RME Babyface Pro

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Nick Verlinden

RME Babyface Pro

PostFri May 11, 2018 10:48 am

Hi all!

I'm thinking about purchasing the babyface pro because there is a sweet deal in a local shop. Does anybody know if DaVinci Resolve sees all of its inputs and outputs? Because my Echo Audiofire is a nightmare, DaVinci does not show the inputs so I can't use it for voice over work.

Kind regards,
Nick
macOS 10.13.2 High Sierra
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Studio 15

Nick Verlinden

Re: RME Babyface Pro

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 2:39 pm

I finally decided to buy it. I can see that Resolve is able to use all inputs, but only two at a time, and those are the ones selected in Windows 10's Sound Settings as the inputs. Is there any way to use 4 inputs at the same time in resolve, the rest of the inputs are grayed out.

Further more, When I arm a track for recording, and enable input monitoring, the monitoring sound is full of drops (though the recording is fine).

In macOS, I only get to see two inputs of the device.

Screenshot below is for Windows:
Audio Patch RME.png
Audio Patch RME.png (29.42 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 3:06 am

Do you need some driver so Windows can see all the inputs and outputs?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Nick Verlinden

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 10:00 am

Hi Peter,

I installed the latest drivers for Windows and macOS. RME is known for creating rock solid drivers, I would be suprised if there is a driver problem.

I can see all inputs on Windows, but only two of.them light up as you can see in the screenshot, the other ones are greyed out. If you change the active inputs in the windows sound configuration, those inouts will light.up in the patch window in Fairlight. So it seems I am only able to use two inputs at once. Which is a shame vecause I would like to use all four. In other DAWs I can use all inputs simultaniously, though they do use ASIO.

But what is worse is the monitoring, it is unusable. It sounds like the buffer size is not large enoug, dropouts every second.

Kind regards,
Nick
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 11:28 am

Nick Verlinden wrote:I finally decided to buy it. I can see that Resolve is able to use all inputs, but only two at a time, and those are the ones selected in Windows 10's Sound Settings as the inputs. Is there any way to use 4 inputs at the same time in resolve, the rest of the inputs are grayed out.

Further more, When I arm a track for recording, and enable input monitoring, the monitoring sound is full of drops (though the recording is fine).

In macOS, I only get to see two inputs of the device.

Screenshot below is for Windows:
Audio Patch RME.png

This suggest that you going through OS. It would be way better if Resolve could access device directly (and exclusively).

Nick Verlinden

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 1:26 pm

I don't think I have any control over how Resolve uses my audio interfaces, or am I missing something?
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro

Nick Verlinden

PostTue Jul 24, 2018 2:15 pm

Did some more testing today on my MacBook Pro, to see what works in macOS.
In Resolve I only see two inputs, while as you can see in Cubase for example, I see all the inputs.

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 16.19.27.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 16.19.27.png (154.51 KiB) Viewed 1806 times

But at least on macOS there is no crackling dropping out when monitoring the two inputs. On Windows it is completely unusable.
I suggest implementing ASIO support on Windows since Windows Desktop Audio is not built for such applications. All other DAWS support ASIO and it being years around makes it a very reliable and robust system, and is specifically built for low latency audio.

Summary:
RME Babyface Pro (Multichannel IO USB Audio Interface)
Windows 10: All inputs are displayed in Resolve, but only 2 inputs can be used at the same time (the ones that you choose as a recording device in the Windows 10 Sound Settings), the others are grayed out. Monitoring the input is impossible, it is full of drops (about 25 drops per second if you let me guess).
macOS: Only 2 inputs are displayed in Resolve, input monitoring is OK (a bit of lag).
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro

Nick Verlinden

PostFri Jul 27, 2018 12:33 pm

After some further testing and tinkering, I managed to solve the input monitoring problem on windows. It turned out that there was a panel somewhere that was set to 96khz, changing that to 48khz solved that problem. But the other problems remain the same, on Windows I can only use two inputs at a time, and on macOS I can only see 2 inputs.
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Jul 27, 2018 9:03 pm

Did you try setting different things on WIN level in audio settings/recording/advanced?

Dmytro Shijan

PostSun Jul 29, 2018 4:42 am

Starting from v12.5 Resolve have huge problems with external sound cards support. USB and FireWire on Windows and Mac. There are tons of different reports here. It seems they try to fix things partially in last beta but nothing is 100% fixed yet. It is shame that they got problems even on Mac, which is audio friendly platform. 100% of all other audio apps works with audio card, but not Resolve. Seems it holds audio in not too native way. Resolve timeline is 48khz only and higher khz audio is downsampled. Works More reports to support - faster they fix this problem.
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Nick Verlinden

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 8:22 am

Yeah let's hope they find the time to fix this soon. Input monitoring latency on windows is not that great at the moment. I still hope they implement asio support for Windows. I'll see if I can talk to anyone at IBC. Some of the qiestions/problems I spoke of to the BMD guys last year got fixed.
Core i9 7920X, 32GB RAM
GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro

Return to DaVinci Resolve