Resolve Sneakernet (SSD external drive) workflow

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

newadam

Resolve Sneakernet (SSD external drive) workflow

PostTue May 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Greetings!!
I run a small production company with only three editing systems. One Mac Pro desktop and two mobile MacBook Pro laptops for editing. Because we do a lot of work in the field and in coffeeshops, etc. We have always worked on projects off of external SSD drives including the Project files and all media. We will do most of the injesting, file prep, and basic editing on one of the laptops and then bring those files to the Mac Pro for color correction, audio editing, graphics, composition and exporting.

This has worked great with FCPX and Premiere. But we have yet to get a working system with Resolve. I know the Database based system is great for SAN networks. I feel like I must be missing some basic thing and there must be an easy way to do this in Resolve (14 or 15). I bought Studio in hopes of ditching Premiere and CC. But this basic thing keeps being a pain. Is there any basic answer or workflow?

Thanks.

Adam

Dermot Shane

Re: Resolve Sneakernet (SSD external drive) workflow

PostTue May 15, 2018 4:44 pm

i do kinda the same, other than the machines stay put in my office, workflow is similar tho;

- i injest / conform the media on a background machine
- i create an Archive, that wraps the media and project file, and if wanted LUTs, Stills optmised media, and caches to the same archive, and write it all to my SAN, but for you an external SSD
- open the archive on what ever machine i'm working on, often two machines
- i increment timeline names, so Resolve1 did the archive int eh first place, the DRP inside is called "1_v001 conform"
- one working machine "Resolve3" opens the DRP, and i save a new DRP with say "3_v005.2_color_notes"
- next working machine "Resolve4" opens "3_v005.2_color_notes" and does online fixes, saves it with "4_v005.4_fixes"

only one archive is made, that contains all media, for me on the NAS, for you on an external SSD, future DRP's refrence the archive's media pool

trivial to copy a timeline from one project/machine to another as an option to work concurrently, so act1 can be done on one laptop, act3 on another and those timelines copied to the master for example

Return to DaVinci Resolve