Issues with Restore

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Frank Engel

Issues with Restore

PostThu May 17, 2018 11:28 pm

I am trying to restore a .dra archive I received as part of a training course. The archive was intended for Resolve 14 but I have 15 installed - I originally tried this with beta 2 then saw that 3 was out and installed that and it is doing the same thing.

Since I only have Resolve on one computer and it was on 15 before I downloaded I don't know if this first one is an issue with the archive itself or with the beta...

When I navigate to the archive after clicking the "Restore" icon under the "Databases" list after opening Resolve, I select the .dra folder and see its contents in the list, but the "Open" button does not enable, so I cannot restore the archive.

A second issue I noticed at least with beta 3 is that if I have the file browser open to attempt a restore, then switch to another application and back, the file window will be underneath the Resolve window and I cannot get it to come back over top - but the resolve window is disabled because the file browser is underneath. Unless I moved the file browser away from the resolve window before switching to the other application I have no way of controlling either window except to quit resolve (sometimes needed to force-quit) and re-open.

I am on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

Spencer_Meyer

Re: Issues with Restore

PostFri May 18, 2018 4:26 pm

The restore function in the database list is for restoring Databases, not archives. In the projects list, right click and choose restore from the contextual menu, that will allow you to restore the archive.
DaVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Jean Claude

PostFri May 18, 2018 4:47 pm

Frank Engel wrote:I am trying to restore a .dra archive I received as part of a training course. The archive was intended for Resolve 14 but I have 15 installed - I originally tried this with beta 2 then saw that 3 was out and installed that and it is doing the same thing.

Since I only have Resolve on one computer and it was on 15 before I downloaded I don't know if this first one is an issue with the archive itself or with the beta...

When I navigate to the archive after clicking the "Restore" icon under the "Databases" list after opening Resolve, I select the .dra folder and see its contents in the list, but the "Open" button does not enable, so I cannot restore the archive.

A second issue I noticed at least with beta 3 is that if I have the file browser open to attempt a restore, then switch to another application and back, the file window will be underneath the Resolve window and I cannot get it to come back over top - but the resolve window is disabled because the file browser is underneath. Unless I moved the file browser away from the resolve window before switching to the other application I have no way of controlling either window except to quit resolve (sometimes needed to force-quit) and re-open.

I am on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

Hi,

I think of one thing: between V14.3 and V15.Beta there were updates of the database.
Never tested but I hope that the 'DELTA' is supported during the restoration by the V15.B. from V14.x .dra archive
Ideally: restore in V14.3: then go to the V15 which offers an update of the database.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Frank Engel

PostFri May 18, 2018 5:43 pm

Spencer_Meyer wrote:The restore function in the database list is for restoring Databases, not archives. In the projects list, right click and choose restore from the contextual menu, that will allow you to restore the archive.

Ok... wow... then I am going to convert issue 1 into what should be a blatantly obvious request for improvement: having two different "Restore" options which do two different things in the same window with one being a toolbar icon and the other a context menu option is at a minimum confusing.

If the options need to be separated like that for some reason, can the tooltip for the toolbar icon be changed to "Restore Database" and the one in the context menu to "Restore Archive" in order to make this more clear?

Even better would be for the file selection window for both choices to be the same - if the user picks an archive it restores an archive, if the user picks a database it restores a database - as I'm not sure what value there could be in treating those as different commands?

The other issue I pointed out remains.

Thank you!

Return to DaVinci Resolve