Crop, zoom and pan an image

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Arkadian

Crop, zoom and pan an image

PostSun Apr 22, 2018 5:18 pm

I am sure this is a very stupid question, but all the tutorials I find are for more advanced stuff...

All I want to do is the following:
1) load a still image and turn it into a clip. No problems there.
2) Zoom in the picture and pan it, so that you see only a portion of it in the shot
3) Add some writings to the image.

I just cannot do No. 2. I SEEM to do it, but when I render and then export the video all I see is a small image in its entirety, not the cropped, zoomed, panned version. How do I say "accept changes" so that DV14 remembers it?
iMac9,1
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:2.66 GHz
Number of Processors:1
Total Number of Cores:2
Memory:8 GB
Bus Speed:1.07 GHz

Chipset:NVIDIA GeForce 9400
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total):256 MB

System: OS X 10.11.6 (15G20015)
Kernel: Darwin 15.6.0

Hector Berrebi

Re: Crop, zoom and pan an image

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 5:56 am

Arkadian wrote:I just cannot do No. 2. I SEEM to do it, but when I render and then export the video all I see is a small image in its entirety, not the cropped, zoomed, panned version. How do I say "accept changes" so that DV14 remembers it?

Where are you trying to perform step 2? In the Inspector? on a node?
How is you Scaling set for these images? (should be Crop)
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Lance Braud

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 11:44 pm

I'm sure you've figured it out by now, but it sounds like you are manipulating the view instead of the attributes of the clip.

Make sure your clip is selected in the timeline and the playhead intersects it. Open the Attributes panel. Manipulate the Zoom and Position tools under the Transform heading.

If you want the Ken Burns effect, turn on the Dynamic Zoom further below the Transform panel *and* in the bottom-left corner of the view change the icon to Dynamic Zoom to see the manipulation handles.
Resolve Studio v16.2.3 | Nvidia GTX 1070 | v451.48 | Win10 x64 | AMD TR-1950X 16G RAM

Peter Benson

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 12:20 am

Lance Braud wrote:I'm sure you've figured it out by now, but it sounds like you are manipulating the view instead of the attributes of the clip.

Make sure your clip is selected in the timeline and the playhead intersects it. Open the Attributes panel. Manipulate the Zoom and Position tools under the Transform heading.

If you want the Ken Burns effect, turn on the Dynamic Zoom further below the Transform panel *and* in the bottom-left corner of the view change the icon to Dynamic Zoom to see the manipulation handles.
Lance, your terminology for Resolve features seems a bit unclear. Do tell -- which Page in Resolve, does an "Attributes" panel reside -- did you really mean the "Clip Attributes" panel, accessible in the EDIT Page's Clip Menu (and also by right-clicking in the selected clip)?

Or were you actually describing the Inspector (which does in fact, contain a Transform pane, featuring Zoom and Position controls)?

Also, in your next paragraph, you mention "of the view". I suspect you mean the "Timeline Viewer", correct?

Thank you for clarifications (anybody, do feel free to assist here).

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
Last edited by Peter Benson on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 2:52 am

Inspector, not clip attributes
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Lance Braud

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 9:54 pm

Peter Benson wrote:Lance, your terminology for Resolve features seems a bit unclear. Do tell -- which Page in Resolve, does an "Attributes" panel reside

Thanks for pointing that out Peter - I even capitalized Attributes! The steps I described are all on the Edit tab. Then you'd click the Inspector button in the top right to open the panel. The view is the Timeline Viewer where the current video frame is displayed. Just below it on the left will be a drop-down list that'll show you the Dynamic Zoom handles.
Resolve Studio v16.2.3 | Nvidia GTX 1070 | v451.48 | Win10 x64 | AMD TR-1950X 16G RAM

Peter Benson

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 1:40 am

Lance Braud wrote:
Peter Benson wrote:Lance, your terminology for Resolve features seems a bit unclear. Do tell -- which Page in Resolve, does an "Attributes" panel reside

Thanks for pointing that out Peter - I even capitalized Attributes! The steps I described are all on the Edit tab. Then you'd click the Inspector button in the top right to open the panel. The view is the Timeline Viewer where the current video frame is displayed. Just below it on the left will be a drop-down list that'll show you the Dynamic Zoom handles.
'Good man, Lance. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Return to DaVinci Resolve