Stacked Timeline Dual Players

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

timbutt2

Stacked Timeline Dual Players

PostMon May 07, 2018 11:19 pm

I've been using the stacked timeline feature recently for my "Selects" timeline below my "Edit" timeline. One thing I would love to be able to have happen is to have the Viewers display one timeline on the left side and the other timeline on the right.

I know that normally the right viewer is for selected clips and clips from the Media Pool, but I think it would be amazing to be able to display one of the stacked timelines there. It would be helpful for me to see where I am in my edit timeline on one viewer while I play through my selects timeline on the other viewer. This would be amazing if it could happen.

Additionally, since I know we are still in Beta and this is still a very new feature, I would love to be able to have it easier to go from one timeline to the other with out the need to click in one. Maybe a keyboard shortcut that could make it so that we can jump between the timelines. One thing I do tend to do with my selects timeline while I'm in the edit timeline is scroll along it to find the area that has the next clip I may want to add. When the playhead is farther back or ahead of that point and I click into that timeline from the other it causes a jump and I lose my place. I would love for that to be a little more fluid as well so that I don't have to scroll back to that point.

Some of this is obvious growing pains. But nonetheless it is all amazing and awesome features. I'm loving it. As it improves it will definitely be a huge part of my workflow for certain videos.

If there are any other ideas and suggestions to make this feature better feel free to contribute. Thank you Blackmagic Design! This new feature is amazing! Hope you can integrate my suggestions.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Tom Early

Re: Stacked Timeline Dual Players

PostMon May 07, 2018 11:25 pm

you know you can load a timeline into the source viewer, right?
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

timbutt2

Re: Stacked Timeline Dual Players

PostTue May 08, 2018 8:03 pm

Tom Early wrote:you know you can load a timeline into the source viewer, right?

Yes, but it's not the same as having the source viewer be ganged to one of the timelines I'm scrubbing through and having the project viewer be ganged to the other timeline. I want it to be perfectly ganged to the timeline I'm working on so that I find the select clip I want and I drag it up to the timeline above.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Return to DaVinci Resolve