How do I scroll sideways in the timeline?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tiggerdyret

How do I scroll sideways in the timeline?

PostTue May 01, 2018 8:15 am

I tried scroll with or without all the modifiers (ctrl, shift, alt) and I can't scroll sideways. I've searched the shortcuts menu with no luck. How do I scroll horizontally in the timeline?

Stewart Hemley

Re: How do I scroll sideways in the timeline?

PostTue May 01, 2018 9:09 am

Would have been quicker to read the manual?

Kays Alatrakchi

PostTue May 01, 2018 3:44 pm

Stewart Hemley wrote:Would have been quicker to read the manual?

This forum is becoming full of "manual nazis"

If you don't want to answer your question, please don't.

It might seen counterintuitive, but sometimes the simplest functions are the ones that are the hardest to find in the manual. Here you have 1350 page manual which is incredibly comprehensive but not always particularly clear — I have read most of it and still found myself needing to go search for some forum post or YouTube video to get a better explanation of some of the functions I was interested in.

Ironically, I would bet that most of those who keep telling others to RTFM haven't actually done so themselves!
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

northcreative

PostTue May 01, 2018 5:10 pm

Center click mouse or map center click to pen and drag the timeline.

Charles Bennett

PostTue May 01, 2018 7:23 pm

You can use the JKL keyboard keys, or left click and hold on the play bar and drag it. The more you are zoomed in the greater the precision of control.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Marc Wielage

PostThu May 03, 2018 2:20 am

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:It might seen counterintuitive, but sometimes the simplest functions are the ones that are the hardest to find in the manual. Here you have 1350 page manual which is incredibly comprehensive but not always particularly clear

Although this one is incredibly basic. It's also on page 43 of the manual, so it's covered very early on -- no need to plow through the whole thing. Just a search on the word "scroll" brought it up for me in 2 seconds.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Peter Cave

PostThu May 03, 2018 4:24 am

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:Ironically, I would bet that most of those who keep telling others to RTFM haven't actually done so themselves!

I think that would be a losing bet!

I know RTFM is becoming a popular response from more experienced users these days and some users struggle to overcome their fear of documentation, so resort to the forum a bit too soon.

Maybe we need STFM? Search the....FM.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Sam Steti

PostThu May 03, 2018 8:18 am

Peter Cave wrote:I think that would be a losing bet!
I think what you think about the bet might be a loosing bet too :)

Anyway, more seriously, maybe the best behavior could be to add the begged answer after the RTFM interjection... Because RTFM alone, you know, ... :roll:
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Byron Dickens

PostThu May 03, 2018 5:05 pm

Don't feel bad. Same thing happens in auto repair too. And from alleged professionals no less, not just hobbyists.

"The car you just put a radiator in came back overheating and low on coolant because you didn't fill the system correctly. You are supposed to fill through the upper radiator hose on this particular model JUST LIKE IT TELLS YOU TO DO IN THE MANUAL!"
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

Byron Dickens

PostThu May 03, 2018 5:07 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:
Stewart Hemley wrote:Would have been quicker to read the manual?

This forum is becoming full of "manual nazis"

If you don't want to answer your question, please don't.

It might seen counterintuitive, but sometimes the simplest functions are the ones that are the hardest to find in the manual. Here you have 1350 page manual which is incredibly comprehensive but not always particularly clear — I have read most of it and still found myself needing to go search for some forum post or YouTube video to get a better explanation of some of the functions I was interested in.

Ironically, I would bet that most of those who keep telling others to RTFM haven't actually done so themselves!

But you did try to RTFM first and that's the difference.
DR 14.3 W10 Home. Core i7 3.4 GHz. 16GB RAM. Intel HD graphics 530.

Marc Wielage

PostFri May 04, 2018 6:04 am

Byron Dickens wrote:But you did try to RTFM first and that's the difference.

Well, the o.p. said he had searched the "shortcuts menu," and that's not the manual. (Or TFM.)
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

easycass

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 3:33 am

Hi there folks! What a great discussion you are all having. So, if I may ask something along the lines of this topic (rather than make a new thread) to get some clarification...

So, looking at page 43 of the manual, it gives some clues as to the use of the center mouse wheel/button, but does seem to leave out some details, and makes no mention of the fact that some of the usage is affected by the View menu Enable 2D Timeline Scroll option. So, I did a search of the manual, looking for 2D scroll, 2D timeline, etc. No match... Can anyone can tell me where this option is explained in the manual?

But if not, since I have RTFM and also S(earched)TFM, I would be so happy if someone is willing and happy to pass on some information in a considerate manner :)

So let me first describe what I have found on playing with the Enable 2D Timeline Scroll. On the Edit Page, I find the following: -

1) When this option is enabled, in the timeline I can use a) scroll or SHIFT scroll for vertical track scrolling, b) ALT scroll to horizontally zoom in/out, and c) center-press to drag.
2) When this option is disabled, I can use a) SHIFT scroll for vertical track scrolling, b) ALT scroll to horizontally zoom in/out, c) center-press to drag, and d) scroll to move the timeline left and right.

So, my question is, what exactly is the Enable 2D Timeline Scroll option in the View menu meant to do?
Cass Cassim
Photographer / World Traveller

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cassimages/

Win 10 Pro 64 v 1903-18362.329 - DaVinci Studio v 15.3.1.003
i7-7700HQ 32GB / GTX1070 MaxQ 8GB Nvidia 436.15

Jean Claude

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 8:41 am

easycass wrote:Hi there folks! What a great discussion you are all having. So, if I may ask something along the lines of this topic (rather than make a new thread) to get some clarification...

So, looking at page 43 of the manual, it gives some clues as to the use of the center mouse wheel/button, but does seem to leave out some details, and makes no mention of the fact that some of the usage is affected by the View menu Enable 2D Timeline Scroll option. So, I did a search of the manual, looking for 2D scroll, 2D timeline, etc. No match... Can anyone can tell me where this option is explained in the manual?

But if not, since I have RTFM and also S(earched)TFM, I would be so happy if someone is willing and happy to pass on some information in a considerate manner :)

So let me first describe what I have found on playing with the Enable 2D Timeline Scroll. On the Edit Page, I find the following: -

1) When this option is enabled, in the timeline I can use a) scroll or SHIFT scroll for vertical track scrolling, b) ALT scroll to horizontally zoom in/out, and c) center-press to drag.
2) When this option is disabled, I can use a) SHIFT scroll for vertical track scrolling, b) ALT scroll to horizontally zoom in/out, c) center-press to drag, and d) scroll to move the timeline left and right.

So, my question is, what exactly is the Enable 2D Timeline Scroll option in the View menu meant to do?

Hello,

You have not tested with the CTRL + mouse wheel :)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

easycass

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 9:46 am

Jean Claude wrote:Hello,

Hi again, I should say, forums are remarkable places... I am not quite sure how you think you can know what I tested or what I did not, ;) ... so, yes, tested, and no added functionality as I can see on top of what was described above.
Cass Cassim

Jean Claude

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 10:10 am

easycass wrote:
Jean Claude wrote:Hello,

Hi again, I should say, forums are remarkable places... I am not quite sure how you think you can know what I tested or what I did not, ;) ... so, yes, tested, and no added functionality as I can see on top of what was described above.

Hello

To do a test:
Take a clip and place it on
V6
v5
v4
v3
v2
v1

Place an audio on at least A1
make sure to see A1 at the bottom of the screen
Ensures the tracks are high and NOT all visible

look at the behavior with CTRL and mouse wheel
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

easycass

PostSun Jul 15, 2018 10:36 am

Jean Claude wrote:Hello

To do a test:
Take a clip and place it on
V6
v5
v4
v3
v2
v1

Place an audio on at least A1
make sure to see A1 at the bottom of the screen
Ensures the tracks are high and NOT all visible

look at the behavior with CTRL and mouse wheel

Hi Jaun Claude, I thank you for your suggestion. I set things up exactly as you suggested, with 6 Video tracks up top and 6 Audio tracks beneath. I set things up so I could see 3 of the V tracks and the first A track at the bottom.

I tried all combinations of alt, shift, control and just scroll-wheel again, with and without the View/2D Timeline Scroll enabled, and I just don't seem to get any added functionality using the left or right control key. Plus, I still fail to understand what it is that the View/2D Timeline Scroll is doing, since enabling it just seems to cause a loss of horizontal scroll functionality. If I use the scroll wheel or ctrl-scroll-wheel, the effect is the same as each other, as I described earlier.

I must be missing something ;)

Perhaps you could you cut to the chase and enlighten me as to what behavior I should see? I am very happy to learn new tricks...
Cass Cassim

markpalmos

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 5:02 pm

What a bunch of insufferable self righteous trolls some of you are.

To the jerk who said "wouldn't it be faster to look in the manual than to post here?" IE RTFM, firstly, who says you'd be searching the correct terms, and secondly, why be a dick? Wouldn't it be faster to just answer the question than to be a smart arsed troll? Maybe you're out of work and have too much time to spend making others feel small in a perverse attempt to puff up your ego.

The word "scroll" does not appear in the keyboard customisation panel, so I guess it is not mappable to CTRL-scroll wheel or ALT-Scroll wheel... but you have to press the scroll wheel and drag the timeline.

Mark.

Brad Hurley

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 5:14 pm

Apart from the forum etiquette complaints, it's worth noting that there was another thread on this topic that provides a lot more edification: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=76192
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Ole Kristiansen

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 5:23 pm

Go to View and uncheck Enable 2D Timeline Scroll

Marc Salvatore

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 6:36 pm

"How do I scroll horizontally in the timeline?"

Scroll-in-Resolve.jpg
Scroll-in-Resolve.jpg (195.69 KiB) Viewed 46103 times
ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 / i7-5820K / 64gb ram / NVidea 2070 Super / Windows 10 / Resolve Studio / Speed Editor

samuelser

PostThu Mar 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Ole Kristiansen wrote:Go to View and uncheck Enable 2D Timeline Scroll

you are a champion. thank you so much

Andreas Urra

PostSun Apr 07, 2019 9:16 pm

+1 for hero status ; )
Is it just me or is it counterintuitive to disable timeline scroll in order to be able to scroll?
Win10, 128GB RAM
NVidia RTX 2080Ti
Resolve 16.2.4

mikedkelly

PostSun Apr 07, 2019 11:03 pm

If you find yourself in the market for a new mouse, you should consider one with a horizontal scrolling thumb-wheel. I use the Logitech MX Master 2S, and the thumb wheel scrolls the timeline in Resolve nicely. Before I got an additional controller, I also mapped the additional buttons on the mouse to mark-in, mark-out, and ripple delete. It makes for a very efficient rough cut workflow on the Edit page.

-----------------------
Resolve Studio 18.5 Beta 3
CPU: Intel i9-13950HX
RAM: 32GB
GPU: RTX 4090 16GB
Driver: Nvidia Studio 531.61

Piotr Wozniacki

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 5:56 am

With 2D Timeline scroll enabled, simply scrolling the mouse wheel (w/o any modifiers) will change the height of the active track. Otherwise, it scrolls entire timeline horizontally - so there is some logic to this "enable/disable" toggle (but you must know it first before it makes logical sense :))...

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

xfirf_

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 6:16 pm

Thank you. :D

Jim Simon

PostMon Jul 15, 2019 6:57 pm

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:With 2D Timeline scroll enabled, simply scrolling the mouse wheel (w/o any modifiers) will change the height of the active track. Otherwise, it scrolls entire timeline horizontally

That's not correct. With 2D enabled, the mouse wheel does nothing to track height. It allows vertical scrolling of audio or video sections when you have more tracks than are visible on screen. It does not allow for horizontal scrolling with the wheel by any means, which is why having this checked by default is a design flaw, in my view.

Editor's expect the mouse wheel alone to scroll a timeline horizontally by default.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Peter Cave

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 2:27 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Piotr Wozniacki wrote:With 2D Timeline scroll enabled, simply scrolling the mouse wheel (w/o any modifiers) will change the height of the active track. Otherwise, it scrolls entire timeline horizontally

That's not correct. With 2D enabled, the mouse wheel does nothing to track height. It allows vertical scrolling of audio or video sections when you have more tracks than are visible on screen. It does not allow for horizontal scrolling with the wheel by any means, which is why having this checked by default is a design flaw, in my view.

Editor's expect the mouse wheel alone to scroll a timeline horizontally by default.

Shift - scroll wheel works on my system. 2D Timeline scroll just remaps the modifier keys. 2D off means scrolling without a modifier key.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Jim Simon

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Could be different for mac's, Peter. On Windows, it's just not possible to scroll horizontally using the mouse wheel while 2D is enabled.

Which is why having it enabled by default is...odd. (And frustrating to new users.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Charles Bennett

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 6:17 pm

On Windows with 2D enabled, placing the mouse pointer on the timecode ruler above the timeline, you can scroll using ALT + the mouse wheel. Click left button to place playhead at that point. With the mouse pointer on the timeline ALT + mouse wheel gives you zoom in and out.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Jack Swart

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 10:00 pm

If you are on a Mac with a Magic Mouse 2, swiping left and right scrolls the timeline.
It is also possible, with 3rd party software, to have middle click on that mouse.

If your're on a Mac that is.....
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

Jim Simon

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 12:11 am

Thanks, Charles. Didn't notice that.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Bruce.Williams

PostSat Jan 25, 2020 8:19 pm

Marc Salvatore wrote:"How do I scroll horizontally in the timeline?"

Scroll-in-Resolve.jpg

Kudos to Marc Salvatore, the only guy with the right answer AND some manners. To the rest of you unrefined gentlemen, have a nice life!
Bruce Williams Photography

www.facebook.com/BruceWilliamsPhotography
brucewilliams.zenfolio.com

Win 10 64 bit
ASUS MB: X99A with Intel i7 CPU, 3.3 GHz
32 GB RAM, 2 X 1TB + 2 X 500GB SSD
NVIDIA GTX 1080 with 8GB of RAM - 440.97
DaVinci Resolve 16.1.1

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 7:58 am

All this sounds insanely overcomplicated and unintuitive. The saddest thing to me about resolve's editing is that it started out leveraging FCP7's very mature keyboard bindings... and then went off on its own and, to me, into the weeds.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

chfilm

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 12:57 pm

I use my magic mouse to scroll horizontally just fine, but I'm annoyed by the slow scroll speed - is there any way to make this faster?

Also, is there any way to make the playhead work like in FCP X, so that it constantly follows the cursor and plays back where I am without having to click-drag it around?

Jim Simon

PostSun Jan 26, 2020 2:47 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:FCP7's very mature keyboard bindings

I found at least some of them in the weeds when BMD copied them.

Function keys for Insert and Overwrite?! What nitwit thought that was a good idea?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

maxx233

PostMon May 25, 2020 12:50 am

Because the RTFM Trolls are particularly annoying to me today (not just this forum, this is a wider issue within technical forums in general), I would just like to point out that as far as I can tell - the answer to this question ISN'T EVEN IN THE FKING MANUAL!

Having the luxury of someone happening to know the answer and providing an extremely simple response: "View > uncheck 2D Timeline scrolling", it's easy to now search the manual for that answer. And it's not there. "2D Timeline" has 0 results in 3200 pages. So please people, I understand irritation when people don't attempt searching the manual (I do NOT understand irritation that they haven't READ the manual. For 99.9% of users they will never read 3200 pages for something that is not their primary/exclusive source of income), but if they have at least tried the manual and google - just answer the freaking question so that the next person who googles it has a chance.

SteveVoss

PostWed Jun 10, 2020 8:43 pm

I figured it out! Super simple script.

AutoHotKey.com

Install AutoHotKey, right click desktop > New> AutoHotKey Script
name it whatever you want, right click the file > Edit Script
In TextEdit, copy paste this:

; Shift + Wheel for horizontal scrolling
+WheelDown::WheelRight
+WheelUp::WheelLeft

Save, Quit, then right click and Run Script.

It was driving me crazy, coming from MacOS editing and slowing down my workflow. Hope this helps someone out!

Marc Van Dijck

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 11:50 am

Marc Salvatore wrote:"How do I scroll horizontally in the timeline?"

Scroll-in-Resolve.jpg

Thanks a lot. This is how this forum should work.

Very to the point answer of someone who really knows what he is talking about.

And it works very well, effective and fast and it is exactly as it was meant to be in Davinci Resolve.

To all others who have answered in a way that is offensive to anyone posting this kind of questions: take a lesson out of this answer.

If you can not answer in this way just don't reply to posts because you are displaying your incapabilities on several aspects, of which your lack of knowledge about Resolve is one as well as your restricted EQ.

Marc Salvatore is a real pro in his answer.

Joe Shapiro

PostWed Jan 12, 2022 10:08 pm

Wow going back through this thread is kinda' amazing.
One thing I didn't mention but should have - I edit on a laptop and actually LIKE the touchpad.
The responses contained herein mostly speak of scroll wheels and middle buttons - not something available by default on macs or laptops.

Cheers
Joe
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

SandroSchreiber

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 9:01 am

18.1 seems to have reset the option "enable 2D timeline scroll". With the reorganization of the view menu, the option is no longer in the same place.
The manual still refers to version 18.0, but I have searched it. On page 610 timeline scrolling is mentioned, but it is not described in which menu the option can be found.

Does anyone know where to uncheck 2D timeline scroll now?
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 | Resolve Mini Panel | Win11 22H2
GeForce RTX4090 (551.61 studio driver) | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, Desktop Video 12.8.1

panos_mts

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 10:12 am

SandroSchreiber wrote:Does anyone know where to uncheck 2D timeline scroll now?
Preferences -> User -> UI Settings

SandroSchreiber

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 10:20 am

panos_mts wrote:
SandroSchreiber wrote:Does anyone know where to uncheck 2D timeline scroll now?
Preferences -> User -> UI Settings

Thank you!
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 | Resolve Mini Panel | Win11 22H2
GeForce RTX4090 (551.61 studio driver) | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, Desktop Video 12.8.1

Jim Simon

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 3:54 pm

I like the new location for this option, but I wish it respected the previous setting.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve