DTS Neural Surround DownMix stopped working after v14.0.1

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

roger.magnusson

DTS Neural Surround DownMix stopped working after v14.0.1

PostFri May 18, 2018 7:55 pm

When Resolve v14 was released I trialed the DTS Neural Surround Collection to see how I liked the surround downmix plugins. It works quite well with Resolve and outputs a stereo track compatible with various decoders, or an LtRt.

Now I bought it and it doesn't work in Resolve v15b3... When you add the plugin the only thing that happens is the Fairlight mute button gets engaged automatically and you can't view the plugin GUI. The upmix plugins work, but not the downmix plugins (which are the useful ones).

"Alright, no big deal, I'll just go back to Resolve v14.3 for now."

Nope. I had to go back to v14.0.1.008 for it to work. Anyone else experienced this? This is on Windows 10 version 1803.

On macOS High Sierra the UA versions work, but the VST versions crash Resolve instantly on v15b3.

Peter Benson

Re: DTS Neural Surround DownMix stopped working after v14.0.

PostSat May 19, 2018 12:50 am

You did post this in tbe Resolve 15 beta Forum, for garnering appropriate attention, right?
roger.magnusson wrote:When Resolve v14 was released I trialed the DTS Neural Surround Collection to see how I liked the surround downmix plugins. It works quite well with Resolve and outputs a stereo track compatible with various decoders, or an LtRt.

Now I bought it and it doesn't work in Resolve v15b3... When you add the plugin the only thing that happens is the Fairlight mute button gets engaged automatically and you can't view the plugin GUI. The upmix plugins work, but not the downmix plugins (which are the useful ones).

"Alright, no big deal, I'll just go back to Resolve v14.3 for now."

Nope. I had to go back to v14.0.1.008 for it to work. Anyone else experienced this? This is on Windows 10 version 1803.

On macOS High Sierra the UA versions work, but the VST versions crash Resolve instantly on v15b3.

RS 14.3.0.014 | MiniMonitor | DTV 10.9.7 | Win64 8.1 | ASUS ROG G751JL, Intel i7HQ, 24GB, 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD, GTX965M | Mackie MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 | Shuttle Pro 2
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

roger.magnusson

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:25 pm

Didn't post it in the beta forum, but sent two reports using the automatic crash report tool that was enabled during some of the betas.

Anyway, the release version of DaVinci Resolve v15 (15.0.0.086) behaves the same way. It crashes completely on macOS and on Windows it simply doesn't do anything but hit the mute button.

Since Fairlight doesn't have a surround compatible downmix function, it's very unfortunate that one of the few plugins that can do it doesn't work. Again, it worked fine in v14.0.0 and v14.0.1.008.

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 9:32 am

roger.magnusson wrote:Since Fairlight doesn't have a surround compatible downmix function
Do you specifically require an LtRt or is the deliverable a complaint LoRo downmix?

Fairlight's Reduce Buss functionality provides one option to create a compliant LoRo deliverable very quickly and easily without additional steps.

Alternatively, Nugen's Halo Downmix provides additional finer control over the process of producing an LoRo deliverable, which the Fairlight Reduce Buss system doesn't currently provide.

For LtRt encoding specifically, the Minnetonka SurCode tools are always preferred to Wave's DTS Neural Surround Collection, although it is now very rarely used (as LoRo is now generally "strongly preferred").

roger.magnusson

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 1:24 pm

The goal is to have an LtRt that works well on Dolby Surround/DTS consumer receivers for upmixing to 5.1.

LoRo being preferred nowadays is depressing, but I guess it's because of all handheld devices with mono speakers.

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 2:03 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:LoRo being preferred nowadays is depressing, but I guess it's because of all handheld devices with mono speakers.
Always preferred discrete 5.1 and LoRo over LtRt.

LtRt was a heavily compromised matrix-encoding system, that thankfully, both Dolby and DTS now consider legacy.

Dolby has even gone so far as to reuse the "Dolby Surround" monikor to refer to their upmixer (part of the Atmos ecosystem), which completely replaces the ProLogic family of technologies.

roger.magnusson

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 3:13 pm

This has been fixed in Resolve v15.1 - tested on macOS and will test on Windows once I'm done playing with all the new stuff. :D

Thank you BMD! The speed of development in the BMD ecosystem is second to none!

Return to DaVinci Resolve