How do you Insert a Generator?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

eikonoklastes

How do you Insert a Generator?

PostSun May 06, 2018 11:53 am

I'm trying to Insert a Solid Color into my timeline, and it seems the only way I can do it is to drag it to an empty space, cut it and the paste-insert it, or some other clunky variation of moving my clips around manually before inserting it.

I can't find any combination of keys that will allow me to insert it as I drag it from the Effects Library.

The edit overlay doesn't appear in the Timeline Viewer either, and the Insert button on the Toolbar gives priority to the Media Pool, even if it is hidden and the Effects Library is visible, and will insert a clip instead of the actively highlighted Generator.

Thank you.

eikonoklastes

Re: How do you Insert a Generator?

PostSun May 20, 2018 7:18 am

Version 15.0.0B.043 (beta 3) fixes this issue (sort of). I say "sort of", because while you can now use the Viewer edit overlay to insert, you cannot use the F9 shortcut - the priority still invisibly goes to the Source Viewer, even if you have just clicked on the Generator name in the Effects Library panel. You also cannot use any combination of keys to insert it as you drag it to the timeline directly.

However, it vastly improves on the previous behaviour, so I'm happy with the current implementation. Thanks, Blackmagic!

Return to DaVinci Resolve