How to assign source audio tracks to timeline tracks??

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Brian Waingrow

How to assign source audio tracks to timeline tracks??

PostTue May 08, 2018 7:42 pm

Please Help! ;)

After editing on Avid Media Composer for more than 20 years, I recently switched to Resolve 14 Studio. So, I'm still getting up to speed.

I have a clip that was provided by a client that has four audio tracks with the dialogue from a lav on channel 2. How in the world to I get the source channel 2 dialogue track, and only that track, on to track 1 on my timeline? I've looked all through the Resolve 14 manual and searched the internet but as the only answer seems to be to turn off the unnecessary tracks in the clip attributes but that doesn't tell me how to get the source audio channel 2 to my timeline track 1. This is driving me nuts, in the Avid, I would just re- assign source track 2 to record track 1 and be done with it. There doesn't seem to be any way to accomplish this in Resolve.

Here's the track assignments on my timeline:
1. (mono) NATs & dialogue
2. (mono) VO
3. (Stereo) music
4. (Stereo) SFX

Please tell me, as I'm sure is the case, that it's just my inexperience with the program.
Thanks you SO much for any help you may offer.
Many Thanks,

Brian

Tom Early

Re: How to assign source audio tracks to timeline tracks??

PostTue May 08, 2018 11:44 pm

click and drag the a2 icon to a1 and then click on the other lit up audio icons to disable them?
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Brian Waingrow

PostTue May 08, 2018 11:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did that but now I have two A1 tracks! What's so odd is that there doesn't seem to be any way to patch the source tracks to the record tracks like every other NLE. There must be a way to do this, if not I assume editors are still not doing a lot of editing in Resolve. I got tired of roundtripping to and from Avid to get good color.

Am I wrong in assuming Resolve can compete with Media Composer for editing?
Many Thanks,

Brian

Peter Cave

PostWed May 09, 2018 1:23 am

Resolve works VERY differently to Avid.

Click and drag the source channel number required to the desired destination track.
Only enable the red bounding box for the destination track(s) you are editing to.

The A1, A2 icons are not destination track numbers but SOURCE channel numbers!
The red bounding box is the enable/disable selection for the destination track for the edit.
Yes, it is rather strange!

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 11.21.16 am.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 11.21.16 am.png (389.19 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Brian Waingrow

PostWed May 09, 2018 4:04 am

Thank you so much! Now I finally get it. It is quite odd how it works though.

The more I learn about Resolve, the more I like it. I've also resigned myself to not trying to make it work like the Avid. I've watched tons of tutorials which are mostly great but none of them cover this.

Thanks again for taking the time to create the graphic and give a clear explanation. I really appreciate it. I'm sure others will benefit from it as well
Many Thanks,

Brian

Return to DaVinci Resolve