last night, but, no worries.

OK - don't laugh.

It's easier for me if I turn OFF "ClipClip" which is a utility that caches saved clipboard contents. (Otherwise Ctrl/Cmd+shift C/X works but Ctrl/Cmd_V does not work in Resolve as Clipclip overrules it)

However, I think I was sloppy in expressing the way this works (and the importance of it being able to be specified to track).

Ctrl/Cmd+V does work to ripple insert, BUT! ... does not seem to allow to exclude audio tracks. This is OK, if we are using only diegetic audio recorded specific to each clip, but does NOT work if there is one or more, say, music tracks or VO tracks, etc. unless one locks the audio track which, of course, is acceptable as workaround, but not as convenient as what I'm asking for.

I can of course, get by, but I might make a humble request that someone looks at the way Vegas works in this regard to see if any added functionality might be worth implementing in Resolve.

Misha Aranyshev

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 6:03 am

Check your Auto-select settings on each track.

historickitchen

Re: Ripple Editing, &c. Solution

PostThu Dec 30, 2021 8:35 am

Click on the "Workspace" tab (top, to the left of Help tab), and hover over "Switch to Page >" (first in column). While hovering a drop down menu appears. I selected the "Edit" Workspace and it worked!

Workspace > Switch to Page > Edit

Now when I right click on the media in timeline I see Ripple Delete, Link/Unlink Clips, etc.

Return to DaVinci Resolve