flicker, tool should not look at "tails"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

flicker, tool should not look at "tails"

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 10:59 pm

Wr need the de- flicker when we are doing restoration, if you scan a final piece, you will use the cut detect to cut the piece therefore the "tail" is the previous/ next cut.

That make both the temporal Denise and the deflicker really unusable because the the tool will look beyond first and last frame: basically looking at "tails" that are completely different shots.

So, there should be a checkbox to tell the temporal tools to limit the action to "visible frames" or "use the tail" (normal behaviours).
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: flicker, tool should not look at "tails"

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 11:44 pm

It's poor design. Any decent or even semi decent restoration tool should detect cut (perform actual cut detection on the fly) and don't take "wrong" info into account. This is quite fundamental feature for temporal based filters.
Resolve has cut detection option, so this should be built-in into all filters which do need to be aware of scene changes. You should not need to have scenes to be already pre-cut.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 3:45 am

I'm ok with cutting, just tell the tool to work with visible cranes only
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Sam Steti

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 8:41 am

Yep Walter, I agree... I had the same issue with the denoiser; I also remember I had this issue with old Apple stabilizer which was not able to restrict its search area to the cut clip, it looks the same here, unfortunately...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 1:58 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:Wr need the de- flicker when we are doing restoration, if you scan a final piece, you will use the cut detect to cut the piece therefore the "tail" is the previous/ next cut.

That make both the temporal Denise and the deflicker really unusable because the the tool will look beyond first and last frame: basically looking at "tails" that are completely different shots.

So, there should be a checkbox to tell the temporal tools to limit the action to "visible frames" or "use the tail" (normal behaviours).

Are you using the pre-conform workflow? In that mode, we don’t use the handles. Else if it’s from the same media pool clip, we use the handles.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Johan Fleetwood

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 12:17 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:...That make both the temporal Denise and the deflicker really unusable because the the tool will look beyond first and last frame: basically looking at "tails" that are completely different shots.
Rohit Gupta wrote:Are you using the pre-conform workflow? In that mode, we don’t use the handles. Else if it’s from the same media pool clip, we use the handles.

That doesn't make sense to me.

When there's a cut, either from an edl, scene cut detection or added manually - the method shouldn't matter.

Motion blur, temporal denoise etc are as Walter points out often pretty useless if we can't choose to use handles or not, so please make this an option checkbox.
Johan Fleetwood
Colorist | Editor | Post Production Consultant
- Win10pro, RTX 2080, Decklink, Mini Panel, Speed Editor, Ample RAM & SSD storage -

Return to DaVinci Resolve