Cannot import uncompressed AVI from VirtualDub into Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Joey Stephenson

Cannot import uncompressed AVI from VirtualDub into Resolve

PostThu Apr 18, 2013 1:58 pm

I took a Canon H.264 .MOV file, used the EyeFrame converter to convert to ProRes444, then imported that into VirtualDub. I used the Neat Video noise reduction filter, then exported as uncompressed AVI.

I was unable to import this into Resolve Lite, it did not show up in the browser as a selectable file. Can you really not import these types of files? Could it be the format that EyeFrame used to convert it?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Cannot import uncompressed AVI from VirtualDub into Reso

PostThu Apr 18, 2013 11:38 pm

Resolve V9 does not have AVI support. AVI support is one of the new V10 features. Coming in Q3.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Joey Stephenson

PostThu Apr 18, 2013 11:54 pm

Ahh... thanks for the heads up.

Jerry Hatfield

PostWed Apr 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Is this going to be uncompressed avi only, or variations on a theme?

Noel Sterrett

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 2:22 am

Resolve 10 does not recognize AVI files (even the AVI files Resolve 10 creates) on two of my three computers.

All three computers have this in the list of Windows Media Player codecs:

"Blackmagic Design Decoder (DMO) v210, v210, UYVY, YUY2, HDYC, 2Vuy, 2vuy, ~ë6ä, Àš<w, r210"

But one computer (Windows 7) has an additional four Blackmagic codecs listed that the two others (Windows 7 and Windows 8.1) do not:

"Blackmagic 10 bit 4:2:2 Codec"
"Blackmagic 10 bit 4:4:4 Codec"
"Blackmagic SD 8 bit 4:2:2 Codec"
"Blackmagic 8 bit MJPEG Codec"

Blackmagic AVI's are recognized in Resolve on that computer, and the files also play with Windows Media Player, but the others do not. All can render AVI's that Premiere recognizes.

I don't know where the other four codecs came from, or if that's the problem. Anyone know?

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi Noel,

Do all your systems show the same Deliver page AVI CODEC options? Or does the working system show different AVI selections available?

The 2 Windows systems I have available have the 4 BMD CODECs you list installed. I don't know if Resolve installed those, or if Desktop Video installed those. On your 2 systems without those CODECS, is a current version of Desktop Video installed?
Dwaine Maggart

Noel Sterrett

PostMon Dec 23, 2013 7:54 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Hi Noel,

Do all your systems show the same Deliver page AVI CODEC options? Or does the working system show different AVI selections available?

They are all identical.

The 2 Windows systems I have available have the 4 BMD CODECs you list installed. I don't know if Resolve installed those, or if Desktop Video installed those. On your 2 systems without those CODECS, is a current version of Desktop Video installed?

Yes, all machines have the same version of Desktop Video installed as well as Resolve, and I have tried several versions without any luck.

All three list this file in the registry as "Blackmagic Design Decoder (DMO)": dmobmd.dll

That's the file which shows up as a single line with multiple codecs in Windows Media Player info.

And all also list these four drivers in the registry:

BMDCodecLib.dll
BMDCodecLib64.dll
BMDCodecMJPG.dll
BMDCodecMJPG64.dll

The difference is that on the good machine you get 8.3 versions of the file locations:

"VIDC.UYVY"="C:\\PROGRA~2\\BLACKM~1\\BLACKM~1\\BMDCOD~2.DLL"
"vidc.mjpg"="C:\\PROGRA~2\\BLACKM~1\\BLACKM~1\\BMDCOD~4.DLL"
"vidc.hdyc"="C:\\PROGRA~2\\BLACKM~1\\BLACKM~1\\BMDCOD~2.DLL"
"vidc.v210"="C:\\PROGRA~2\\BLACKM~1\\BLACKM~1\\BMDCOD~2.DLL"
"vidc.r210"="C:\\PROGRA~2\\BLACKM~1\\BLACKM~1\\BMDCOD~2.DLL"

On the two others, the paths to the files are the same, but are long form (full names) except "PROGRA~2".

I think there's no doubt that the codecs were installed by some version of some BMD installer. I just don't know which.

I've tried using the registry to figure this out, but there are just too many BMD entries.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 31, 2013 4:03 am

Hi Noel,

Is it possible that the AVI file you rendered with Resolve, was a Cineform file? Because if so, it appears you would need the GoPro Cineform Studio software installed on a Windows system to see the file.

One theory is that perhaps you have Cineform Studio on the system that sees the file, and not on the other systems.

If you rendered one of the 3 other AVI file types that are NOT Cineform, then something else is going on.

Can you let us know, and if it was a Cineform AVI file you rendered, could you try one of the other types, and see if those work on your other systems?
Dwaine Maggart

Noel Sterrett

PostThu Jan 02, 2014 3:46 pm

Never used cineform.

It's just that Quicktime is awful on Windows, and I have important files captured with Media Express in AVI.

Is there a separate install for the codecs? That might sort it out.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures

Return to DaVinci Resolve