Auto Update Bin Contents

• Author

vanscurvy

Auto Update Bin Contents

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi,

Is there a way to tie a projects bins to specific directories on your computer so that if files are added or removed, the bin contents will automatically be updated?

We use Davinci with an extensive and dynamic folder tree that mimics the bin trees of our projects and having to manually add/remove bin contents when files are added/removed from the folder tree is redundant and time-consuming.

Thanks,
Tom

Conor Keenan

Re: Auto Update Bin Contents

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 2:49 am

Bump

Daz Wood

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 10:28 am

vanscurvy wrote:Hi,

Is there a way to tie a projects bins to specific directories on your computer so that if files are added or removed, the bin contents will automatically be updated?

We use Davinci with an extensive and dynamic folder tree that mimics the bin trees of our projects and having to manually add/remove bin contents when files are added/removed from the folder tree is redundant and time-consuming.

Thanks,
Tom

That's a great idea I would use this option.
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

danielcortez

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 4:17 pm

This is a good idea. We work on lan with others editors and everytime the motion design updates the files on the server directory we need to import again. BlackMagic its, simples. Just add a "Auto Import Bin" option for each bin folder. Its updates the folder under the bin. Easy.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 6:47 pm

Power Bins maybe?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

DerPaule13

PostTue Mar 03, 2020 8:06 pm

Yes, please!
Is this possible yet?
DR 18.5 B41 | Win10 Pro 64 bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | 64 GB RAM | Nvidia GTX 3090 (24 GB) (SD 512.59) | NAS 1621+ w/ SSDs | NAS 1819+ w/ HDDs (DR PostgreSQL DB) | Network & Internet via 10GbE LAN | Avira Anitvirus

marcusjpotter

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 4:46 pm

I believe this is the feature I've been googling for (as an ex Premiere User)..

1. Updating of an updated asset linked from folder.
e.g. I amend an overlay external graphic file (TIFF), File is replaced/modified on disk (linked folder)
Looking for a way in which the linked disk file is THEN *automatically updated in my timeline* to reflect the changes within the modified file..

Jim Simon

PostSat Sep 26, 2020 1:08 am

Media is read off the disk as it is, so...if the media changes, it shows that.

Cached clips and Optimized Media would make that invisible, though, as you're not reading the original media in those cases.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

DerPaule13

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 1:05 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Media is read off the disk as it is, so...if the media changes, it shows that.

Cached clips and Optimized Media would make that invisible, though, as you're not reading the original media in those cases.

This is true for already imported files (although you would have to manually click "refresh bin").

The feature that is requested by Tom and others is that you don't have to import any files.
You just select the path of the project folder (or maybe just one folder at a time) on your computer/NAS and the folder structure and all files are imported automatically.

What this means is that whenever a file get's added into a folder within the project folder on your computer/NAS, this file automatically get's imported into the same folder in DaVinci, too.

Maybe for technical reasons it would be required to hit "refresh bin" manually, but it still would be very, very helpful.
DR 18.5 B41 | Win10 Pro 64 bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | 64 GB RAM | Nvidia GTX 3090 (24 GB) (SD 512.59) | NAS 1621+ w/ SSDs | NAS 1819+ w/ HDDs (DR PostgreSQL DB) | Network & Internet via 10GbE LAN | Avira Anitvirus

Igor Riđanović

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 4:11 pm

vanscurvy wrote:Hi,

Thanks,
Tom
It's possible to script this. You'd have a script running in the background adding and removing bins and files based on watched OS directories.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

James Moore

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 4:50 pm

I was just starting work in Resolve 17 beta and this idea was the first thing I was hoping to find after hearing in the 'promo' video about Resolve handling ever growing files. Unfortunately that feature is for a file that is being 'recorded' in real time in seems.

A script would work I think but I don't know where to start scripting it.

Some sort of bin that has the feature to automatically import any new file(s) added to the disk directory would be a big plus in my world (I am constantly trying to sort out if my bins have all the newly supplied footage included - i.e. version 15 and 21 of that particular pesky VFX)

I thought it would be in there somewhere...

but I guess not.
Ventura
Mac Studio Utlra
32 gigs Ram

IvanTheEditor

PostWed May 19, 2021 8:38 am

Oh hell yes!!

+100! That would make things so much better.

Let's make this happen, BMD!

NikkiBee

PostFri Jul 02, 2021 10:37 am

YES Bump

spookyberlin

PostWed Jul 14, 2021 7:25 pm

Any way to do this?

CorvusVeis

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 5:29 am

I feel like this would be a mandatory basic feature for many different workflows. I'm surprised there hasn't been a push for this.

For those who find this thread in the future: in another thread on this topic, someone mentioned a third-party app that does this, plus a ton of other useful features, called SuperBins.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests