MetaData from Zoom audio overwrites Scene/Shot

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ric Murray

MetaData from Zoom audio overwrites Scene/Shot

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 2:35 pm

I have a full day of shooting I am trying to generate proxies for, shot w 2 system sound. Video from BMUMP4.6K, audio from Zoom F4, synced time code. I bring my media into the pool and the scene/shot/take data from video shows in Resolve. The Zoom audio files have the date showing up in the shot field. When I sync the audio using "Time Code append tracks" the Zoom date overrights the scene-shot data in the combined clips, leaving me with the date in the scene field of the combined clip. How can I remedy this? If I erase the shot files in the Zoom audio tracks will it just over write "blank" in the combined clips? This doesn't seem right.
Creativity is the ability to accept ambiguity.

Ric Murray

Re: MetaData from Zoom audio overwrites Scene/Shot

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 11:48 am

I have figured out some solutions I will share. First, just import the audio "take" folders from the Zoom files into the media pool, the folders will disappear and you will have just the tracks in the pool. "Select all" and go to the inspector panel and delete whatever appears in the Scene & Take field. This will make all the scene and take fields in your audio empty so they will not over write the metadata from the video files. You DO NOT want your DNG files in the pool at this time, as you want to be sure not to erase the scene/take info you recorded with the camera. Next import the BM DNG Raw files into the pool, and "select all", right click and select Sync using timecode, append tracks, and boom! the audio is immediately merged to the video files and synced up. Recorded Scene/Take info from BM UMP will be preserved.

Of course this assumes you properly synced the camera and Zoom audio recorder on set, which we did, resetting after every battery change on the camera. We run the Zoom off a V mount brick battery, so it just runs all day without powering down. It also assumes that you accurately enter Scene/Take info on the camera slate, which is great if you keep after it. Don't abandon the on set slate, as it's a good cross check if you need to correct the metadata. The new bluetooth connection with the iPad app and a 2nd AC to update the meta data on camera is a great addition to a crew.

What I am still having issues with is getting the mono audio tracks to show up as Audio 2 and Audio 3 in the Resolve timeline rather than as stereo paired tracks in Audio 2.
Creativity is the ability to accept ambiguity.

Return to DaVinci Resolve