DaVinci Resolve 15 Fusion workflow

A place for feedback and discussion on DaVinci Resolve 15
  • Author

Jeff McGuire

DaVinci Resolve 15 Fusion workflow

PostWed May 16, 2018 8:34 pm

I'm a bit confused as to what the proper workflow is for Fusion in DaVinci Resolve 15.

Is there a way to pre-render your comps to an image sequence from Fusion that can be played back in real time during editing. Like say, you export it from Fusion tab to a file repository for that shot. Or am I to suffer through my computer processing complex comp after comp during playback.

If I was doing a show with 50 VFX shots, there is NO WAY my computer would have enough RAM to cache all those shots. In 9.0.2 I have individual shots that take up 50GB of RAM with all the elements in play.

Is there a Fusion "slug" you can place in the timeline and build a shot from that? Saving Fusion projects is weird as the clips need to be present on the timeline in order for the project to load properly. So I'm not really saving a Fusion comp, I'm saving node layouts with media dependencies from the timeline.

This workflow seems bizarre to me.

Uli Plank

Re: DaVinci Resolve 15 Fusion workflow

PostWed May 16, 2018 10:06 pm

You still have the option of Fusion Connect in DR15.

Sam Steti

PostThu May 17, 2018 8:11 am

The ability to still use Fusion Connect is also what I wondered about, because I don't have time to test V15 and have the same concerns at the end of the day. For those you tested, do we have the same smart cache option for a clip on the Edit TL which has ongoing nodes in the Fusion tab ?
Regardless to this question, the Fusion Connect option still available is a good piece of news anyway...
Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 1SSD for system, 2 SSDs raid0 for footage and caches, OSX ElCap, Resolve 14 Studio

Uli Plank

PostSat May 19, 2018 2:01 am

BTW, it's called VFX Connect now.

Igor Riđanović

PostSat May 19, 2018 6:12 am

The idea is that the the comps are cached on the edit timeline using smart or user caching.

Return to DaVinci Resolve 15 Beta